CrazyBoards.org

Will Seroquel XR knock me out at night like the IR?

Seroquel is the only med that works to get me to sleep. I take 200Mg IR before bed. I get the racing heart from it though and I'm thinking about asking my pdoc about the XR. He's brought it up before so I know it's an option.

My questions are: will the XR still put me to sleep at night? Is there a dosage difference between IR and XR? If I'm on 200Mg IR would I then take 200Mg XR? Also, does the XR help more with anxiety than IR for anyone?

What differences have you noticed betweenIR and XR that you like better or vice versa.

Thanks.

When I took 800 of the XR at night, I would feel groggy after I wake up till midday.

I found the XRs sedation was not really a problem after the first 3 months.

The restless legs I got on the immediate release disappeared when I switch to the XR.

Sedation wise? The XR is A LOT LESS compared to the original.

When I was on 600 mg of Seroquel, I used to take 300 XR in the morning and 300 IR at night (the doses are equivalent).  I found that the XR was better for my anxiety without putting me out like the IR did.

However, it may be different for you, so it's worth a try.

Do the palpitations bother you a lot?  Have you tried a lower dose of Seroquel?

I take Seroquel XR (300mg) for the same reason (anxiety, heart palpitations, etc) and if I take it several hours before I'm going to bed, I find it does help me sleep. I do take 0.5mg Xanax and 500mg Depakote at bedtime as well. Seroquel IR (regular) knocked me the fuck out, but there was the half hour of "OH GOD,  I"M GONNA DIE!"

I wake up the same as with IR, maybe a little less groggy actually. I have weird dreams, too, but not as vivid as on Geodon. I do not get as hungry at night, but I usually am in the morning. I am less anxious during the day and don't take much Xanax anymore. I went from 4+ 0.5mg a day to 1 or 2. The doses are equivalent. I prefer XR, it's "gentler" to me. Less sedating overall. I find I sleep about the same on XR as IR, to be honest.  It just takes longer to kick in. Seroquel is my preferred AAP because it slams the psychosis and helps me sleep with very minimal side effects.

yes, both will knock you out.   Honestly, I hate Seroquel XR at higher doses.  It  gives me an awful grogginess that extends to half of the the next day and it is hard to time it just right at night for when to take it for sleep.  It would take as long as 3-4 hours to kick in or sedate me enough that I would fall sleep, unless I took it on an empty, fasted stomach.   I really don't like how my body metabolizes it, so I prefer the IR hands down.  I usually don't have the grogginess problems with the IR and I know exactly how quickly it will put me out, how much sleep I need on it to feel rested the next day and how much food or no food etc. at my current dose. 

I don't get heart palpitations on it, but maybe it is because I take propranolol?  My dose of Seroquel always gets bumped up to a higher dose temporarily if I am in a rapid cycling mixed state.

Edited by Frenetic47

Thanks everyone. I didn't know you could take the XR and IR together, that makes me feel better as far as sleeping go. I'm excited to try the XR. Thankfully it's weight neutral for me so that's never been an issue. The lower doses IR for me are not as sedating for some reason.

I'm glad to know that for some of you the tacky heart thing was better with the XR. It's more just annoying to me than anything. I think I'll try the 50Mg XR at first and go from there.

I take 600mg of the XR at around 5pm everyday, and I feel it kicking in about 4 hours later.  By "kicking in" I mean I can feel it slowing my ever-busy brain down and I start to feel tired and ready for bed.  I still take an extra 100mg of the IR along with my lithium at about 10pm, and the combo knocks me out for 7-8 hours.  Not every night is perfect - sometimes my head manages to push through the effects of the meds and I only fall asleep after midnight.  That makes the mornings when I have to get up for work at 6am groggy and horrible, but on the whole, I get a decent night's sleep, and after a mug of coffee in the morning I'm pretty much ready to hit the day.  

Without meaning to sound dramatic, the XR has opened up a whole new level of functioning for me, and a huge part of that is that I no longer get into a panic every night over whether or not I'll get any sleep.  Prior to this cocktail I was taking 1000mg of the IR, which was pretty much a disaster. So, good luck, give it a try, and I hope it works for you too!

eta I forgot to say that most days I take 25mg of the IR at 5pm too - that's a PRN prescription from my pdoc for more immediate help when I'm hysterically wound up with anxiety after work.  I'm the same as you in not finding the lower doses particularly sedating, so all this does is knock the edge off.

Edited by miab

Without meaning to sound dramatic, the XR has opened up a whole new level of functioning for me,

As if the XR is a whole different drug all together??

I can't even compare them?

The XR reminds me of Zyprexa without the weight gain?

Edited by heavendj4

Well they must be different *somehow*, even though they are technically the same. The IR *never* made me hungry or anything- and I take it before bed and prn during the day. I took my first XR dose yesterday and it made me ravenously hungry!! I can't not get enough to eat! I'm very slim and trim so weight gain is a total dealbreaker for me.

Why would the XR do that but not the IR that I take at night and during the day? I figured it would be the opposite. Has anyone experienced that difference and did it stay or go away?

Edited by Energizerhoney