So it is my birthday next Saturday and I was wondering if it was ok to have a drink? and how will it differently effect me being on an AP.

I am on low dose Risperdal and I asked my pdoc if its ok as I will be going out to dinner for my birthday and he said it was fine to drink in moderation and my old pdoc (who treated my anorexia) was fine me with me drinking with my Seroquel only in low amounts (I also asked my mental health nurse and he sees no problem in it).

What should I expect and how should I prepare for this? my Risperdal box says that drinking may increase the drowsiness? I was only going to have one or two drinks and this will be the first time in years.

Thanks

p.s is it different to drinking on no meds? I'm just worried about the side effects and how I will feel.

For me I can drink in moderation, meaning I get roughly double the bang for your buck. Instead of a multiple drinks to tipsy, its normally one or two. I get drunk very easily and quickly, compared to my premed self. Other than that, I have no real adverse effects.

I've been drinking on my Invega for as soon as I was on it, it is basically a metabolite of Risperdal and more like it's sister drug. I just get drunk faster, that's all I've noticed. You'll be fine, just don't drink too much. Max it out at 3 and 2 if it is the first time you are doing this, again these are all just personal recommendations and my experiences. 

Happy Birthday by the way! 

Often meds increase the effect of the alcohol, meaning you'll feel drunker faster. This is true for me.

Your mental health team cleared you for drinking, so I don't see why a drink or two on your birthday would be bad.

One thing I've noticed since being on AP meds is that I no longer get super-happy-bouncy-horny drunk or ragey-throwing-shit-and-yelling drunk (thankfully on that one) like I did before. Now I just get introspective and sleepy and, sometimes, sad. And I agree with others in that I get drunk on a lot less alcohol than I previously needed. Like, 2 or 3 cocktails or glasses of wine and I'm good, a six pack of beer and I'm asleep. I also get hangovers now when I rarely if ever got them in my pre-med binge drinking days. Of course, I guess that could all be attributed to being older rather than my meds, but who knows?

Go out and enjoy your birthday! 

Edited by hagar running

Happy birthday and have a fun night! I agree with the others that you should max it out like at 2 or so drinks like you said you were going to drink.

I also find I can drink much less and get a "buzz". I limit myself to like 1-3 drinks if I'm going to drink and I can not handle more than 3. In fact 3 gets me quite tipsy. Even one drink will give me a "buzz".

Oh and just to be safe you should probably get a DD to drive you home. Just because you do not know how the med and alcohol combo will affect you. Better safe than sorry is what I always say.

I'm the opposite, I can't get drunk as easily as I used to (this was before I quit for a year), and just had to stop because I didn't want to be drinking dangerous amounts. It seems the meds made it harder for me to drink like I used to, probably a good thing, lol

I'm using Seroquel, and I can drink alcohol, like I could before I started using Seroquel, wich means for me I can drink like +/- 8 Bacardi Cola's, ofcourse this is different for everyone so it's really by a case on case basis, my psych is fine with me drinking alcohol, as long as I don't push my boundaries.

One thing I've noticed since being on AP meds is that I no longer get super-happy-bouncy-horny drunk or ragey-throwing-shit-and-yelling drunk (thankfully on that one) like I did before. Now I just get introspective and sleepy and, sometimes, sad. And I agree with others in that I get drunk on a lot less alcohol than I previously needed. Like, 2 or 3 cocktails or glasses of wine and I'm good, a six pack of beer and I'm asleep. I also get hangovers now when I rarely if ever got them in my pre-med binge drinking days. Of course, I guess that could all be attributed to being older rather than my meds, but who knows?

Go out and enjoy your birthday! 

this is me, too.  i haven't even attempted a drink in probably two years now, since i now seem to get the hangover part before the drunk part (and really i shouldn't have any at all on my meds anyway).  when i last drank, i noticed i also felt like you described.  being drunk (on two glasses of wine) made me sad and tired.  i just wanted to go to bed and cry.  i try to remember that when i'm jealous of all the people around me who can drink with ease.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been drinking on ALL my meds. I agree that you do get drunk faster.

Premed days, I could take 10 shots of tequila and not feel a thing. Now, 3-4 shots and I'm down.

As they say, drink in moderation and slowly. Gauge what the effects of alcohol will be. And DO NOT DRIVE.

Just my two cents.