CrazyBoards.org

I'm having major issues with seroquel related constipation. I'm already active; I go to the gym 3-4x a week. I'm eating my fibre and anyway, fibre doesn't help medication related constipation much. I'm not dehydrated either unless the topamax is doing so behind my back. Seroquel is working perfectly besides this side effect so I really don't want to have to change meds. Abilify wouldn't help with sleep and there is absolutely no way that I would go on Zyprexa and they wouldn't put me on it either. 

Is it okay to be dependent on laxatives while on antipsychotics? I'm not abusing them but I've tried everything. I've even drank 3 glasses of milk a day and I'm lactose intolerant. Is my only option to change meds? Thanks.

I take Metamucil occasionally for that side effect.  Drink lots of water, I don't think milk will help.  Also, there are delicious little individually wrapped prunes Sunsweet Ones.  I would discuss it with my pdoc in case there is some other help, prescription??

I've actually never heard of constipation being a seroquel side effect.  If anything, over the many years I've been on this med my experiences have been the opposite - bordering on daily diarrhea (I won't be gross and go into graphic detail).  I agree with the others who said you should bring this up with your pdoc.

Several people on the boards use Miralax. I use Docusate Sodium (There is also a brand, dulculax) as a stool softener, and while you can use it daily for a while, you really shouldn't for more than 6-8 weeks without your pdoc knowing. Actually, if you are taking it daily, your pdoc should know, I am guessing there is a good chance it could interact with something. I don't take it daily, just when I need a little help. Maybe once a week, at most. 

I like prunes *in* things, as part of a larger recipe, but not by themselves. Good luck, constipation sucks.