CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
emack

Avoiding the "tools"

Back to school time is the hardest time for me of the year in regards to my self harming. The reason being is that I can go buy more of my "tools" that I use to self harm at a lot cheaper price.

I have this whole routine that I go to the Dollar Tree and can get a 6-pack of my "tools" for a buck. Sometimes I find myself going to the store and clearing the shelf. Its like once I get there I get really, really panicky and have to buy every single one. I find myself thinking that one pack is not enough, two is not enough etc. I get paranoid too thinking that the cashier knows what I am doing. I seriously will be looking over my shoulder thinking the police, my mom etc will find me and throw me in the hospital.

I will drive all over town sometimes going to every single Dollar Tree and clearing the shelves of these packs of my "tools" I think two years ago at this time I probably spent close to $200 at Dollar Tree just on my "tools" during just the back to school time. I probably would have spent that much last year if I wasnt in an long term facility.

I then will come home and hide them all over so I have at least one "tool" accessible to me at all times in my home. At times I have one in my purse so that if I am out and about and want to self-harm I can. When I was sent to the long term facility last year  my mom packed up my apartment. She told me that she found close to 200 of my tools all over my apartment.  

Its funny because i will go out of my way to go to Dollar Tree to buy more tools. In a pinch I will go to another store but ony buy one of my tools.

This year it will be really hard to do this. My mom currently has my car keys and my money. I know its a good thing but its so hard to see all these commercials, newspaper ads and kids talking about going back to school and not thinking about what I usually do this time of the year...

What are your plans when everyone goes back to school? Are you working? Or would you be able to work? Are you volunteering anywhere? Do you help family or friends with any extra needs they may have? Have you thought about taking a class at an adult school or community college just for fun - just to get out?

These are questions for everyone. And believe me, I can hardly answer them myself. I suppose my current "routine" is doctor appointments every day but friday. Having a calendar with events listed on it is helpful. i.e. "must get blood draw by 9 am" - now you have a purpose for that day.

Hope im not talking out of my ass,

db

Hi Emack, 

Autumn/back-to-school is a trigger for me too. It triggers all these memories of depression, and just general bad times I've had during the fall season. 

I'm a university student, so I find it pretty easy to distract myself with course work. I like DB's ideas, can you distract yourself with lots of things to do? Can you keep allowing your mom to hold onto your money, so that you can't buy them? That seems like a good idea. 

Do you have a tdoc or pdoc to help you get through this difficult time? They might have some good suggestions. Maybe you can get a tdoc appointment ASAP?

I know it's not as easy as "Just don't buy them." I have walked away from buying cheap tools before, and it was really, really hard. 

What I hear in your post is that you need security. You stash your tools all around your house and in your purse. It sounds like what you are looking for is a way to feel safe and secure in the face of tough emotions. Are there any other ways you can feel safe and secure? Sounds silly, but I like to wrap myself up tightly in a blanket when I'm feeling unsafe, overwhelmed and like I want to cut. 

As well, it sounds like the actual ritual of buying the tools is important to you. Can you replace this ritual with a healthier activity? Sort of like what DB suggested, can you start doing something good for you this time of year, to create new memories or a new activity? Maybe it could be joining a class (yoga comes to mind) or a new hobby.

I'm sorry this season is so hard for you. I know it must be really tough. Feel free to keep checking in here. :)

I haven't cut myself in 35 years but something in my personal life has caused me to think about it intensely over the last few days.  Saturday and Sunday were incredibly difficult to get through but I managed to get through them uncut.  I've thought about cutting yesterday and today but it hasn't been too hard to avoid it.  Trash pickup is tomorrow and I keep telling myself that I need to throw my tool in the trash before they come but somehow that never seems to happen.  Somewhere inside me I know I've decided to keep my options open.

T. L.

If you're not ready to give up your tool yet, how about making it a little more challenging to access by freezing it in a block of ice or wrapping it up with layers of duct tape? Or if you're feeling festive, a bunch of boxes wrapped up inside each other?

Anything that puts a time delay between thought and action gives you more options.

Thanks again for the great advice Wooster.    It's in the garage and I'm afraid to touch it.  I've had fantasies about using it (the details of which everybody here knows about) and I'm afraid that if I touch it it will be too evocative of past experiences for me to stop myself.  I'd like to get my partner (who's supportive in most things) to throw it out at work but he doesn't understand the problem so it's too difficult for me to ask him.

I could get my sister to throw it out but I'm too ashamed to ask.  Yeah, I know I shouldn't be ashamed but I am.

I can be strong but it's really tempting.

T. L.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By bear//faced
      I kind of made this account on a whim at 3 in the morning on a thursday but i guess i just want to rant
      Ive been clean for about two years no sometimes i did little things to hurt myself but nothing  i never considered that """self harm""" i guess because i couldnt get in trouble for it// I relapsed for real last weekend and while i was doing it i liked it and it "took me back" i guess// But now i regret it so much, the florida summer is not forgiving and ive been wearing thick crewnecks every day// i forgot how much the aftermath sucked but i still want to do it again// Ive been seeking out triggering content nearly every day stuff on instagram mostly// Its not helping and im getting more depressed every day// I was supposed to hang out with my friend before he left for Europe but i canceled because i was so anxious to leave the house  also to go to his house alone// Ive been canceling plans a week in advance, that ive had planned for weeks// i left my house yesterday to go the mall and wondered around for 2 hours alone// mostly this is a rant about how shitty ive been feeling for the past week. sorry// probably never going to post again idk
      https://soundcloud.com/premeseams/bearface-quiver?in=popsiclesordeath/sets/ciaran-2

• By JynNotGin
      Hello,
      Recently I had a bought of noise that I wasn't able to fight off well due to being distracted by a personal issue. Of course, the reason I lost footing in the first place was because of the mildly stressful issue.
      What I am wondering, is if there is a better way to distract the voices.
      I am usually able to mute them by using foundational logic to win. But, when something has me questioning my beliefs in my choices and actions (which is irritatingly easy to do), I am at their mercy. I used to have 'good' voices that would hold my body back from doing anything physically because of the 'bad' voices. I had cleaned them all out a while back while trying to get better. This has left me openly exposed for these sudden surprise attacks on my sanity. I don't want to rely on 'good' voices anymore. This has been used against me in the past for me to psychologically manipulate myself into living how I wanted to myself to live. I hated that. It wasn't only me manipulating myself. It was crazy. I don't even know if it was me doing that to myself or if it was one of the 'bad' voices in particular who had a name. I don't want to believe that he could do that, so I try to say it was myself. It would be impossible for it to be myself manipulating myself... But, this is currently the only way I can move on until I can find actual help.
      Sorry about that weird spiral. Yesterday I scratched the word "mistake" into my arm while arguing with the voices and coming up at loss in the battle for a while. While in conversation, I am lost in thought fighting, when I lose something else can get control of my body. I forgot to have a notepad and pencil ready. They so want to make their mark on reality that they will carve their words onto or into anything. I've put up quite a few psychological stops over the years that prevented self harm, but a lot of those were linked to the 'good' voices who would battle with positive noise against the negative noise. One of the other stops I've made is the use of the cyrillic alphabet instead of the latin alphabet with any written discussion having to do with my voices so that they are forced to translate the letters over. This means the word "mistake" was scratched into my arm in cyrillic letters. This used to slow the majority of them down, but not anymore. I've also forgotten the numb feeling and the weird sensation gotten by pain that makes it through the haze, because it no longer registers as pain. I used to use the boiling frog hot water method  as a means for pain management due to a chronic condition. Either that or hot wax. I have forgotten all of these important things until now as I write this. It makes me feel pretty stupid for forgetting all of this and getting so comfy thinking I was getting better.
      There has got to be a better way to distract the voices and win than to rely on honing 'good' voices. I don't want to rely on voices to fight voices when I am powerless. I want to find a physical means, something more real to help.
      Any suggestions?
    • By X Anime Lover X
      I’ll get straight to it, I cut myself.
      This was my first time cutting. 
      I don’t know why, the thought of cutting kept haunting my mind. I decided after school I would do it. Just once.
      I was alone in the house at the time and got everything I needed. I had a first aid kit, a small screwdriver and a sharpener. 
      I took out the blade and I was nervous and did it high up on my thigh. I cut twice on my thigh then on my hips. I got carried away and cleaned up the cuts. There were more cuts then I intended and I cleaned everything up hiding the evidence.
      I’m a little shaky from what I did but I don’t regret it.
      I don’t believe I did it and it doesn’t bother me. 
      I’m scared what others will think if they find out. 
      Help me.
    • By tryp
      This thread is a directory of several other threads with great suggestions on things you can do RIGHT NOW instead of self-harming, and great resources you can use in your recovery.
      http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/200-alternatives-to-si-and-other-coping-skills/
      This thread is a big jumble of posts from other members about alternatives they have found helpful.
      http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/16001-what-to-do-right-now-instead-of-si/
      Alternatives to self-harm sorted into groups based on different emotions that might be making you want to SI.
      http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/43071-i-wanted-to-self-harm-today-instead-i/
      "I wanted to self harm today - instead I..."
      Enjoy!