CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone know if either Seroquel or Lithium could cause Blood pressure increases?  I have always had an athletic Blood pressure usually around 115/70.  Well I recently haven't been feeling well and I thought it was mania breaking through but I just happened to check my Blood pressure at the local pharmacy and it was high.  I am now monitoring it and its been extremelly high for me.  High 140s over upper 90s lower 100s.  The only thing I can find on any of the sites about side effects do not include anything about increased Blood Pressure.  The absolutely only mention of it was on this site and that Lithium might interfere with certain Blood pressure medicines that work on the sodium channel.  Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

seroquel tends actually to have the opposite effect: it can cause drops in blood pressure, leading to dizziness. i've seen one or two studies suggesting that lithium may lead to increaces in blood pressure over time, but generally over some years and in a specific age range - generally, over 45. lithium can also mess with thyroid function, causing hypothyroidism, but that too would cause low blood pressure, rather than high.

it's possible one or the other or both in combination is causing the blood pressure increace by some means i can't figure out (though it's unlikely, as far as i can tell), or it's possible that something else entirely is to blame. i'd let your prescribing doctor know and maybe schedule a checkup with a GP, just to rule out any problems.

have you been having regular lithium levels done? and have they been checking thyroid function for you? hyperthyroidism can present with symptoms similar to bipolar disorder, so it's always something to check.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if either Seroquel or Lithium could cause Blood pressure increases? I have always had an athletic Blood pressure usually around 115/70. Well I recently haven't been feeling well and I thought it was mania breaking through but I just happened to check my Blood pressure at the local pharmacy and it was high. I am now monitoring it and its been extremelly high for me. High 140s over upper 90s lower 100s. The only thing I can find on any of the sites about side effects do not include anything about increased Blood Pressure. The absolutely only mention of it was on this site and that Lithium might interfere with certain Blood pressure medicines that work on the sodium channel. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

Rick. Although I'm not on Seroquel, I am now on a low dose of Lithium and am having the same problem.

I am taking Wellbutrin (300mg) and Zyprexa (2.5mg--I had been on higher in the past, went off of it as my pdoc was concerned with the weight gain and the cholesterol increases but he ended up putting me back on again but at a lower dose. Great stuff to calm my rearend right down and let me sleep at night).

My pdoc just recently added 450mg (a sub therapeutic dose?) of Lithium to start off with. I have only been on for 2 weeks, and had my bloodwork done at the end of the 1st week-just the lithium check. I don't have another appt scheduled with the pdoc until end of next month, and so won't learn what my blood serum levels were until then....but if they were out of wack, I figured he'd be getting a hold of me! :)

I just went to my GP-doc last night, who is watching over my cholesterol, weight etc. She normally takes my blood pressure. It usually is somewhere around < 120/80 (and this is almost always after driving like a maniac in traffic to get to the appt so probably a little higher than "normal"). Last night she took my blood pressure and said it was HIGH!! ~> 140/100. :wtf: She wanted to know what I was doing differently. The only difference is the lithium. I have still been swimming 3000yds/day 5days a week. My diet has not changed. I have not been real thirsty on the lithium or running to the bathroom excessively so far..... I have not screwed with my salt intake. I did have a couple of caffeinated sodas at lunch yesterday, but that is par for the course. But no extreme amounts of caffeine...... She wanted to put me on blood pressure meds now, too, ;) in addition to my anti-cholesterol med. I had her hold off and now have to go back and see her in a month to have her recheck it. If my BP is still high then, I know she will push again for the BP meds...... :cussing: I'll have my blood work done for my cholesterol check before that visit next month and I got her to include the tests for my thyroid and kidney tests at the same time, along with another lithium check in the order for the test.

My GP is worried as there is a history of heart attack and stroke in my family. My Mom has had High Blood Pressure, and has taken meds for it for as long as I can remember. My Dad had a lot of heart problems and My Dad and brother both died of a stroke. But I have NEVER had high Blood Pressure..... usually running more to the lower side in the past.

I have noticed a little bit of a "headache" since going on the lithium. More like a constant pressure in my head. I did mention this to my Pdoc, but this didn't concern him.

Should I be trying to get a hold of my pdoc and not wait a month.....? Or hang in there until I see the GP again and the Pdoc next month?

Any other thoughts?

I just went to my GP-doc last night, who is watching over my cholesterol, weight etc. She normally takes my blood pressure. It usually is somewhere around < 120/80 (and this is almost always after driving like a maniac in traffic to get to the appt so probably a little higher than "normal"). Last night she took my blood pressure and said it was HIGH!! ~> 140/100.

...... She wanted to put me on blood pressure meds now, too, ;) in addition to my anti-cholesterol med. I had her hold off and now have to go back and see her in a month to have her recheck it. If my BP is still high then, I know she will push again for the BP meds......

Mmkay. My BP is normally high-normal, which is pretty good for an angry stressed-out smoker, no? Last time I was in it was rather over your "HIGH".

This brings me back several years to my very first cholesterol check. It came in at 212. My gp was like, well, at that level and with you as a diabetic, we might at some point look at putting you on statins or something.

Emphasis added to make a point--a single reading, never does a dxfor an rx make.

Several months later I suggested another cholesterol test. he asked why I thought I needed one; I said, well, just thought it'd be a good idea to check. Came in at 169--he was kind of amazed, said to keep doing whatever i was I was doing. (keep smoking and drinking! yay!) My last check about a year ago was in the high 140s.

my point? What kind of DICKHEAD doc takes one office BP reading and says "SHIT we gotta throw these nasty meds at you!!!"? Maybe you should hit some of those chair machines they seem to have at damn near every Wal-mart and pharmacy--i do--and see if your BP is around normal or in that, ahem, "high" range.

Seriously. My last offive BP was probably off cuz, it appears, I was in the beginning stages of the flu. I would be PISSED if my doc had suggested a BP med cuz it turned out I had a virus. That's time to consider a long conversation and/or a new doc.

Drink more water. Probably not an issue, but never hurts with lith. Headaches...shit, happens with a lot of meds. i don't think it's a prob either.

I remember a friend once that I visited in intensive care. His bp had hit something like 270 over i dunno. Spraying nosebleeds and shit...that's what you get for drinking, shit, a keg a night or whatever. He was in his early 30s at the time. Saw hime last week. He seemed rather fine. One can live with a bit of high BP and not have to scream about the sky falling down, mmmkay? My personal--if you keep showing higher range BPs for, say, 6 months, a year out--consider meds. A higher hit here or there at the office...stats tells us it'll happen regardless.

Rick,

Actual diagnosis of hypertension requires at least 3 elevated readings - taken correctly - per JNC7. And even once it's confirmed, with the pressures you report, you would follow the diet/exercise/lifestyle route first.

You can see the JNC7/ICSI guidelines here.

Unless you have some very unique risk factors, it would be odd to start treatment at this point.

Keep swimming. Keep sodium consumption reasonable. As CNS has suggested, use the cuffs at the pharmacies, or, if you live near a school of nursing, there will be dozens of people who would possibly be thrilled to check your blood pressure in clinical courses. Remember to sit quietly for 5 minutes before you have it checked - no driving fast to keep your appointment on time and racing up the stairs.

I'll concur with Silver and CNS, with just a few things to add.

Wellbutrin is good for a few points of BP increase, but I assume you've been taking that a while and still had readings usually 120/80 or lower. 140/100 after racing to a late appointment - with an SNRI in your bloodstream - isn't all that bad for a single measurement.

In addition to diet, exercise, and the usual important stuff, just make sure you're getting enough non-caffeinated liquids in. Being a bit dehydrated chronically (like back when I had an outdoors job) can leave you run down, headache-y, and in possession of a slightly elevated BP. Unless you really overdo it, more water can help a whole lot more than it hurts, especially with an SNRI and lithium on your plate.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if either Seroquel or Lithium could cause Blood pressure increases? I have always had an athletic Blood pressure usually around 115/70. Well I recently haven't been feeling well and I thought it was mania breaking through but I just happened to check my Blood pressure at the local pharmacy and it was high. I am now monitoring it and its been extremelly high for me. High 140s over upper 90s lower 100s. The only thing I can find on any of the sites about side effects do not include anything about increased Blood Pressure. The absolutely only mention of it was on this site and that Lithium might interfere with certain Blood pressure medicines that work on the sodium channel. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

Rick. Although I'm not on Seroquel, I am now on a low dose of Lithium and am having the same problem.

I am taking Wellbutrin (300mg) and Zyprexa (2.5mg--I had been on higher in the past, went off of it as my pdoc was concerned with the weight gain and the cholesterol increases but he ended up putting me back on again but at a lower dose. Great stuff to calm my rearend right down and let me sleep at night).

My pdoc just recently added 450mg (a sub therapeutic dose?) of Lithium to start off with. I have only been on for 2 weeks, and had my bloodwork done at the end of the 1st week-just the lithium check. I don't have another appt scheduled with the pdoc until end of next month, and so won't learn what my blood serum levels were until then....but if they were out of wack, I figured he'd be getting a hold of me! :)

I just went to my GP-doc last night, who is watching over my cholesterol, weight etc. She normally takes my blood pressure. It usually is somewhere around < 120/80 (and this is almost always after driving like a maniac in traffic to get to the appt so probably a little higher than "normal"). Last night she took my blood pressure and said it was HIGH!! ~> 140/100. ^_^ She wanted to know what I was doing differently. The only difference is the lithium. I have still been swimming 3000yds/day 5days a week. My diet has not changed. I have not been real thirsty on the lithium or running to the bathroom excessively so far..... I have not screwed with my salt intake. I did have a couple of caffeinated sodas at lunch yesterday, but that is par for the course. But no extreme amounts of caffeine...... She wanted to put me on blood pressure meds now, too, ;) in addition to my anti-cholesterol med. I had her hold off and now have to go back and see her in a month to have her recheck it. If my BP is still high then, I know she will push again for the BP meds...... :) I'll have my blood work done for my cholesterol check before that visit next month and I got her to include the tests for my thyroid and kidney tests at the same time, along with another lithium check in the order for the test.

My GP is worried as there is a history of heart attack and stroke in my family. My Mom has had High Blood Pressure, and has taken meds for it for as long as I can remember. My Dad had a lot of heart problems and My Dad and brother both died of a stroke. But I have NEVER had high Blood Pressure..... usually running more to the lower side in the past.

I have noticed a little bit of a "headache" since going on the lithium. More like a constant pressure in my head. I did mention this to my Pdoc, but this didn't concern him.

Should I be trying to get a hold of my pdoc and not wait a month.....? Or hang in there until I see the GP again and the Pdoc next month?

Any other thoughts?

Updates--

Well, I had self checked my BP several times over the XMAS holidays (on a machine at the Y) and I had readings of 124/95, 136/84, 130/90. So not as high as when I was at the Doc's but still borderline high. I went back to see my GP a week ago and my BP was 134/90 something. So she still wants to put me on BP meds. I had her hold off again until I saw the PDoc and apprised him of the situation. {She also wanted to restrict my sodium/reduce the levels and I had to convince her I wasn't going to screw with my Na levels while on Li}. So I go back to the GP in 2 months, and if my BP levels are still not down, I'm sure she will insist on the BP meds

My Pdoc was not aware of lithium effecting BP any, but when I reported this to the Pdoc, he took me off the lithium entirely (and my sl's were only ~ 0.3 from my last blood test, thyroid and kidney OK...)

Since then I have felt less tremulous (jittery feeling in the stomach- but not nausea per se). We'll see what the next set of BP readings are...... Be good to be done with the acne though!

I ran across one other report (and not scientific, anecdotal at best) of someone on lithium encountering a raise in BP.

• 3 months later...
Guest Guest

first of all, i would go in and see your doc so they can manually check your blood pressure. many of the machines in the local pharmacy haven't been calibrated in a while, so they can be off. other things to think of that might affect your blood pressure: stress, anxiety, running around before taking your blood pressure, etc. definately go to your doc to rule out hypertension or anything else going on. you don't want to have a high bp like that.. can affect your heart, kidneys, and other important organs.

• 1 month later...

Bupropion raises my cardio-vitals substantially.

Before Bupropion:

Resting HR = 46 bpm

Active HR = approx 55 bpm

BP = 130/60

With Bupropion

Resting HR = 60

Active HR = approx 74 bpm

BP = 140/70

My resting HR increased by 14 bpm!

My doc doesn't seem all that concerned, but it really bothers me. I think the doc just sees 74 bpm and thinks that's normal. It may be for some people but not me.

Archived