CrazyBoards.org

Impulsivity..problem?

If no one knows the answer to this question dont worry- I have an appt. with my pdoc tomorrow and I can ask him.

But anyways...

It's happening again. I can't be in one place for very long before I start to loose it. I need to get OUT. I can't stay HERE. The whole world is out there and I am stuck HERE and it is killing me.

This all started nearly 2 years ago. Within one year I had impulsivly moved to Chicago only to move back home within 3 months not being able to live all a lone in such a big city (and only 17 years old.) Then within a month of being home I had taken off for a trip through Thailand (quite, quite randomly). 2 months later I went to France for a month and then managed to come home and work for a whole 3 months at the same job (WOW) before I took off for college.

It's happening again and I need to get out. But I can't. I can't keep randomly jumping all over the place. The reason why I randomly jump all over the place is because something isnt working at the current place I am. So I run away from my problems only to make them worse.

Oh. I am not sure where the hell this topic should go. But if anything I feel quite bipolar when one night I am in my bed crying about how depressed I am and the next day I am on a plane off to Thailand smiling about discovering a new country.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me. And what the hell have you done to make your life more consistent and actually stay in the same place for more than 3 months!

It sounds like a bipolar thing, so congratulations! Your mental dart game hit the target. (I mean, you didn't post under OCD, right? ;) )

I randomly take off at times for reasons which sound similar, but my journeys tend to be hypomanic weeks out from which I soon return. For maintaining stability, though, or keeping the same damn job... I do quite well at that, all things considered, by forcibly staying where I am for necessity's sake. Nevertheless, I crack after six or so months in the same damn job, and still end up changing things.

I've managed to stay with particular companies for over a year, sometimes, by changing positions within the company. Upward mobility, lateral mobility -- I don't give a shit, as long as it's change. Being able to set my own hours within limits is a TREMENDOUS help. Having two or three jobs at once -- preferably within a single company, but if I have to moonlight, that's fine -- also helps stave off the moment of snapping.

I always snap, though, except instead of fleeing the country (I NEVER EVER EVER have that much money) I just flip out and quit.

*sigh*

Sorry I don't have a solution.

You're not alone, crazychic! I can't stand being in one place too long, I've never lived anywhere more than three years, and when my dad retired from the army, we had to settle on one place and I got really depressed.

What I do to combat the "need to move NOW" feeling, is driving. Sometimes I'll drive thousands of miles in one week, just to feel better. I'll travel all the way to Atlanta, just to stop at a gas station, get a drink, and turn back around again.

I can't say I don't know how to keep my life consistent, because the urge to keep moving feels so imbedded into my mind, so I'm joining the army. That way, I'll always be on the move, going to new states and countries, never having to settle down ;)

I would say that this is a labile mood thing. That could mean bipolar, or borderline personality disorder, etc.

Crazychic, keep in mind, at your age, it's sometimes hard to tell. lots of kids are trying to find themselves, travel, take semesters off, meet new people, etc.

hope the dust settles for ya,

What I do to combat the "need to move NOW" feeling, is driving. Sometimes I'll drive thousands of miles in one week, just to feel better. I'll travel all the way to Atlanta, just to stop at a gas station, get a drink, and turn back around again.

Right.  Combat restlessness with movement.  I tend to take the physical route, biking a century or walking for five or six hours, because I have no car and public transit makes me feel even more trapped. 

(Shutting up now.)

Crazychic, keep in mind, at your age, it's sometimes hard to tell. lots of kids are trying to find themselves, travel, take semesters off, meet new people, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Deff. makes sense- I actually just talked to my pdoc about this issue. It's just that compared to all my friends I feel like I'm all over the place!!

And combating restlessness with activity is deff. something I need to do. Thanks for the good idea.

Archived