Not sure if this is the right place but if it isn't please move it.

For the past 10 days I have been having severe bouts of visual hallucinations. This isn't a new thing. I have bouts but I'm not diagnosed with schitzoaffective or schizophrenia.

My therapist is away and the therapist covering told me today "she is backed in to a corner". She is out of ideas. Before the therapist went on holidays she dismissed my concerns.

I see the therapist and pdoc though the same clinic and am waiting to hear from pdoc. Only saw him a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone been though this or just understands how frustrating this is. I'm really scared and no one gets it.

Thanks for letting me rant.

It sounds really scary. I also mainly deal with visuals and they can be extremely frightening. It's also frustrating because my visuals were the last thing to go away until we found the right dose of medication. In my experience, they can be very stubborn. 

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I'm also so sorry that your therapist dismissed your concerns, and said she was "backed into a corner," that must have been hard to hear. What did your pdoc say about the visuals? 

We are here to listen and help best we can. Many people here understand the frustration and fear of living with hallucinations. 

Thanks for the quick reply! It's so good to hear someone understands because at the moment I'm feeling pretty alone.

I haven't heard from my pdoc yet. See my GP on Thursday and everyone is pinning their hopes on them but they don't do meds. Because I have BPD everyone blames that.

They also say because I'm on 30mg of olanzapine and 5mg olanzapine PRN that this shouldn't be happening but it is. I wish there was some way out of this.

You definitely aren't alone. I started having visuals outside of mood episodes a little over a year ago (had had visual hallucinations for years before that, on and off, just didn't know what was going on and why, brushed it off) and was dx'd with schizoaffective disorder. Now the visuals come when I'm stressed it seems, or if I stop taking my antipsychotic, or if I'm in a mood episode.

I hope your pdoc gets back to you soon, visuals are no fun...keep posting, we understand!

I'm on a dose of olanzapine that keeps the most frightening experiences at bay; at least, it's been months, thankfully. However, I do still have frequent visuals. My pdoc told me that reality testing disturbances like visual hallucinations can still occur even on meds. I've had mine since childhood, and I'm accustomed to them as part of my reality; it would bother me more to be without them. But the scary crap is not something I'd wish on an enemy, and I really feel your pain and confusion. I'm sorry that the fill in therapist didn't have anything to give you support wise. I've had a therapist tell me that she didn't know what to say. It was very hard to hear. If it helps, please continue to talk here. There are folks who get it. :)

I hope your pdoc has something for you. Maybe it would be possible to ask pdoc about a med tweak, or to trial something different? I tried risperidone and got no joy, but olanzapine seems to do the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am also seeing things, so to speak, although I don't have visual hallucinations right now. What I see are coincidences and one is driving me crazy. Any tips?

I was thinking of a movie all day, maybe all week, who knows. Thing is, that movie was playing on TV right as I came back home and my brother was watching it today. Plus, the movie was The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus, or something like that, which is pretty crazy by itself and well... it's sort of even feeding delusional thinking on me (no need to talk about the delusions themselves, I guess).

I have insomnia, I guess, not that a physician has confirmed it, so I really hope I get to sleep. That is looking hard at the moment.

Hope this is on the right place. Hope someone understand what I mean : S

---

EDIT: I only read the first post before, now I have read them all. If the conversation isn't over and I am interrupting, or if this best has its own thread, pls let me know. Plus, my bad : P

Edited by Lemmiwinks

I have seen people, always strangers, since I was 16. My hallucinations aren't as extreme as they used to be. I feel that ignoring them may have been the key. Another thing that helps me is when I feel like they're around, watching, ready to manifest; I tell them (in my mind) to go away, leave me alone, I don't care what you have to say.

I can also relate with lemmiwinks. The coincidences come in visions, dreams, and compulsive thoughts.

These things led me to believe I was a psychic, a medium, could read minds, etc. My advice would be to never believe those things. It only feeds the illness.

I used to see things and hear voices which was really scary for me at the time I thought these things I were seeing were real and no one could convince me it was in my head until I got on Meds I was diagnosed in 2003 with schizoaffective disorder GAD And Bipolar not sure which type. So I know exactly what you're going through. The Things I seen back then I couldn't explain it was more Spiritual than ordinary people that I was seeing. What I seen I hope to never ever see in my lifetime ever again. To get to the point back then I seen demons or devils and some types of creatures walking around and Spirits that's what they looked like to me.I no longer see these things haven't for the past 7 or 8 years or so since being on meds one Antipsychotic and anti depressant.I also thought people were always talking about me And working against me with Black Magic or some type of magic I was told this not to mention who told me this. And I believed it at the time sometimes I still do believe that black magic is being cast upon me and against me despite me being on meds. People are afraid to come around me now that part I believe don't ask me why I just do. Because of things I have done in my past is the reason I believe that people have done magic against me then blame it on me saying I am the one who's a witch when I am not and that's the Gods Honest truth. Anyhow just rambling a Little so don't forget that last statement I made. Anyone else having hulicinations and seeing the same things I had seen or worse?

Thanks for the replies. I have been in another place mentally and forgot to reply.

My Pdoc is going to review my antipsychotic in a few weeks, still having mild hallucinations but not to the extent they were.

Thanks to you for the advice on stress and sleep, both of those have made a huge difference and for those of you who are struggling hang in there.