CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  

I don't know, Hume, I think compulsory voting, while not ideal, is an important way of ensuring that everyone at least has the opportunity to vote. I'm really not appreciative of donkey-voting, esp given that the current state of our politics is a fucking joke. I'd really like to see people NOT waste their votes and do something about getting real change and decent government happening here. There is a lot of good in Australia and a lot to risk and lose at the hands of incompetent government. 

it's the old "lead a horse to water" bernard. ideally everyone would research their parties too

I live in a very safe seat, my vote is worthless regardless of what I do, only swing seats mean anything

Do Australian elections not allow for write in votes?

I had to google what that is. Is that a real thing? How bizarre :blink:

You think that's bizarre, check out the Electoral College. 

electoral college is less alien. here we just elect local members for parliament, and  the members of a political party who gain power get to chose who is the leader, we've currently had one party in power 6 years, and two changes of prime minister in that time because the party had infighting and kept challenging each other to be PM

dunno how much sense that made, you had to be there...

we have three votes within the next 18 months coming up here. UK Parliament; Independence Referendum and Scottish Parliament.

you might complain about compulsory voting but I can guess that out of the three two of them will almost certainly have a turnout of less than 50%

People in the US, especially people of color, are having obstacles deliberately thrown in their way to make it impossible to vote. Prior to 1965, we called this a Poll Tax, but it isn't PC to say that now.

People stand in line for hours and hours, because the party which-must-not-be-named decided in the 70s that the only way they could win was to suppress the vote. North Carolina just passed the worst voting rights act since before the 1965 Federal Voting Rights Act. The Supreme court just eviscerated the VRA, and this is the result. They actually asked incredulously from the bench that surely the Attorney General wasn't implying that there are racists in the South? There are racists everywhere, but the South has a bit of a well earned reputation, you know?

I am envious that everyone in Australia is able to vote. I've voted in every single election since I turned 18, except once when I moved and it was too late to register. I vote for school board members, and water district managers, and lower court judges (although voting for judges is ludicrous and corrupt). I spend the days before the election trying to figure out who is who, and what each propositions *really* means.

Unless you're George Carlin, if you don't vote with some insight, who cares about your complaints?

People in the US, especially people of color, are having obstacles deliberately thrown in their way to make it impossible to vote. Prior to 1965, we called this a Poll Tax, but it isn't PC to say that now.

People stand in line for hours and hours, because the party which-must-not-be-named decided in the 70s that the only way they could win was to suppress the vote. North Carolina just passed the worst voting rights act since before the 1965 Federal Voting Rights Act. The Supreme court just eviscerated the VRA, and this is the result. They actually asked incredulously from the bench that surely the Attorney General wasn't implying that there are racists in the South? There are racists everywhere, but the South has a bit of a well earned reputation, you know?

I am envious that everyone in Australia is able to vote. I've voted in every single election since I turned 18, except once when I moved and it was too late to register. I vote for school board members, and water district managers, and lower court judges (although voting for judges is ludicrous and corrupt). I spend the days before the election trying to figure out who is who, and what each propositions *really* means.

Unless you're George Carlin, if you don't vote with some insight, who cares about your complaints?

This. So much this. Compulsory voting sounds awesome to me, because it at least ensures that the disadvantaged have access.

, if you don't vote with some insight,

that line is all i took from that. forcing people t vote just leads to "they'll do, i like the name" without any thought of policies, at least voluntary voting the people who go believe in what they vote for and vaguely know who the candidates are

that line is all i took from that. forcing people t vote just leads to "they'll do, i like the name" without any thought of policies, at least voluntary voting the people who go believe in what they vote for and vaguely know who the candidates are

I know my mom has done that, or along party lines or with her reverend.  Just because it was voluntary didn't mean it was informed.  I hope she was in the minority.  I have fears that she wasn't.

Well it's over and I guess we got the new  Parliment that we deserved !     No vision, no compassion and no imagination.

Not that I expected that from either of the main parties or their leaders.   It is ironic however that the country is so well ordered, serviced and relatively wealthy that it will continue to bumble on with barely even a bumpy ride. 

No one even notices the seriously disadvantaged, the homeless, the refugees, the disabled or the MI.    It is true that most will still have at least a roof over their heads on the majority of nights but that does not mitigate  against the underlying misery of most of those lives.

Voting was made compulsory here because of our relatively tiny population ... 23 million (USA pop 314 million) and the need to have a meaningful poll.             It is sad that we can not be more generous to the sector of our population that needs and deserves the  most care.

Edited by glasssss999

If voting is a right, it is simply wrong to make it mandatory because then it ceases to be a right and becomes an obligation. Such a system baffles me.

Then again, there are plenty of other systems that are also weird. The US to begin with, having the so-called electoral college, or, from a political science point of view, the only working democracy in the world that uses a centuries old system which implies that the 50 states are the ones holding sovereignty, separately and independently, instead of the country as a whole. In very simple terms, in the US, the vote of 1 person can and does weight more than the vote of another 1 person. Any other 2 party system can also be easily criticized (even if without the anachronism that the electoral college is) and with very strong arguments.

... but at the end of the day, Aussies, people in the US or from other developed countries with 2 party systems (UK slowly moving away from it, Spain will probably also move away from it) have it way better than the ones living in the so-called developing world. So for me you are all just whining : D

----(but whining/complaining/getting involved is a central part of democracy so it's OK)----

Edited by Lemmiwinks

good post lemmiwinks

our voting system is hard to break down in simple terms, the country is divided into "seats" each seat has a candidate stand, that candidate has to get 50% of the vote for that seat, if no one does [like a 20/39/41% split between three] then it goes to preferences, the 20% guy might preference the 39% guy and so get him up to 59%, over the guy that polled more primary vote. Can't remember how many seats there are, 140 odd i think, and the party with the most wins [unless a minor party can opt to vote with the losers on key issues and outweigh the party that has more]

it's interesting, and like you say, 1 vote in the seat of edan monaro is worth more than 1 vote in isaacs

but yeah, being told it is a democratic duty, instead of a right doesn't sit right

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By The Right Honourable Jimmy
      Simple Question 
      Theresa May as Prime Minister. Yes or No?

I'd say no though, because I don't think another "Thacher" will do any good for me (until I finish Uni and get a decent middle class job). If she becomes PM I firmly believe that she would privatise the NHS and I'd have to pay money to see my doctors and probably I'll have to pay hundreds for my medication which is a no no for me. She might be nice and genuine but until I start gaining 50K + a year I would have to say no.
    • By Chiaroscuro
      I hope everyone has had a good Christmas and New Years, or at least if not good, then not too traumatic.

My Xmas was better than I expected. The only downside is that now I've started eating again (not eating = not good) I'm back to binge eating which = not good either.

I'm going to book in to see the local psychologist this week and start working with her on my unhealthy relationship with food and I'll book in with my Shrink in Feb. Hopefully, with all of us, (& hubby's unwavering support) we'll figure it out

So right now, I've eaten waaaaaay too much pizza and I feel really quite sick which sux Can't wait to get my head sorted out LOL

Tomorrow, I'm going to buy the Xbox Kinect UFC Personal Trainer so I can get a work out even if I don't feel up to leaving the house

Anyways, I'm going to lie down now. :/

Signing off for now

Chiaroscuro
    • By humblestudent
      hello... i am a 31 years old woman living with bipolar1 disorder and lupus (systemic lupus erythematosis is an autoimmune illness that attacks the body's own organs, tissues, cells). i have been diagnosed with lupus since i was 17 and had it attack the brain and was hospitalised in the mental ward for 2 months when i was 19. that's when the psych meds started... after many unsuccessful attempts to be medicated, eventually abilify made its way into my life... i have been on it for 3 years and even tho i am grateful for it taking away the turbulance of moods and psychosis (from lupus) and mania etc, i feel resentful of it making me put on 20kgs... i have had weight issues most my life and body image issues most my life too so 20kgs is just unbearable. at the moment i am depressed and not very hopeful with my future. the psych doc said that there is no other choice but to take the medication because i react very badly to almost everything else...

i major in psychology in a bachelor of arts.. but its too research oriented and i hate maths.. so when it comes to statistics and lab reports i just cringe. therefore i dont get good results and cannot go for higher education and fulfill my desire to help other people like myself struggling with mental illness. but i heard that i can take the next best thing which is masters in counselling. it will be more oriented towards community work and social work but i am hoping to have a chat with the co-ordinator and maybe get a better idea of it (in australia psychology and counselling are not the same thing.. you can't be a psychologist if your training is in counselling only but you can be a counseller if u are a certified psychologist.. go figure). other than that i havent touched my passion for music for a very very long time... i miss it and it always feels like a part of myself is missing... i find that with the abilify i am not so passionate with anything...

i have 1 family member who is my mother, the rest are in another country and i dont talk to them at all... my other adopted family is my 2 bunny rabbits whom i love very very much... they are my babies. and i currently have 5 mice too. they like running on the wheel... lol

i live in a city apartment funded by my mother... without her constant financial support i would sure to be on the streets. i have very few friends... but the tiny few are very loyal and long term friends. i have had a bf for almost 2 years now who is very very supportive and loving of everything i do.

i like salsa dancing and latin music, balards, r n b (at least 90s r n b lol) and good singers and quality music. not that much of a fan of top 40s but sometimes a song catches my attention. i like horse riding but have not been for a very long time. i also like swimming and seeing movies... i used to like nature but there's too many bugs in it.. lol i like asian foods and have some intolerances...

if i were to wish for anything for myself right now i would wish for a solid, reasonably paid career where i can feel some purpose to my life because atm i feel none...

wishing everyone happy holidays and hope u'v have a great xmas and nye celebration to come
      xoxo
    • By crtclms
      Today was not the most fun day of my life, by a long shot. I woke up to my 2nd day of migraining. I hate my period. Even when I manage to avoid migraines the rest of the month, through heavy use of Excedrin, and all of my Imitrex, I absolutely always have a menstrual migraine. Ow, ow, ow, ow. This one was particularly bad. It is times like this that I *so* wish that my husband could drive. I am stuck with my pain, there is no way I can go for a shot, because they won't let me drive afterwards (nor would I really be safe to drive, to be frank). There is a Kaiser Permanente within walking distance, but I am not part of their system, and I really don't think they would help me out. They would probably just think I was a drug seeker anyway, since they don't have access to my medical records.

I always feel like by the 2nd day, I fucking deserve a shot of demerol. By the 4th day (which happens about twice a year), I am so sick, I can barely move. I know it is whiny, but seriously, why am I the lucky family member who won the chronic migraine lottery? Not to mention the bipolar roulette wheel. My sisters and dad all get migraines once or twice a year. Sister2 was bulimic as teen, and my Sister3 does have occasional episodes of depression (which I am not trying to belittle), but they are short and infrequent.

Sister3 is much more functional than I, having graduated with honors from a very good college. I went to a very good University, which I barely graduated from. Hers has only an undergraduate body, but is ranked in the same tier, and has a reputation for being much harder than mine. She is currently in Australia going to veterinary school. I couldn't be more jealous. I have always dreamed of living in England or Australia. Since the UK has become such a surveillance society, we decided that was out, and set our sites on Australia. DH and I had actually started the process of emigrating to Oz, until we found out his seizures made him too unstable to be accepted into the Australian health system as an immigrant, even though his field is one of the categories that they say they have an emergency shortage of. This is ironic, because I thought for sure I would be the one whose health was the problem. But because I have never been hospitalized, I am in the clear. But I don't have enough points to enter under my own power, bringing him along as a spouse. I would have to rely on his points. And there the game ends. His seizures rule out Canada as well. New Zealand is of no interest to him.

The whole point of looking into emigrating was we both have such serious pre-existing conditions that if we ever lost our insurance, we are totally screwed. When it became clear Obama was going to be elected, DH decided he wanted to stay in the US, because he was so certain a Public Option was going to be passed. Uh, right, that turned out well. At least we can't be turned down outright for pre-existing conditions, just charged a lot for them.

And now DH has been laid off. He is getting a ton of interviews, but hasn't hooked anyone yet. We are COBRA-ing at the moment, and I am just keeping my fingers crossed that he gets picked up within the next couple of months, because COBRA won't even go long enough to finish the rehab from my foot surgery.

Speaking of which, I apparently will be incapacitated longer than I thought. From the way the Surgical nurse was talking (or what I was hearing at any rate), I would be able to drive within a couple of weeks from the surgery. Now it looks like closer to two and a half to three weeks. Also, according to Sister3, who had the same surgery, but not as extensively (i.e., my foot is in much worse shape than hers was), she was on so much Oxycontin that she had to set her alarm to remember to take the next dose. And you have to stay on top of pain: once you let it get out of control, it is much harder to get back under control, and you actually need *more* drugs than if you just maintain a schedule.

I have to make a reservation for a little knee scooter to rent that my insurance won't cover. Gah. Plus, I have to bring crutches to the hospital. Last time I used them, when I had my knee reconstructed, I broke my pinky toe falling. I am so not looking forward to this, sometimes I feel like crying. The surgical nurse is making it more and more clear that I am really going to be incapacitated, it sounds like possibly even more so than when I broke my hip. Oh yes, I am the Queen of Orthopedia. I have also blown an ACL, torn through an entire muscle sheath on the outside of my ankle, and snapped a ligament in my other ankle. I used to own my own crutches and walker. Luckily, I held on to my shower bench, but I gave away my crutches to someone.

Yes, I am being a whiny bitch.

I had yummy artisan goat cheese, crackers, and lightly salted tomatoes for dinner. I think I have already said I am a cheese snob. DH has an interview *really* far from us tomorrow, so I am driving him over, it will take at least half an hour. At least it is near a Whole Foods. I am going to get that awesome truffle chevre, some more tomatoes, and some more crackers. Also I am hoping they have chopped liver because it is Chanukah. My dad promised to make some while I am in Pittsburgh, but I want EVEN MORE. It is so rare that I can get it. That is about the only thing I miss about living in NYC, fresh chopped liver any time I wanted it. *slurp* I am such a Jew. I also wish I had a Latke recipe that made fewer than 600 Latkes, it really is a deterrent. Whole Foods Latkes are really not that great, although maybe I will just get a couple, to have with some sour cream and apple sauce. Hmmm, maybe I will force DH to have a Jew dinner. I forget if Whole Foods also sells matzoh ball soup. That would rock. Although I actually make great matzoh balls, but I *do not* want to encourage the Indianmeal moths that we *finally* got rid of, and I make them from real meal, not from a mix. Again, *slurp.* One of the good things about DH is he'll eat pretty much anything.