CrazyBoards.org

Is this "normal" - insofar as possible - for a SI-er?

Ophelie

Is it "normal" - insofar as anything is in the realms of self-injury - to start out very young with one form of self-injury and then evolve others as one grows up? I scratched myself and hit myself constantly from the age of about 6, I'm told (I don't remember it myself), and remember switching to mostly cutting at about 11. Today, I mostly take overdoses, though I still do scratch, cut, and hit.

All of the accounts of self-injury I've ever read or heard describe a constant use of certain means. I've never heard of anyone "growing into" new forms of self-injury with time. Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by Ophelie

It depends. My ritual has not changed since it was first developped.

My other forms of SI, my vices, they are always changing over the years. Sometimes they lean more towards an eating disorder or a drug habit, sometimes they lean more towards traditional bodily injury.

Yes, I've used two or three or four different forms (depending on what you count as SI) at different points. It has shifted back and forth for me too. I wouldn't say I've grown into different methods. I think it's more to do with what I have access to, how much shame I am feeling about SI and whether it's a fleeting impulse or more persistent.

I did SI stuff when I was about 15/16, it disappeared for a long time before it popped up again in 2010 (then aged 26), and has disappeared again. Forever, if I have any say in it!

It has not evolved over time, I guess what I used to SI got sharper? I've abused drugs and alcohol for quite awhile (alcohol longer than drugs).

I forgot what I was going to say, sorry.

• 4 weeks later...