CrazyBoards.org

Lexapro Question

My insurance has requested, somewhat loudly, that I switch to the generic form of Lexapro. I am very nervous about this as I have only just begun to feel really normal again. Has anyone had any problems with moving to the generics?

TIA,

Jim

I would check and make sure what they are requesting, like was said I don't think there is such a thing as generic Lexapro yet, so I am guessing they are wanting to switch you over to celexa.  You may need your Doctor to fill out the proper forms for you to stay on lexapro.

As a last resort if they refuse his request celexa probably would work well for you.

Think of it as the Mother of lexapro, lexapro being the new and improved celexa.

I have a few friends on celexa and they like it just fine and felt no need to move over to lex. And yes celexa is now much cheaper than lex.

CC~

Escitalopram is the generic name for Celexa.  Escitalopram has 2 molecules, a "left" and a "right" that are identical in every way, except they are like mirror images.  Apparently, one one of these is theraputically active and the other is not.  The maker of Celexa, whose patent was running out, decided to register a "new" drug consisting of only the theraputically active part of Celexa and called it Lexapro thus getting an extra 7 years of patent protection (and high prices).  My son's pharmacologist says that medical research indicates that there is no difference in effectiveness between Lexapro and Celexa.  One difference however.  The equivalent dose of Celexa is twice that of Lexapro.  That is, if you are on 20mg of Lexapro, you would need 40mg of Celexa.  Hope that helps.  Also, see this web site:

http://www.lexapro.com/mediacenter/backgro...er_science.aspx

Archived