CrazyBoards.org

Anybody With Bipolar Want to Share?

Went for my first physical in 10 yrs yesterday, at the request of my pdoc. My doctor said my thyroid felt normal and everything else checked out OK. I go for my lab work this morning (my apt was too late in the afternoon to fast yesterday). Even though I lead a pretty safe and cautious life, I am more afraid of what else the blood work might find than what it says about my thyroid. I guess there is a little teeny tiny hypochondriac living in my brain after all.

I love youtube. Seriously. I ignore the suggested videos.

xmo, a study (I want to say it was more than a study, but I'm not sure) just came out that said we have much less control over our cholesterol than previously thought. They said lowering ingestion of fatty meats was the only thing a patient could really do. So if your cholesterol is high, it doesn't automatically mean you did anything wrong.

ETA: Does anyone else know the "study" I'm talking about? I feel like it might have been an organization of cardiac doctors (is that what you call them? I'm really tired), so that is what I am wondering

Edited by crtclms

I was talking to the PI that I'm working with and I was like "yeah I'll finish this week, I don't think I can fit it in the work week but I'll pull an all-nighter" and she was like "no! Don't do that. I'm a sleep researcher don't do that!" and I was like "I love all-nighters! I hate sleep!" and she was like "have you ever heard of bipolar!" and I was like LOLOLOL 

I love youtube. Seriously. I ignore the suggested videos.

xmo, a study (I want to say it was more than a study, but I'm not sure) just came out that said we have much less control over our cholesterol than previously thought. They said lowering ingestion of fatty meats was the only thing a patient could really do. So if your cholesterol is high, it doesn't automatically mean you did anything wrong.

ETA: Does anyone else know the "study" I'm talking about? I feel like it might have been an organization of cardiac doctors (is that what you call them? I'm really tired), so that is what I am wondering

You are probably thinking about the report for the new dietary guidlines. It has been known for quite some time that the cholesterol you consume has little effect on serum cholesterol for most people, but the government wheels spin slowly.

Your body creates about 75% of your cholesterol and diet provides the other 25%. But if you consume more cholesterol, your body will manufacture less, so trying to regulate your blood cholesterol by diet is rather difficult. High "bad" cholesterol doesn't necessarily mean you have problems, especially if the carrier proteins are the large, buoyant LDL type. If they are the small, dense LDL type, then it's more problematic, especially if the particles have become oxidized. Regular blood cholesterol tests will not tell you this info; You need to order an NMR lipoprofile.

Note that HDL ("good") cholesterol is thought to better predict cardiovascular disease and mortality than total LDL according to some. It's also worth noting that half of heart attack sufferers have normal or low cholesterol. Furthermore, saturated fat intake is not correlated with higher mortality, at least if it's not transfat. the long and short of it is that most people can eat their steak, Butter, and egg yolks and not worry.

I haven't had a med change in a few months, so I don't think I can blame them too much. I am ok with big stuff, but I'll put paperwork in the car to drop off then forget until its home. Yesterday I walked past my car in the carpark twice before I could see it, and last night I overpaid a bill ($300) by $5,000. My husband sorted that out this morning. I'm hoping its just a passing thing.

Offered to watch my boss' twins while he was in a meeting. Not too bad. I thought it'd be crazy since everyone else who's watched them is always like "AAHH OMG!" 

Kids were chill. I filed stuff in his office and they just watched youtube videos. All I had to do was talk to them, laugh, and search for new videos. They'd disagree over the videos they'd want to watch but they listened to my decision. 

Last time when my coworker watched them they set off the panic button playing astronaut. We almost got campus police sent to us. 

Edited by iaawal