CrazyBoards.org

Strattera...start at 40 mgs? Huh?

my girlfriend was just given Strattera by a p-doc....he's got her taking 40 mgs once a day for the first seven days...and then after day 7 he is upping the dosage to 80 mgs once a day....does this guy know what he's doing? from what i've read it's good to start out at 10-25 mgs a day.....and ease into the dosing a bit lighter than doubling the dose after a week....any experiences and knowledge out there amongst the ADDers that've taken Strattera or know anything about it?

i realize Strattera isnt a CNS stim but where to post it? All ADDers who've taken this med most likely show up here or on the ADD forum.

my girlfriend was just given Strattera by a p-doc....he's got her taking 40 mgs once a day for the first seven days...and then after day 7 he is upping the dosage to 80 mgs once a day....does this guy know what he's doing? from what i've read it's good to start out at 10-25 mgs a day.....and ease into the dosing a bit lighter than doubling the dose after a week....any experiences and knowledge out there amongst the ADDers that've taken Strattera or know anything about it?

i realize Strattera isnt a CNS stim but where to post it? All ADDers who've taken this med most likely show up here or on the ADD forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I started at 10 MGS and it made me feel like I was smoking pot - for one day. After that, it was very helpful for awhile - I got up to 50 mgs over several months , then I started feeling fatigued and generally crappy. I stopped for a couple of weeks but it still sucked when I started agin. Seems like 40 would have killed me as a first dose, what with the stoned feeling (which I personally hate - but she may be okay with).

Pigs

Strattera should be prescribed at lower doses that you work you work up to a higher dose.  I started at 18 mg for a week, then went to 25, then 40 then 65, then 80, then 105, then 120.

It takes a while (a little over a month to start working, if it is going to work for you, that is).

When I was on it I had started out at 20 and then I was going to move onto 40 within a week or so.

However...it was worsening my depression by A LOT. So be careful and just watch out for your girlfriend (which I am sure you already do now  ;) ). They just had a segment on the news like 2 or so months ago about them putting a black box warning on Strattera because it was causing or worsening depression/suicidal thinking. (I don't know any particulars about the news segment, just happened to catch a glimpse of it).

Hope it works out for her though  :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was started on 40mg and it gave me a headache, made me WAAAAAY too talkative and took away my appetite.  I'm wondering if that was because it was too high or I'm not right for the drug.  I'd like to ask my p'doc for adderal or ridalin instead but am unsure due to bad press and high abuse rates.

Just a little tip if you feel the Strattera isn't working for you. L-Tyrosine as an add-on. Of course, discuss this with your pdoc first. And don't even bother if you have the least manic or schizophrenic tendencies whatsoever. It makes me manic, but did wonders for my concentration.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep.  Ok, that lasted about 3 days.  I had to stop.  I felt like I was being electrocuted.  I am not sure about my new doc.  The pharmacist says 60mg is ok but I wouldnt give strattera to my worst enemy.  What a crap drug.  I'd rather have ADD.

• 1 month later...

I'd rather have ADD too. Straterra sucks! I take 40 now, after a week, and it does suck. I notice side effects but not yet a difference in concentration or any good effects. My mind is just as crazy as always.

This is my 3rd go around on Strat, but my first with this Pdoc. He is starting me out at 40mg, upping to 80mg after a week...and he told me to take it at night.

Um. I am skeptical. Do people have fewer start up side effects after the first go around? Or is he just insane?

My plan is to split the 40's in half and keep 20 of it in its lil capsule and put the other half in empty gelcap thingys - think this would work? and I am taking it in the morning.

You might want to try it at night.  I forget why, but I've read that it can work better for some people that way.  Maybe you just sleep through the side effects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I may test it at night too.

VE - do you think my plan for splitting it is sound? I wasn't sure if it was a bad idea or not...

Archived