CrazyBoards.org

Just Diagnosed w/ Bi Polar disorder/Lamictal

Hi Ironmanoles, welcome!

Denial over Bipolar diagnosis?  Absolutely.  Nobody wants it.  Actually one of the symptoms in the textbooks is "lack of insight".  Not being able to recognize the illness in oneself.

Lamictal effectiveness?  Most people tend to start to feel some effect around 50 -100mg.  But the titration upward is several weeks as you know. Lamictal tends to be a subtle drug that slow takes hold over weeks or several months.

For all the crazy drugs, you first have to get the drug up to a steady state in the body.  Then the drug has to start to work on the brain. It takes the brain 6 -8 weeks to grow new neurons. Once the new neurons are in place they can start to balance moods and thought patterns.

My personal rule of thumb is that it takes 3 -4 months before you start to see the full effects of a new med. Don't get discouraged, that doesn't mean you won't start to feel better sooner.  It's just that you can't expect to heal your brain from years of building illness overnight.

You may feel some increase restlessness or short temper initially on Lamictal, which should decrease fairly quickly.

Hang on, things WILL get better, I promise.  Take things one day at a time and feel free to come post.

Are you seeing a talk therapist? You will get better sooner if you do meds and talk at the same time.  honest.

Good luck

A.M.

Thanks AirMarshall for your insight!!! I guess things start to make sense once i take a step back and try to rationalize my past behavior and the reason I went for help in the first place ( gambling, spending to much money, sex, drugs, excessive exercise, hard time talking about any of these issues w/ current girlfriend or anyone at that matter

Thanks AirMarshall for your insight!!! I guess things start to make sense once i take a step back and try to rationalize my past behavior and the reason I went for help in the first place ( gambling, spending to much money, sex, drugs, excessive exercise, hard time talking about any of these issues w/ current girlfriend or anyone at that matter

Archived