Hypomanic with addition of Zoloft

I just titrated upmtom150mg ofnzoloft because 100 wasn't working this time.

For the last week I have felt hypo, which I almost never have. It has been great . I am so productive and happy.i always have dysphoric manias, so it isn't full blown.

How long would you guess this hypo would last$?

Probably until it escalates to full-blown or crashes into depression or a mixed state/rapid cycling hell. Is your doctor aware of what's going on? I know hypo feels great, I've been there on SSRIs, but it doesn't last and usually ends badly.

Edited by hagar running

Zoloft made me sky high manic. Like pure euphoria!

I know it feels really good, but could you call your pdoc before it gets out of hand? You can nip this in the bud now. It may or probably will get worse (like full-blown mania) or you could crash to depression, etc. I would hate to see that happen to you.

SSRIs are notorious for sending people sky high. Prozac sent me through the roof, I was so high, it is scary to look back on it with the knowledge I have now. I would call your pdoc, yesterday. We don't actually know that this *is* hypo, since you haven't been in touch with your pdoc.

But how long any given hypo episode will last is a complete unknown. Some episodes last two weeks. Some longer: I was hypo for Senior yr. of high school (took 7 courses, when the limit as supposd to be 5), my Jr. year of college (only two semesters I made Dean's list), then crashed during the summer. So yes, it feels great, and you can be really productive. But you are going to either shoot up towards Mania, or crash. Depression feels worse that Hypomania feels good.

We have a friend who was hypo (with the occasional dip, which he attributed to fatigue) for long enough to get *2* PhDs, form a startup, and then sell it to Agilent for $14mil. Then his family moved back to Oz, where he finally crashed. This was 7 years ago. He's been struggling with depression pretty much constantly. His wife has a PhD (merely one, the piker) in Biosciences, and is working at a university, but he is not. Of course, they both could retire on the money from his sale. But he wants to be working, too, if he had the energy.

So he is in his 7th year of depression. In my mind, not a good tradeoff.