CrazyBoards.org

3.75mg zopiclone = four hours' sleep...

Hi! I was recently prescribed 3.75mg zopiclone for my insomnia. However, it only seems to give me, on average, four hours' sleep - from about midnight to 4am. I then lie awake, overthinking; alternatively, I prise myself out of bed and go do something aimless until the day begins.

My GP has made it clear to me that the zopiclone is not for long-term use, and that I should learn to sleep without it. However, it seems that it isn't "strong" enough to make me sleep. It took a long time for me to extricate zopiclone 3.75 from him; what should I do about getting something more? I next speak to my pdoc on Tuesday.

What else are you doing to support good sleep?

Do you do "all the things" possible like having a soothing bed time routine, no caffeine after a certain point in time (for me it's noon, for others its more like 4pm), getting enough physical activity during the day, making the bed only for sleep and sex, no screens in bed (laptops, etc), and no screens for an hour before bed, etc.

I know that not being able to sleep totally sucks. 

Sometimes it seems I can do all these things and not sleep well. And also the more I do these things regularly, the better sleep it seems possible to get naturally.

You can also try keeping a sleep log/journal to help document what's going on.

Have you had a sleep study to rule out any obvious reasons for not being able to sleep?

There is a large proportion of people on the Autistic Spectrum who have problems with sleep. It is Unfortunately my experience that in the UK understanding of ASD's are very limited especially in Adult Services but also in General Practice.

For me it was a case of working out what helps me to sleep and what I absolutely cannot do. But the two things that work the most are - any kind of reading and also music on at a low level for back ground noise. In general I will read myself to sleep as the guarenteed way. And that really only works because I then cannot keep my eyes open.

Edited by helenllama

3.75mg is the recommended male dose of Intermezzo (zolpidem sublingual). It is specifically designed to give you four hours of sleep, which is why it's prescribed for mid-night awakening. If you need something to give you a full night's sleep, 3.75mg of zolpidem is not going to do that. 

3.75mg is the recommended male dose of Intermezzo (zolpidem sublingual). It is specifically designed to give you four hours of sleep, which is why it's prescribed for mid-night awakening. If you need something to give you a full night's sleep, 3.75mg of zolpidem is not going to do that. 

I wanted to let you know lark, the OP is not on zolpidem.  The OP is on a different drug called "Zopiclone"

Here is the link about the med:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zopiclone

Edited by netsavy006

What else are you doing to support good sleep?

Do you do "all the things" possible like having a soothing bed time routine, no caffeine after a certain point in time (for me it's noon, for others its more like 4pm), getting enough physical activity during the day, making the bed only for sleep and sex, no screens in bed (laptops, etc), and no screens for an hour before bed, etc.

I know that not being able to sleep totally sucks. 

Sometimes it seems I can do all these things and not sleep well. And also the more I do these things regularly, the better sleep it seems possible to get naturally.

You can also try keeping a sleep log/journal to help document what's going on.

Have you had a sleep study to rule out any obvious reasons for not being able to sleep?

I'm a bit scruffy when it comes to general sleep hygiene, I must admit. I thought it wouldn't matter very much if there were a pill to help.

The only time in my life I've really slept well was when I was on olanzapine, and then I slept at real inappropriate times.

A sleep diary was what led up to my being prescribed zopiclone. I've never had a sleep study, no; perhaps I should talk to my pdoc about it. Somehow, whenever I mention sleep, my pdoc seems to change the subject.

I'm a bit scruffy when it comes to general sleep hygiene, I must admit. I thought it wouldn't matter very much if there were a pill to help. 

If you can fix the problem without needing regular medication, wouldn't that be better for your body in the long run?

That way you have the med to supplement if you're still not getting the desired results and you have tried everything within your power to make it better.

I'd encourage you to give it a go and see what happens. Give your body its best shot at being able to sleep on its own.