Technophobia. Anyone relate?

I am not a total technophobe, of course, since I am sitting here typing on my WiFi-connected laptop.  However, I feel like I am much less plugged-in than my peers.  When people used to ask why I did not have text messaging, I used to jokingly tell them that I was Amish.

I do not have a high-end smartphone which can connect to the internet.  I have never used Twitter.  I got rid of my Facebook profile a while back.  I dislike text messaging and would prefer to talk on the phone.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people use these technologies and products.  They have their definite upsides.  It is just weird to go to a restaurant and see a family sitting at a table, each staring down at their phones instead of talking to one another.

In a sense, I feel out of place.  Can anyone relate?  Does anyone here not have a smartphone?  Do you feel like an oddball in this techno-centric society?

I'm not sure if I have a smart phone or not. Yeah, pretty bad. I use Facebook but nothing else like that. I don't really know many people outside of my family so it's not a big deal to me. And I hate texting.

You're not alone :)

Not exactly technophobic.  But I never rush out to bet the newest and shiniest objects.  And I don't participate on social media.  My cell phone isn't smart at all, and it's used only for outgoing calls.  Once a month I have to pack a pager.  Somewhere between a Luddite and Amish.

I relate 100 percent.

just now I erased yesterdays blog trying to create a new one.I did not meant to do that.

I gave up with the  blog in the end.

hooking up a new stereo,losing connection to the internet,TVcable falling out,

all these are CRISIS situations in my house.

I dont know what to fucking do and end up freaking out.

I can relate.  I have a facebook, but don't use it much.  I really dislike the Big Brother-ishness of facebook.  I use an older laptop.  My phone connects to the internet, but it isn't a smartphone, I'm pretty sure.  Technology has it's uses, but I feel that people over use it a lot. 

As a side note, I have noticed some of my friends 'checking in' at different locations on facebook from their phones.  Do we all need to know where someone ate dinner, had drinks at, or worked out at all the time?  That function is a stalker's dream come true. 

I have considered joining the Secret Luddites Society, however I have decided I am not ready considering I recently found out they do not have an online forum. I am a confused 25 year old who grew up in the internet & technology generation, who hem's and haw's on whether I want to embrace it (with consequences) or deny it (with consequences).

It is a very strange & unnatural human conflict.

You're right Gibson, we Luddites don't have an online forum. We rely on messages in bottles and smoke signals. Oddly, I was in college when the first mainfraims became widely available (to universities, anyhow). By my senior year I got to play with early generation microprocessors (hardly micro). We used to play a Star Trek game that was entirely paper based--no monitors in those days. When the college found out how much paper we were burning up we were frozen out. So it's not that I've stayed away from technology, emerging or otherwise. I just prefer the natural world. And my privacy.

Maybe the Luddites Society wont be so bad. I like playing with fire & smoke.

True story:

The first real technology I ever faced was in 6th grade. Before that I never even saw a computer, let along touched one. In matter of fact, all the public schools I went t  even the teachers still graded with pad & pencil, and their lesson plans were created the same way. It was a world of different when I changed schools. I was in 6th grade in a public school in Florida where it was paper & pen, and when I moved to DOD school in a different country (same grade), 3 of my classes were technology based. My first day I had a computer class and I put the floppy disk (yes, floppy disk) in upside down. My instructor got severely pissed and yelled "WHATS THE MATTER? HAVE YOU NEVER TOUCHED A COMPUTER BEFORE??"

Nope!

I guess I am a little bit. Or, I really feel no need to learn anything else technical.

I bought the laptop Im working on now in 2005 and it was refurbished in 2010.

I have a netbook I bought in 2008.

When either of these computers has their final day I will be crushed.

I do have a "smart phone" but I hate it. I don't like touching the screen. I don't like touching any screen. I've had a blackberry before and want the new one. I don't do "apps." It just so happens that FB was already installed as an app or whatever on my current phone. Plus, when you read the terms and conditions of an app it says scary stuff like "we will control your camera and take photos whenever we want. We will do whatever we want with your SD card (or whatever the hell it is)." I haven't been able to get google maps to work since I got the dang thing more than a year ago (this is not an iphone).

That's why I have a child. :)

At kidlet's age 2 I bought a cheap dvd player. For the life of me I could not figure out how to install it. She comes running at me "mommy mommy I'll fix it." Oh god, I did not want her near electricity. I'm right there almost holding her and she plugs in all the cables and says the magic words. I plug it into an outlet. We had a working dvd player.

Now at age 6 she knows that my computers suck more than her father's. She knows how to fix my cell phone whenever I get in a tizzy and can't do it. She knows how to fix the tv when I accidentally push "analog" and it doesn't just go back to digital because i scream at it. She knows how to play with the directv if we get an error message. If its something the user can fix - she can do it. She has a tablet that we bought for her 6th birthday. Someone gave her 2 refurbished iphones (not me and Im not paying for it).

So, um, yeah....why do I need to learn anything more about technology? I know enough. Kidlet can do the rest. :)

db

I am a confused 25 year old who grew up in the internet & technology generation, who hem's and haw's on whether I want to embrace it (with consequences) or deny it (with consequences).

Same.  Well stated.  Using all of this technology has become second nature, but I do feel conflicted between acceptance and resistance.