Psychiatrist encouraging impulsiveness

And I'm having a hard time dealing with this.

I'm bipolar 1, diagnosed about 2 years ago after I had a manic episode of obsessive thoughts about a girl I liked. I've always been a very strategic thinking type person, looking at all the possibilities in a situation to find the best outcome with the lowest risk.

For the girl situation it was to minimize the possible social fallout, I however couldn't move, I was stuck in an endless loop of going through the possibilities only to come back to the same original action I was going to take. 

2 years on, seeing a new psych, and she is far more into the psychological triggers that drive me. The over thinking drives horrible anxiety for me, my doctor says despite my extraordinary efforts nobody is perfect and that it is perfectly ok to make mistakes in life - take action, suppress the overwhelming urge to think through the consequences and just deal with the repercussions. 

In the 2 months since I spoke to her about this I have made some incredible changes to my life, I bought a car I had delayed 2 years because I couldn't find 'the right one' and I got back in contact with a girl I previously thought was out of my league.

The thing with this girl is that i have already slept with her, she has done nothing to make me think she doesn't want to go out with me and has been the one to imitate things and YET all I think about is the things that could go wrong.

Crazy boards, please, suggest ways a bipolar 1 person can be MORE impulsive

you are already doing the right things re dating and new car.

I used to act on impulse.I was bat shit.even in crisis units I was sometimes too much.

shit,I dont have any advice ,I'm struggling with this myself.

I want just peace though now.no more action.I like to be inside.

we're all different.

good luck.

I'm the same way. Especially when it comes to buying a car. I need to but I tend to over think things as well instead of making a quick decision. I'm curious to see what others recommend.

I've always heard to keep your impulsiveness to a minimum so this is new to me also. Maybe someone else out there has been like us and can offer some insight.

I have actually bounced ideas off people in the past to help make those big decisions though. That seems to help a lot.

Edited by BAM1812

I have dealt with the kind of issue you speak of, the anxious over analytical thinking that blocks actions. Honestly though for me, it was never really the bipolar part of me; rather it was the anxious.

To me, it sounds like your doctor wasn't really trying to encourage you bipolar impulsive behavior. But rather he was trying to get you to move forward with your thoughts, rather than almost obsess & analyze them to the point where no action is taken at all. 

Honestly, the idea to get a car or contact a girl who you like does not sound "impulsive" but rather pure plan & action. And that is a good thing. If your thought was to suddenly campaign a pickle factory for abuse to cucumbers I would say that was impulsive :P however that is not the case.

This may be good for you. When I started to "just do" after a thought, it helped me immensely with anxiety & related depression.

I have actually bounced ideas off people in the past to help make those big decisions though. That seems to help a lot.

This is what seems to get me in the most trouble...I over think things, get stuck on repetitive cycles of decisions and end up driving my friends off a cliff talking about it.

Yeah, impulsiveness is something that my pdoc does not encourage. Although to me, it sounds more like you have chosen a direction than impulsiveness.

That is a much better way of putting it, I have always been extremely goal orriented, having a lot of focus and ability to get some major projects done in my life by a young age (masters, high paying job, competed in 2 different sports in the last 2 years all by 26) but actually pulling the trigger on what is HIGHLY likely to be the right decision from the start is a major issue for me.

I have dealt with the kind of issue you speak of, the anxious over analytical thinking that blocks actions. Honestly though for me, it was never really the bipolar part of me; rather it was the anxious.

To me, it sounds like your doctor wasn't really trying to encourage you bipolar impulsive behavior. But rather he was trying to get you to move forward with your thoughts, rather than almost obsess & analyze them to the point where no action is taken at all. 

Honestly, the idea to get a car or contact a girl who you like does not sound "impulsive" but rather pure plan & action. And that is a good thing. If your thought was to suddenly campaign a pickle factory for abuse to cucumbers I would say that was impulsive :P however that is not the case.

This may be good for you. When I started to "just do" after a thought, it helped me immensely with anxiety & related depression.

Yeah, I'm starting to understand the difference between a mood disorder and straight up real world anxiety issues and the doctor is really trying to help me understand the consequences of inaction and over analyzing and then move me into the mindset of taking action and having the confidence to deal with what happens next.

I asked the girl out last night for a drink btw, she said yes :)

Good for you :) identifying what your symptoms are is the biggest step forward to finding treatment that really works.

I asked the girl out last night for a drink btw, she said yes :)

Hooray!!! :D