Damn being Canadian!

Echo

/rant

Holy shit balls, seriously. I am SO pissed with my Canadianness right now.

So I'm trying to find one of those memory foam visco-elastic NASA type mattress things - the most well known company that sells them is Tempurpedic. So, I talk to a dealer in my area who sells the Tempurpedic mattresses and it's gonna be near (if not more) three grand to buy one of these f-ing things! So I start to search around on the net and come accross abed.com who sells them for a great price, then I search more and come across about 5 or 6 more sites that sell similar type mattresses for MUCH better prices. But ofcourse, everything they sell is in American Dollars and while a few of them do ship to Canada when you convert their price (lets say, $699) to Canadian, then add the shipping and handling, THEN add the taxes that the governement will charge me a few weeks after I recieve it for the damn thing going across the damned border the f-ing thing will cost me just about three grand! I wish SO much that I was American. Seriously. I am so fed up with finding amazing things on ebay - Oops, they only ship to America. Or I find a wonderful deal on a damn mattress I have wanted forever - Oops, it'll cost you an arm and a leg after all the conversions, taxes, and a whole bunch of other bullshit.

GRRRARRRRR!! Will I ever be able to buy the f-ing things I want without breaking the bank, and credit card, and becoming homeless because I had to spend it all? AHHHHHH!

/end rant

Gee,

I hadn't thought about all the problems of trying to get eBay stuff across the border.

I know it isn't Tempurpedic quality, but they do sell egg-crate type foam peices that you can put on top of a regular box spring mattress. That might be an inexpensive alternative.

Happy sleeping

am.

/rant

So I'm trying to find one of those memory foam visco-elastic NASA type mattress things - the most well known company that sells them is Tempurpedic. So, I talk to a dealer in my area who sells the Tempurpedic mattresses and it's gonna be near (if not more) three grand to buy one of these f-ing things! So I start to search around on the net and come accross abed.com who sells them for a great price, then I search more and come across about 5 or 6 more sites that sell similar type mattresses for MUCH better prices. But ofcourse, everything they sell is in American Dollars and while a few of them do ship to Canada when you convert their price (lets say, $699) to Canadian, then add the shipping and handling, THEN add the taxes that the governement will charge me a few weeks after I recieve it for the damn thing going across the damned border the f-ing thing will cost me just about three grand! I wish SO much that I was American. Seriously. I am so fed up with finding amazing things on ebay - Oops, they only ship to America. Or I find a wonderful deal on a damn mattress I have wanted forever - Oops, it'll cost you an arm and a leg after all the conversions, taxes, and a whole bunch of other bullshit.

GRRRARRRRR!! Will I ever be able to buy the f-ing things I want without breaking the bank, and credit card, and becoming homeless because I had to spend it all? AHHHHHH!

/end rant

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I shop for a lot of stuff in The US but what did you expect any way? You are,  much to your chagrin, today A Canadian so you will pay as we do. So be it.

I STILL FIND GREAT DEALS HERE AND THERE IN THE USA. BUT I DON'T HATE MY COUNTRY BECAUSE I CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. SORRY YOU FEEL THAT WAY.

FROSTY THE CANUCK.

At Costco I bought  a "Tempurpedic" matress cover....it's about 3 inches thick.

I do, however live in PA - but - being Canadian I do know of your woes.

You can, come and visit and we can try to find one!

;)

I live in one of the most expensive states in the U.S.  I don't mind paying higher taxes as the quality of living in pretty good here.  I like Canada, I had no idea things were that exspensive!  I wonder if I could become like a  ;) and smuggle thereapedic memory foam across the border...

Hmmm.

Dudly do-right would probably get me, eh?

As a canadian you are like 4x-5x less likely to be murdered than an american.  Win some... lose some...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh, but your 4-5X more likely to get stuck in the snow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed.  Perhaps the biggest upside of being Canadian is that there is almost no censorship in candian tv.  So when you are interviewed by your local tv station about avoiding being murdered by getting caught in the snow, you can swear at that white precipitation and then show a little boob.

So when you are interviewed by your local tv station about avoiding being murdered by getting caught in the snow, you can swear at that white precipitation and then show a little boob.

God knows I've done that already....

If Hillary Clinton ever becomes president, I'm moving to Canadia.  And, yes, I'll continue to call it "Canadia".

I don't get the purpose of the border taxes thing.  I think it's just there to make life difficult.

I did some Googling for you, and this is what I found.  Hope it helps!

~CS

P.S. Sometimes I'm not a fan of being an American.  Grass is always greener, huh?

If Hillary Clinton ever becomes president, I'm moving to Canadia.  And, yes, I'll continue to call it "Canadia".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I call it Canadia too.  It makes me laugh to upset canadians.

ps.  what's wrong with hilary.  She's an arrogant bitch, seems perfect for the job.

/rant

/end rant

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I shop for a lot of stuff in The US but what did you expect any way? You are,

A number of reasons canada is lame:

-it's cold

-canadians wrongly believe canadian beer has more alcohol than american beer and feel superior regarding that

-hockey isn't as exciting as many canadians believe

-the assertion that hockey is unexciting is often met with a sincere request to vacate the country if you don't like it

-canadians feel superior to americans too often

i could go on.  fact is, i could go on about any country in this way.  And canada has a lot going for it, as i'd rather reside in say Halifax than Sao Paulo or Jakarta or Gary.  i think canadians are overly sensitive.  At times i have hated canada simply because i was cold, sometimes for better reasons.  I sincerely wish i could express these thoughts without having to undergo a vociferous public stoning.  I wish people would rethink their tendency to take impersonal slights against their country of residence personally.

I don't think anyone thinks it's Canadia's fault that it's so hard for Canadians to buy American stuff.  It's the fault of whoever makes up the tax laws and the greedy retailers.  When all else fails, blame the government and the big corporations.

Those Sonic commercials crack me up!  Have you seen the one with the w-rap and the w-rench and the guy who's w-rong?  <--That makes sense if you've seen the ad, I promise.  We don't have them here (Boston) either, at least not to my knowledge.  I think they're mostly in eastern PA.  Pacanuck, care to weigh in?

I love watching Canadian news.  I grew up in southeast Michigan, very close to Windsor, so we got Canadian TV and radio.  Not a whole lot happens in Canadia, so they talk about President Shrub (as Grouse calls him) and Martha Stewart and stuff.  In so many ways, I consider us to be one big country.  So why the crazy taxes?  Come on, you government schmucks!  Stop charging a tax every time someone sneezes!

~CS

who loves her Canadian friends, and owns a pin of the US and Canadian flags together

Pasta~

I must disagree with much of your post.

1. Canadia is not lame.  If having less crime and stuff makes a country lame, show me the lamest country you can find and I'll move there.

2. A lot of American beer tastes like horse piss (not that I know what horse piss tastes like--just guessing), and a lot of Canadian beer tastes lots better.  So who cares how much alcohol it has?

3. I grew up near Detroit, aka Hockytown, USA.  Hockey is more exciting than you think.  And I'm not even into sports.  Motorgrrl, want to comment?

4. Canadians have waaaay better health care than Americans do.  Why shouldn't they feel superior?

I live in a glass house, so I am not making any attempt to throw stones.  Also, I *love* cold weather.  I was born in Rochester, NY in January in the middle of a blizzard.  Snow is where it's AT!  I'd much rather be too cold than too hot.

Are you an American living in Canadia?  Or did you live there for a while?  If so, why are/were you living there?  Your job?  SO's job?

Oh, and I adore the Shakespeare festival in Stratford, Ontario.  I used to go all the time when I was younger.  Anyone who lives within 5 hours and has never been should try to catch a play some time.  Only during the summer, though.

~CS

/rant

/end rant

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I shop for a lot of stuff in The US but what did you expect any way? You are,

Japan has the lowest crime rate of the developed countries, with less than half the homicide rate of Canada.  It also has deeply entrenched racism and sexism.  Canada is second highest (US has the highest with 10x more homicides than Japan and 4x more than Canada) and has the worst car theft rate in the world.  The homicide rate is the benchmark for crime rate comparison and fluctuates slightly year to year but is otherwise quite stable. 

Taste is individual.  At work, we sell more corona than any other beer.  Australians generally think XXXX or VB is better according to where they were born.  I drank Boag's there. 

Taste in sports is also individual.  Watch sports in europe or australia or new zealand.  They don't stop every few seconds because of a whistle, and they don't have breaks every few minutes to squeeze in commercials.  More people in the world care about cricket than hockey.

America spends more on public health care per person than canada by a significant amount.  Their shame is not in their health care, but in their provision of it.  Alberta has the best health care system in canada.  There is as much propaganda in alberta to privatise health care as in the entirety of canada (as established through content analysis of major daily newspapers).  America is discussing how to fix their system,  Canada is discussing how to dismantle theirs.  Odd that this is Canada's greatest source of pride.  I suppose we can't take much pride in creating NAFTA and the WTO, can we?

I lived in Buffalo, very close to rochester.  quite cold.  where i grew up in canada, i went to work one day and my car froze.  the same season i left work one night and it was -50 without windchill.  i have arthritis and winter really bothers me.  I'm in pain for the entirety of the season and for much of spring and autumn.

fun facts.  like i said earlier, we could debate the good and bad points of canada for a long time.  every country has a downside and an upside.  people shouldn't be afraid to acknowledge that.  my point is not whether you agree, but whether i'll get lynched for saying it.

btw, I've lived in many countries.  I consider myself cosmopolitan.  I have no patriotic leanings.  Scientific studies of children in Canada and the UK found a correlation between patriotism and racism.  on that controversial note...

[end transmission]

Heya,

Got tired of reading all the specifics.

But ok, buying stuff from the US sucks.  Whatever, it does in lots of other countries too.

We tend to assume that since we're next door, we should get a break, but oh well, not so much.

I have many, many acquaintances (and family) that chose to come here from other places, among options including US.

Canada is great.

I wouldn't live anywhere else.

It suits me well anyway.

And, I don't watch hockey.

But I confess I *do* like snow.

And socialized medicine.

--ncc--

Always did want to visit the

Fifty-first State.

I travel with one of those costco foam things,

Saves my back.

Tell me,

I worked with a

Candanadian

dude

Once,

His favorite,

utterance was

"Dumb as a bag of hammers"

Eh?

another,which I liked

In particular,

"Fuck All"

Also,since

I'm being irritating,

lets lower that lumber tariff.

Heh,we're almost done

logging off ours.

anything else.

Stasis

Heya,

Here's a neat link about our differences in spelling/word use.

(Edited to paste the link)

http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/american.html

Apparently Canada is "intermediate" between US and UK.

But we also have a whole nother language here.

I mean, you see them there moose, side by each?

Oh, I mean meese.

;)

(and for some reason I can't fathom the "eh" thing bugs a lot of Canadians.

Heya,

Here's a neat link about our differences in spelling/word use.

(Edited to paste the link)

http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/american.html

Apparently Canada is "intermediate" between US and UK.

But we also have a whole nother language here.

I mean, you see them there moose, side by each?

Oh, I mean meese.

;)

(and for some reason I can't fathom the "eh" thing bugs a lot of Canadians.

The one language thing that kills me every time is the "oot and aboot" one for "out and about."  I've never said oot or aboot in my life.  A lot of the people from the US must have spoken to too many East Coasters or something to get that misconception/mispronunciation.

And even the folks from the eastern provinces never sounded that bad to my wee Canadian ears.

Ah, tis to laugh...

Karen

Hey, I am in Detroit. any canucks who want to use me as a shipping address I can oblige if you wanna drive here to get whatever you are getting.

I like canada. I drive over to buy the nifty tylonal with the codine in it over the counter. and everyone is polite and I love hockey. and I lived in the UP for 4 years so we had a lot of canucks. I love having CBC on my cable. the canadian news is very soothing to fall asleep to.

But Poutine is disturbing. very distrubing.

I grew up near Detroit.  My father was born and raised there.  A lot of people from my high school would go to Windsor on the weekends because (at the time, at least) the drinking age in Canadia was only 17.  When my parents come visit me (I live in Boston, they're still near Detroit), they drive through Canada--in at Windsor, out near Niagara Falls.  Canadian change is often accepted at American value.  One of my best friends is from Calgary.

I <3 Canadia!

HaloGirl,

So lovely of you to offer your address as a place where we can pick up goods! lol. I'm not sure how that would word at the border though, I'd probably end up paying more in border taxes than I would in regular shipping costs I reckon. I'll have to check into that. I myself have not gone over the boarder since I was a wee little one many, many years ago. Family trips to Florida, what fun!

Hey, I am in Detroit. any canucks who want to use me as a shipping address I can oblige if you wanna drive here to get whatever you are getting.

I like canada. I drive over to buy the nifty tylonal with the codine in it over the counter. and everyone is polite and I love hockey. and I lived in the UP for 4 years so we had a lot of canucks. I love having CBC on my cable. the canadian news is very soothing to fall asleep to.

But Poutine is disturbing. very distrubing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh my God .. Poutine is

Always did want to visit the

Fifty-first State.

I travel with one of those costco foam things,

Saves my back.

Tell me,

I worked with a

Candanadian

dude

Once,

His favorite,

utterance was

"Dumb as a bag of hammers"

Eh?

another,which I liked

In particular,

"Fuck All"

Also,since

I'm being irritating,

lets lower that lumber tariff.

Heh,we're almost done

logging off ours.

anything else.

Stasis

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stasis, I thought Fuck all was something everyone said ... No eh?

Frosty... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

/rant

/end rant

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least when  you do go broke and homeless, they'll take care of you up there and you'll still have healthcare. ;)   Not even getting into marrying the person of your choice regardless of gender. . .

Archived