i have been using pot as a supplement to helping me get better....i no longer need ativan, or anytype of sleeping pill...I also have gained weight since starting.  i dont use it all day, not a stoner...dont use it morning.....mid day...and evening, and at bedtime... (do use it toward the end of the day, the evening, 2-4 times till i fall assleep......i am no longer on any meds because i am waiting for a new DX...might be BPD...so meds wont help...getting ready to go into therapy, much much needed...

anyways, what are your experience with pot and your mental issues?

Edited by jajr1977

Sorry, but you probably won't get a lot of atta boyys here.  Pot can be a pleasant 'stupefiant', but it tends to negate the positive effects of psychotropic meds.  And it can blow the lid off of nacant illneses.  Go elsewhere, please.

Yanno, I have one of those dx's that, like BPD, finds medication a useful adjunct to manage symptoms rather than primary illness.

And I find that weed makes it so much worse. I avoid it at all costs, including being with my friends.

I know that everyone I know who smokes multiple times a day is hiding and self-medicating their illness, rather than treating it. But that's just anecdotal, so what do I know?

I hope that you can still find a competant care provider to work with. Ultimately that's most important.

Go elsewhere, please.

Really? Hope you find a way to be less angry and judgmental.

jajr1977, I read your introductory post and it seems like you've been through a number of profoundly difficult things and your psychiatrist has done you a disservice. I'm sorry. I'm also dealing with some borderline and PTSD issues. It's been a really, really long time since I used marijuana, but as I recall it had the same sort of effect that alcohol and ativan do -- suppressing emotions. Since regulating emotions is such a difficult task for people with BPD, drugs like this can seem like the only way to get through the day. Ultimately, of course, you're not actually learning to deal with the emotions so the drugs aren't going to help you get better, at least not on their own. I'd also be concerned about the legality of marijuana -- don't know what the laws are where you live, but getting busted is likely just to make other things even more difficult.

I think therapy is a wise choice. You talked about DBT, which should be helpful with emotional regulation. In my experience, I think you need to be working with someone for that to be really successful, but there are a variety of workbooks and online resources you could use while you're working on getting into therapy. You mentioned a number of traumatic events in your other post -- so you might also consider EMDR. I was somewhat skeptical when my therapist suggested it, but it's actually been helpful in coming to terms with several events in my past. You could also investigate meditation and things like exercise. Both can be helpful in terms of emotional regulation and mood, and assuming you're otherwise healthy they won't hurt. 

Good luck to you. I hope you find a path that leads to healing.

Go elsewhere, please.

Really? Hope you find a way to be less angry and judgmental.

jajr1977, I read your introductory post and it seems like you've been through a number of profoundly difficult things and your psychiatrist has done you a disservice. I'm sorry. I'm also dealing with some borderline and PTSD issues. It's been a really, really long time since I used marijuana, but as I recall it had the same sort of effect that alcohol and ativan do -- suppressing emotions. Since regulating emotions is such a difficult task for people with BPD, drugs like this can seem like the only way to get through the day. Ultimately, of course, you're not actually learning to deal with the emotions so the drugs aren't going to help you get better, at least not on their own. I'd also be concerned about the legality of marijuana -- don't know what the laws are where you live, but getting busted is likely just to make other things even more difficult.

I think therapy is a wise choice. You talked about DBT, which should be helpful with emotional regulation. In my experience, I think you need to be working with someone for that to be really successful, but there are a variety of workbooks and online resources you could use while you're working on getting into therapy. You mentioned a number of traumatic events in your other post -- so you might also consider EMDR. I was somewhat skeptical when my therapist suggested it, but it's actually been helpful in coming to terms with several events in my past. You could also investigate meditation and things like exercise. Both can be helpful in terms of emotional regulation and mood, and assuming you're otherwise healthy they won't hurt. 

Good luck to you. I hope you find a path that leads to healing.

a million thank yous!!!!

Sorry, but you probably won't get a lot of atta boyys here.  Pot can be a pleasant 'stupefiant', but it tends to negate the positive effects of psychotropic meds.  And it can blow the lid off of nacant illneses.  Go elsewhere, please.

wow, you really know how to make someone feel welcome, and safe to come here...I guess you are the resident asshole!

Yanno, I have one of those dx's that, like BPD, finds medication a useful adjunct to manage symptoms rather than primary illness.

And I find that weed makes it so much worse. I avoid it at all costs, including being with my friends.

I know that everyone I know who smokes multiple times a day is hiding and self-medicating their illness, rather than treating it. But that's just anecdotal, so what do I know?

I hope that you can still find a competant care provider to work with. Ultimately that's most important.

lots of good info, thanks

You know, we try not to call each other assholes. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

Pot is really bad for a lot of us folks that are MI. A whole lot. Even if you think it's fine and you aren't one of the "us" you might find out differently if you stopped for a while. Self medicating with pot is not typically the way to go. If you happen to live in a state or country where it is not illegal, then find someone to prescribe it for you. If you do happen to live somewhere that pot is illegal, then you really need to evaluate whether it's worth the legal problems you might encounter. Let alone the paranoia, munchies, etc. that can go along with pot.

wow, you really know how to make someone feel welcome, and safe to come here...I guess you are the resident asshole!

First, you're welcome. Hope there is something helpful for you there.

But I have to say, I called out Vanderk for expressing an opinion in a way that seemed judgmental and hurtful. But I'm now forced to ask you, really? As I'm sure you realize, calling somebody an asshole is not exactly a step on the road to healing. 

One of the things I struggle with in my meditation practice and therapy is sorting out intention. My intention. What is it that I want. Because ultimately your intention drives your behavior and your behavior drives your mood.

Good luck to you.

I truly believe that using marijuana to help yourself is a bad idea. I am very much a hypocrite Because I use it myself. However it does help me quickly out of poor situations Iddon't feel groggy or weird from it the next day and it doesn't change who I am as a person

I've always enjoyed weed but I've always been pretty messed up. I don't believe marijuana made my problems worse. I don't think it solves my current problems but it does make me feel better. Many places it's illegal and I understand the consequence. I don't want to face them so I keep my usage to my home.

Back on topic I do use marijuana to help with my anxiety. It has gotten me into my doctors office a couple of times. I smoked a lot before my first t-doc appointment. It was great. I don't get paranoid I don't get goofy I get mellow.

I think if you use it to help you get towards what you need is OK. I try my best not to use it as a crutch.

This has been a very neat post. I'm sorry that anti marijuana people are being jerks but I'm also sour if any pro pot group comes along telling us to ditch our meds for pot(again I'm a hypocrite)

Just remember that altering an already altered mind is asking for trouble.

Jajr, Both my husband (epilepsy) and I (chronic migraine) were Medical MJ users for 7 years, but we just moved from CA to UT.

Are you in a Medical MJ state? I hope you are buying medical grade, because MJ from the street could have anything in it.

I think saying "I'm not a stoner, I just smoke 4 times a day" is either disingenuous (fuck spelling) or demonstrates a lack of self-awareness. How many mg are you using per day? Are you building up a tolerance, and having to smoke more for the same affect? I used it for headaches, and only used medical MJ on the days I had one. if I used it on days I didn't have headaches, I would get rebound headaches. DH used it prophylactally (or whatever), so he smoked before bed, because most of his seizures are at night. But that was once a day.

And to say it is a supplement shows a very poor understanding of how it should be used.

Obviously, I feel there are benefits to some people. But it is not exactly a treatment for everyone. It helps with anxiety for some people; for others, they get paranoid and nervous. But you claim you are replacing meds that treat anxiety with it. Does your pdoc know this? To be frank, it doesn't sound like you are using it properly.

As to Van Derk, he is aware of what he can and cannot say. He's been hanging out here for many years. You are not some sort of arbiter that can tell other members what they can and cannot say. Did you read the Crazy Rules? I'm wondering, because you joined so recently. If you want cosseting, you have come to the wrong place. I don't care if you stay or go, but if you haven't noticed, we can be blunt. Very blunt. There is a lot to be learned by having people give you reality checks, or critique you. If you can't handle criticism, again, you are in the wrong place.

Perhaps he was partially responding to the title of this thread. 420 is stoner language, and undermines your claim of medical use.

No, I'm not an asshole.  But I'm working at it.  Just reflecting years of observations about what illicits do for and against folks with brain cooties.  I'm a middle aged fuddy duddy who would rather promote responsible means of managing good mental health than "420 24/7".  I've seen lots of folks crash and burn in my years.

You know, we try not to call each other assholes. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

Pot is really bad for a lot of us folks that are MI. A whole lot. Even if you think it's fine and you aren't one of the "us" you might find out differently if you stopped for a while. Self medicating with pot is not typically the way to go. If you happen to live in a state or country where it is not illegal, then find someone to prescribe it for you. If you do happen to live somewhere that pot is illegal, then you really need to evaluate whether it's worth the legal problems you might encounter. Let alone the paranoia, munchies, etc. that can go along with pot.

im sorry about that, and will apologize for that...i actually felt bad that evening, thinking of how i reacted, and lashed out with name calling...I live in CA, so i am all legal, under actual Dr supervision, not just a pot Dr.  I only smoke it in the evening...if i dont, i have to take a sleeping pill, and i already take a lot of pills for my 3 ruptured discs, and nerve pain in leg and hip.

First, you're welcome. Hope there is something helpful for you there.

But I have to say, I called out Vanderk for expressing an opinion in a way that seemed judgmental and hurtful. But I'm now forced to ask you, really? As I'm sure you realize, calling somebody an asshole is not exactly a step on the road to healing. 

One of the things I struggle with in my meditation practice and therapy is sorting out intention. My intention. What is it that I want. Because ultimately your intention drives your behavior and your behavior drives your mood.

Good luck to you.

u r so correct..i have since apolgized for my imature reactio.

I truly believe that using marijuana to help yourself is a bad idea. I am very much a hypocrite Because I use it myself. However it does help me quickly out of poor situations Iddon't feel groggy or weird from it the next day and it doesn't change who I am as a person

I've always enjoyed weed but I've always been pretty messed up. I don't believe marijuana made my problems worse. I don't think it solves my current problems but it does make me feel better. Many places it's illegal and I understand the consequence. I don't want to face them so I keep my usage to my home.

Back on topic I do use marijuana to help with my anxiety. It has gotten me into my doctors office a couple of times. I smoked a lot before my first t-doc appointment. It was great. I don't get paranoid I don't get goofy I get mellow.

I think if you use it to help you get towards what you need is OK. I try my best not to use it as a crutch.

This has been a very neat post. I'm sorry that anti marijuana people are being jerks but I'm also sour if any pro pot group comes along telling us to ditch our meds for pot(again I'm a hypocrite)

Just remember that altering an already altered mind is asking for trouble.

i use it mostly for my insomnia, dont want to take any more pills,  take a lot for my back/nerve damage...those pills also surpress my appetite, without the pot, i dont want to eat...I know this isnt a  cure, or the best fix...but its working for me now...and its not stopping me from finding the right Psyciatric team to help me.

Jajr, Both my husband (epilepsy) and I (chronic migraine) were Medical MJ users for 7 years, but we just moved from CA to UT.

Are you in a Medical MJ state? I hope you are buying medical grade, because MJ from the street could have anything in it.

I think saying "I'm not a stoner, I just smoke 4 times a day" is either disingenuous (fuck spelling) or demonstrates a lack of self-awareness. How many mg are you using per day? Are you building up a tolerance, and having to smoke more for the same affect? I used it for headaches, and only used medical MJ on the days I had one. if I used it on days I didn't have headaches, I would get rebound headaches. DH used it prophylactally (or whatever), so he smoked before bed, because most of his seizures are at night. But that was once a day.

And to say it is a supplement shows a very poor understanding of how it should be used.

Obviously, I feel there are benefits to some people. But it is not exactly a treatment for everyone. It helps with anxiety for some people; for others, they get paranoid and nervous. But you claim you are replacing meds that treat anxiety with it. Does your pdoc know this? To be frank, it doesn't sound like you are using it properly.

As to Van Derk, he is aware of what he can and cannot say. He's been hanging out here for many years. You are not some sort of arbiter that can tell other members what they can and cannot say. Did you read the Crazy Rules? I'm wondering, because you joined so recently. If you want cosseting, you have come to the wrong place. I don't care if you stay or go, but if you haven't noticed, we can be blunt. Very blunt. There is a lot to be learned by having people give you reality checks, or critique you. If you can't handle criticism, again, you are in the wrong place.

Perhaps he was partially responding to the title of this thread. 420 is stoner language, and undermines your claim of medical use.

hello....I am in CA, so im all legal...I prob smoke 1-2 grams a day, and use a vaporizer, its healthier, and a more clean experience.  I smoked a lot when i was younger....stopped for 12 yrs...new recent back/nerve damage has brought me back....i am on neurontin 300mg 3xday and ultram 50mg 3xday...with these, my pain is gone...without, i cant even walk...side effect ..i can sleep, or eat....so the pot helps me with that...and it calms me down...my anxiety levels have lowered...

No, I'm not an asshole.  But I'm working at it.  Just reflecting years of observations about what illicits do for and against folks with brain cooties.  I'm a middle aged fuddy duddy who would rather promote responsible means of managing good mental health than "420 24/7".  I've seen lots of folks crash and burn in my years.

i apologize for calling you an asshole...very imature and wrong of me...i have no chace of crashing and burning with this use...my actual Dr. knows and is monitoring...not just a "pot Dr"...i dont do it to get high, i use it to help me sleep...eat...and it helps calm me, anxiety levels are down

Edited by jajr1977

I posted this asking others experience with medical marijuana and mental illness....not for your opinion on if its good, or the negatives....I am very educated on this subject.  My actual Dr knows about it, and is monitoring me, not just some "pot dr."  and I use it responsibly. 

i have been using pot as a supplement to helping me get better....i no longer need ativan, or anytype of sleeping pill...I also have gained weight since starting.  i dont use it all day, not a stoner...use it morning.....mid day...and evening, and at bedtime...i am no longer on any meds because i am waiting for a new DX...might be BPD...so meds wont help...getting ready to go into therapy, much much needed...

anyways, what are your experience with pot and your mental issues?

I posted this asking others experience with medical marijuana and mental illness....not for your opinion on if its good, or the negatives....I am very educated on this subject.  My actual Dr knows about it, and is monitoring me, not just some "pot dr."  and I use it responsibly. 

Your first posting didn't mention anything at all about medical marijuana and mental illness. Either way, I stand by what I say. I think it's a bad idea. Then again, it has never done anything good for me. I can do without the paranoia and the munchies. 

Oh, you don't want an opinion? That's interesting, since you started a thread asking about anecdotal accounts, which isn't exactly peer reviewed.  People are allowed to participate on any thread they please, whether you sent them an invitation or not.

And now you smoke once a day. Yesterday it was four times.

Have you read the Crazy Rules? You seem to think you have more agency over other members than is the case.

Oh, you don't want an opinion? That's interesting, since you started a thread asking about anecdotal accounts, which isn't exactly peer reviewed.  People are allowed to participate on any thread they please, whether you sent them an invitation or not.

Have you read the Crazy Rules? You seem to think you have more agency over other members than is the case

I do smoke 2-4x a day, starting about 3-5pm only...in the evening when my anxieties are the worst, and to get ready to fall asleep, so i dont have to take a sleeping pill, which dont mix well with me....and i was looking for others who use mmj as a med, not a party drug....and like i daid, not asking if its ok, or if i should do it,,,just others experiences, good or bad....and I REALLY do appreciate the ones who have given constructive info....not just putting it down, and saying its not good.

Edited by jajr1977

jajr1977, I'm a little confused and can see why others are confused. In your initial post you said, "...use it morning.....mid day...and evening, and at bedtime..." unless I'm misreading what you intended to say.

I haven't yet met anyone who has had success using MMJ as their ONLY intervention for MH. Like some others have said, pot does a good job of masking feelings, which can be helpful for a certain amount of control for a certain amount of time. But it doesn't address the underlying issues of why you're having the feelings that you feel like you need to get away from.

I have met a whole slew of people for whom MMJ has made mental illness worse.

It's great that you're noticing it helps your anxiety. I would also support you finding appropriate psychotherapy to help reduce your anxiety so you can medicate less.

jajr1977, I'm a little confused and can see why others are confused. In your initial post you said, "...use it morning.....mid day...and evening, and at bedtime..." unless I'm misreading what you intended to say.

I haven't yet met anyone who has had success using MMJ as their ONLY intervention for MH. Like some others have said, pot does a good job of masking feelings, which can be helpful for a certain amount of control for a certain amount of time. But it doesn't address the underlying issues of why you're having the feelings that you feel like you need to get away from.

I have met a whole slew of people for whom MMJ has made mental illness worse.

It's great that you're noticing it helps your anxiety. I would also support you finding appropriate psychotherapy to help reduce your anxiety so you can medicate less.

i meant to say i dont have to medicate the the day...like takeing a pill 4 xs a day...i just read it back, and i wasnt fully clear....i do use it 2-4 times toward the end of the day....and the im searching hard for the right team to help me, with meds, and therapy....but for now, its doing nothing but good for me.....and i know myself enough to notice when im not "right"  or if the mmj is hindering me....i should have thought out my post, and been more clear...instead i did what i usually do, and get defensive right off the bat( a major personality flaw ive had forever)...then I get lost i sort of a haze?  i also use the mmj along with meditation/praying, and it helps me get to that zen state, and keeps me level headed....not flying off the handle.

Have you read the Crazy Rules? You seem to think you have more agency over other members than is the case.

please read more all posts to understand how many times i do medicate....it is 2-4 times a day, in the evening

• 1 year later...

I've been using an indica strain MJ for it's mild mood stabilizing affect. I take the pot on top of my meds, been doing it for years and it works FOR ME. It does not work for others like every other med in existance. MJ is no different from prozac in that respect. This is because of the fact there almost almost endless variables that come into play in one's relationship to any type of chemical. I'm not a doctor but I play one at music festivals.

Edited by subject

• 9 months later...

I have treatment resistant depression, ADD, and frequent chronic pain issues. I only ever smoked weed a handful of times in my life but as I'm in WA I thought it was worth hitting up a recreational shop to test out some strains. Most I found were relaxing, but pretty tiring, not a side effect I want except at night, and some gave me insomnia despite the sleepiness. In theory sativas should be more energetic and indicas good for sleep but I got pretty similar results from all strains. However, the relaxation and pain relief are a welcome result, and I haven't had any major side effects like paranoia, anxiety or psychosis. It's a lot like having a couple drinks, nice to unwind but not something you can reasonably use all day or too much in general.