CrazyBoards.org

smaller clothes: unhealthy or healthy behaviour?

i have this habit of buying clothes for when i'm skinnier. slight problem here - i have a wardrobe of clothing that i love, that i have either never or rarely worn - ie i haven't worn it in the last 5 years because i've been larger.

my latest obsession is this leather dress. it's like around 1/5 of the normal price. it's a size 12. i'm around a size 14-16-18. part of me is BUY THE THING AND GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH. but another part is...there will always be smaller clothes. buy the ones that fit you now, and wear the fuck out of them.

what do you do?

In this case, I would look at the "no returns accepted" tag at the bottom of the page and move along. It is a nice dress, but it's meant to be worn, not as a closet decoration. 

My vote: buy something you can wear NOW and wear the *bleep* out of it.

I say unhealthy, because it pushes you down to goals that may be unhealthy and unrealistic for you.

I've done this, and I ended up giving about half of my wardrobe away. I now own one red dress that I used to fit in to as a reminder. It reminds me of how ill I was, and how awful it felt to be that small.

I'm with Rosie, and I'm also with M@ri: "no returns accepted". That's quite expensive for something to not wear. The sizing may be off, as well. Sometimes a 12 will fit like a 14, other times it will fit like an 8!

I vote pass on the dress and buy some stuff that will fit and wear the eff out of them! I just went through my closet & am getting rid of my small clothes. I also went shopping and got some stuff that fits to replace the old clothes & feel pretty good about it.

Yes I too agree. Get some nice and stylish clothes that fit you now and wear the fuck outta them! That's my vote. I used to buy things that were a tad too small as well; thinking, well I'll lose some weight and then it will fit! But it's so hard for me to lose weight now with the meds. I've been slacking on exercise too, so that is another task to tackle. But anyways, yes buy some nice things and enjoy!

Yes I too agree. Get some nice and stylish clothes that fit you now and wear the fuck outta them! That's my vote. I used to buy things that were a tad too small as well; thinking, well I'll lose some weight and then it will fit! But it's so hard for me to lose weight now with the meds. I've been slacking on exercise too, so that is another task to tackle. But anyways, yes buy some nice things and enjoy!

^THIS. 

I keep all my clothes, especially the ones that are too small, like never again should  I wear small, I was really sick and always bought too small clothes. It's bad, and if it's something you don't do then I vote don't start. I agree with the internet and the no return thing, I don't even buy things that fit if there's no return!

Edited by Likeabowlof0ranges

i shop compulsively and its always for stuff that i tell myself ill wear when im thinner. not always because the clothes are so much tighter but sometimes because i just think theyd look better on a smaller body.

for the record though, id buy the dress if i were you.

• 2 weeks later...

i didn't go with it in the end, but i did end up buying a second hand dress which is uber mad menish, much larger, and closer to me fitting it. i'm hoping that another 30 days of bikram yoga means that i might just fit the thing.

I spent ages keeping old clothes in the hopes I would fit into them.  Then I went through a phase where I bought all my clothes too big so I wouldn't have to know my actual size.

Now I really do try to buy clothes that fit me, because I feel sexier and much more comfortable in clothes that are the right size.

Edited by tryp

• 4 weeks later...

I did this too, I had loads of clothes that were a little small for me, but when I was really bad and I was losing it was a case of 'well they'll fit me in a month or so' but eventually they just sat there waiting for me to fit them and I was actually heading in the opposite direction. I got rid of a load of them when I moved out of my parents, my sister helped me clear out my wardrobe and now I only have a couple of garments that are 'never should I wear again' small. 

I keep meaning to pass them on to a charity shop, go through my whole wardrobe whilst I'm at it, but I need a bag and I actually might go and do this now??

I've just had a burst of energy and determination to go clear out the small shit from my closet. 

I'd definitely buy stuff for the here and now and wear it to death. I know some diets recommend you buy a party dress in a size smaller than you are as weight loss motivation but I honestly think that's not a great idea if you have a history of ED. I know since losing some weight I don't necessarily fit smaller clothes, but I fit my current ones better? O.o

I did this too, I had loads of clothes that were a little small for me, but when I was really bad and I was losing it was a case of 'well they'll fit me in a month or so' but eventually they just sat there waiting for me to fit them and I was actually heading in the opposite direction. I got rid of a load of them when I moved out of my parents, my sister helped me clear out my wardrobe and now I only have a couple of garments that are 'never should I wear again' small. 

I keep meaning to pass them on to a charity shop, go through my whole wardrobe whilst I'm at it, but I need a bag and I actually might go and do this now??

I've just had a burst of energy and determination to go clear out the small shit from my closet. 

I'd definitely buy stuff for the here and now and wear it to death. I know some diets recommend you buy a party dress in a size smaller than you are as weight loss motivation but I honestly think that's not a great idea if you have a history of ED. I know since losing some weight I don't necessarily fit smaller clothes, but I fit my current ones better? O.o

Yes! Go and fill those bags for the charity store, you don't need them. You'll feel better when your wardrobe is all things you love and can wear right now. 

Yes! Go and fill those bags for the charity store, you don't need them. You'll feel better when your wardrobe is all things you love and can wear right now. 

They are in a bag by the door! The red cross man is due next tuesday so they will be there awhile. It took me nearly 2 hours, and I think I could go through it again, but omg. Just omg. I've even gone through stuff that fits but has holes in or that I just don't wear any more. I had a lot of clothes as I don't really throw them out.

So glad that's over!

• 1 month later...

Hey!

This is a topic I can totally relate to, and I believe most people with and ED can. I have the largest wardrobe known to man kind with every size under the sun! I just can't let go of my skinny cloths. But I know now how much better and happy I feel when I know I look good in the right size. When I force something on to small it emphasises every imperfection! And only makes me feel worse!

You need to learn how to dress your body that makes you feel good not just by what the size is!

Infact, go home and cut the labels off your clothes! Its only a number. (I know as somebody with an ED it tends to be an important number!) But you got to brake the cycle!!!

So no to the dress! Unless you look at a more appropriate size :)

xxx