CrazyBoards.org

Is it time for Schizophrenia Disorders to have their own board?

There seem to be a lot of people here now who have schiz or SZA or schizotypal or some form of a schizophrenia diagnosis. Yet, there is no separate board for the diagnostic spectrum. There are boards for many other diagnoses. Now that there are a lot of sz spectrum site users, why not create a board for sz? The illness does have its own set of issues that those with other disorders aren't so attuned. 

Psychosis is a symptom shared by a number of diagnoses like depression and bipolar or PTSD as well as sz. I think it should remain its own board since the symptoms can be touchy topics that folks sometimes want to discuss with others who have had the experience. Posting to a disorder board doesn't always feel right and it'd be awkward for someone with depression, for example, to use a sz board to discuss delusions. 

I think it's time to expand the boards to include a separate sz spectrum board to better cater to the current customers.

Just my two cents.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind sharing. 

Edit:  I was always of the mind that it was schizophrenia (plus other flavors of sz) along with a side helping of the various psychotic.  I think that the various others are what gives the board more traffic and flavor.  That's just me though and I shouldn't post edits while hungry.

Edited by MrTastybutt

I am not understanding your point. The board is shared because a delusion is a delusion is a delusion. Just like paranoia is paranoia is paranoia. A person with depression with psychotic features can be just as if not more delusional than a SZ sufferer. Not to mention that SZA has a mood aspect such as depressive type.

Should we have a board for every illness specifier?! Do we need a board for mania experienced by a SZA person vs mania experienced by a BP I person? How about a mania board and a hypomania board? Mania is certainly more extreme than hypomania in certain aspects. How about a board for those with panic disorder with agoraphobia and a board for those without agoraphobia. They have different experiences too, although they both experience a lot of psychiatric pain. Should we hurl the avoidant personality disorderd people in a separate board because they experience different symptoms than people with borderline PD?

Do you get my point yet? There could be a million boards for every different specifier or disorder. I find it rather unecessary and a big pain in the rear. Next we ban SZA people from CB for using the bipolar forum even though they have a bipolar type specified condition along with the SZ aspect. Where will it end? I fail to see any logic behind this.

And I also would like to add that I find your personal vendetta against VE and CB to be flat out annoying as hell. You do not own these boards and have no option to make changes to them (thank goodness). So mind your own business for once!

it the only axis I that doesnt have it's own section. and i dont' have mood things. and i do have thgs otther than psychosis.

i just don't uderstand why we cant' have a section . *everything elde*  ALLERGIES has a section.  it has often made me feel like...my diagnosis isant' respected enough for us to get  a place.

and becaude schizophrenia is more then psychosis

as is presumably respected with  bipolar and depression  and whatever else get the hodge podge that  includes mty diagnosis.....AND their own.

as i said...it has often felt like we're reduced to psychosis...and that's inaccurate..and...then..

look, i joined here with my friend in 2011.. and never felt really..,..was like my diagnosis having  placer was an afterthought  at best.. NOT saying that's who it was done...i'm saying...and granted...i have spent a lot of the past two years in the hospital...but. i'd look..and..lt  didn't seem like a place  because most threads ..

i'm not explakning 5this well.  but i will also say...when i came this time... i just made  post ON a thread asking if others with a straight  schizpophrenia diagnosis.

my post was  made into its own thread...entitled :"defining identity"  (WTF!!)  and then people took turns explain why schizoaffective was just as much schizophrenia as i am....one even suggested a need for eduction.(WTF?) i deadened fucking say anteing nevgateive abuts SZA and i am well aware of the critertrtia.  my innocent post,  looking  for people...was made intto a platform to defend SZA-

to be clear: 

I DO NOT WANT SZ SPLIT FROM SZA.

but i cannot help  but think the  the conglomeration of alll -psychosis and conflagtion of sz=psychosis.   didn't' pave tge way fro me  to b e totally attwajked. i recnrly saw a thead askign "anyone with deprsonalitstion dis order?"   why was tath not attacked fpor trying to invalisdat?  oh..i lknow: nvecause ythat would hve been bullsthit

'"

that felt like it wwas a "we d0 not rcognoize your diagnosis"  than anythihgn else.    and, i DO rte late more easily to other wtih paranoid scxhizophtenics and uniffferentialtied sz (maybe becuase tbey understad that sz deosnt simpoey equal lpsycbhiosis) ...it doesn't mean Ithink others arent legit any more than OCD peopler relate means GAD isnt'.

SINCE then, people like you,cheese were ore werlcoming and musch appreciate. but...we 're not really serving tjhe population. as aim in tyeh minorty.....ihansks frot opprothntby yo girr my take...theis    board takles a fanosis affectging 1%ov teh popykrtuib,..and redcces ys ito psychosis...

SORRY FOR YTOSPS  IT;S THE AKAYHISIA ND IELL TRYTO  COME BACK AND CORRECT

Edited by mellifluous

I dunno, I find the Schizophrenia and Various Psychoses board gets a lot of varied traffic, which I like. I enjoy that it is not limited to just schizophrenia and schizoaffective etc. Perhaps, the name of the board could be changed to something like "Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective, Schizotypal and other psychoses." Or something like that. I do worry that people with other schizophrenia spectrum disorders won't be able to find their way to the psychosis board. But I don't know if that's a problem, or just something I worry about. But overall, I enjoy that people with any flavour of psychosis can feel comfortable posting on the psychosis board. 

Are you proposing a psychosis board AND a schizophrenia spectrum board? I honestly think that would confuse people. Like, which forum do they post in, SZ/SZA/StPD or psychosis?

ETA: I'm one of the mods on Schizophrenia and Various Psychoses. 

Edited by Parapluie

Mell, I would like to reply to you but I am having trouble understanding what you are trying to say to me or about me. I know it's the damn akisithia or however you spell the thing. It sounds so painful and I can tell by your posts and the fact that you can't sleep. I've only had it mildly so I can't imagine.

ETA: are you saying I was a good person and now I'm not? I don't get it. If so I'm very sad because I really respect you.

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

it the only axis I that doesnt have it's own section. and i dont' have mood things. and i do hve thintgs otther than psychosis.

i just don't uderstand why we cant' have a sectopm. *everything elde*  ALLERGIES has a swectkon.  it has often made me feel like...my diagnosis isant' respected enoght for us to get  a place.

and becaude schizopherniai  is more then psychosis

with...presumsnlry  is  bipolar anf depreeskpna and watjevert else get the hodbgw podge thaf  includes mty dignosis.....AND thdif own.

as i said...it has often felt like we're reduced to psychosis...and that's inccueate..and...then..

look, i joined here with my friend in 2011.. and never felt really..,..was ilike my diagnosis was an after thoghuth y best.. NOT sayfnt thayt's who it sas done...i'm saying...and granted...i have spent a lot of the past two years in the hospital...but. i'd look..and..lt  didn't seem like a place  becausw most rthreads ..

i'm not explakning 5this well.  but i will also asay...when i came thistiem... i juwt made  post ON a thread asking if there wfrw otherts woitj a straight  schizpophrenia diagnosis.

my post was  made into its own thread...entitled :"defining identity" and then people took turns explain why shizsoaffdective was juts as much schizophrenia as ism. one even suggested a need for eduction. i deident' fucking say anteing nevgateive abuts SZA and i am well awatrg og yhr vtirtyis.  my innocent  lokigh t0r people...wasn madre intto a platform hto defend SZA. now...to be clear:

I DO NOT WANT SZ SPLIT FROM SZA.

buty icannoy hrlp but think tenh the conglomeration of alll -os[sychosis andn conflagtion of sz=psychosis..didnt' pave tge way fro me  to b e totoaly attwajked. i recnrly saw a thead askign "anyone with deprsonalitstion dis order?"   why was tath not attacked fpor trying to invalisdat?  oh..i lknow: nvecause ythat would hve been bullsthit

'"

that felt liek it wwas a "we d0 not rcognoize your diagnosis"  than anythihgn else.    and, i DO rte late more easily to other wtih paranoid scxhizophtenics and uniffferentialtied sz (maybe becuase tbey understad that sz deosnt simpoey equal lpsycbhiosis) ...it doesn't mean Ithink others arent legit any more than OCD peopler relate means GAD isnt'.

SINCE then, poeplelike you,cheese were ore werlcomeking and musch apprecgiagt. but...we 're not really serving tjhe population. as aim in tyeh minorty.....ihansks frot opprothntby yo girr my take...theis    board takles a fanosis affectging 1%ov teh popykrtuib,..and redcces ys ito psychosis...

SORRY FOR YTOSPS  IT;S THE AKAYHISIA ND IELL TRYTO  COME BACK AND CORRECT

I just want to say that I'm sorry you feel invalidated, Mell. I can appreciate your points. There are very few people here with a straight schizophrenia diagnosis, it's true. I'm not sure why that is. A friend and I have talked about this at length. 

I also want to say I'm sorry you're dealing with such bad akathisia and sleeplessness. I hope you feel better soon. 

i have no business being in this discussion probably but i think it is not a bad idea, i have something in my head about DID being different from other kinds of dissociation and kinda getting melliflous point about schiz/sza being kind of a different animal than psychoses that happen with other dxs, i can't quite form the argument though sorry.  with the DD board it doesnt matter because we dont get a lot of traffic from people with DID so we dont need our own board, but if all of a sudden there were all kinds of multiples coming here maybe it would be appropriate to seperate things out a little bit.  dammit i wish i could explain myself.  when i post about being psychotic i think it would be less annoying to the people on that board if it was already obvious i'm probably not coming from the same situation or something.  sorry.

With a site so huge and filled with forums already, I'm not so certain that continued division of what are admittedly already many many categories would be beneficial or even less confusing.  In fact I think it could stand a good chance of being even more confusing.

As it currently stands there is an incredibly common mistake that people make (it happens, it's not a bad thing,) where they seem to think that if they have a BP diagnosis then they should only be posting in the Bipolar forum... even if their question is about a medication, anxiety issues, frustration with the medical system, and various other subjects not BP-specific (the meds thing can fall into a gray area sometimes and when I am re-locating threads I do so on a carefully considered case-by-case basis.)

However I can concede that many with a SZ Dx may not feel entirely at home amongst a forum that, while it has their Dx listed right at the very start of the forum name, contains many people posting who may overlap in some issues but do not share the Dx.

I've not experienced psychosis, AFAIK and as far as the docs can tell (if you don't count some drug-induced stuff back in my late teens.)  I can't speak to the culture of that board because I rarely ever find myself in it.  I can tell you about the bipolar board though, oh yes.  At least, my experiences and views of it, filtered through my lens.

Now, I like the BP board.  And I have BP.  But I don't feel as though I am even on the same wavelength as most people who end up posting in there.  That's not wrong, that's not bad, we just have rather different experiences despite sharing the same Dx.  I get hypomania, not mania.  I get aggressive, dyshporic, anxiety-packed hypomania that isn't euphoric and very very very rarely makes me more productive -- I also become less able to make or create things, and even more of a reclusive hermit than I already am.  I get depressions, where I struggle to get any sleep (though sometimes I struggle to be awake,) where I am highly impulsive in order to distract myself from how shitty I feel, where I create endlessly as yet another attempt at distraction, where I am much more social than normal in order to distract myself, etc. etc.  And despite my applying for disability and issues with work performance, I actually seem to have quite a good handle on my BP (for now.)  I get breakthrough episodes and they're handled in a rather short amount of time.  I have amazing doctors that I was lucky as hell to end up with, and I trust them implicitly, so I follow their directions specifically.  I am med compliant except when my neuro-atypicality steps in to interfere when I'm not looking.  I don't get hypersexual, never have been, though I'm a pretty sexual person overall.  I seem to retain a pronounced sense of insight when I'm in an episode, or perhaps now that we catch & treat them so quickly the 'insight in the early stages' doesn't get much of a chance to fade.

While there are many users on the site who match me in some of those traits, and a few who directly match me in them, those aren't the vast majority of topics I come across in BP.  And that's fine, I don't expect our diagnoses to be expressed in the same way at all.  I do enjoy sharing our points in common, and I have been helped greatly by others with BP whose own illness is predominantly not expressed in the same way mine is at all.  However the vast majority of the time I don't really feel as though I belong in the BP forum despite sharing the same diagnosis.  So very many posts that I can't relate to.

Sometimes there will pop up topics I can more easily relate to, to which I tend to readily respond (if I'm active on the board at the time.)  I could even start some of my own, reaching out to others who may feel similarly, if I felt the pressing need to do so (so far I have not, but perhaps this will change in the future.)  I have done this in my blog from time to time.  I actually find it quite fascinating how some very very different diagnoses can, externally, appear so similar, or even lead to similar destinations... but they key point is that they start out, from the inside, from very very different things.

I can't speak for all of CB or all of the CB staff, or any of them for that matter.  I can't speak for those with SZ or SZA or any sort of MI issues that involve psychosis.  I know that I personally think, taking my experiences from the BP board, if people with an SZ diagnosis are interested in more SZ-specific content on the board, they should try out posting some topics that are SZ-specific.  I'm not saying this will solve anything, more positing it as an experiment, or perhaps the start of effecting change.  At the very least staring some info-gathering to see if there needs to be one, as voiced by users who truly have a stake in the questions.  Perhaps there are many others who feel as you do, and who would be glad to see such content relevant to themselves appearing in the forum.  If I'm reading you correctly, the perceived concern is that those with psychosis issues not based in SZ are (would be?) uncomfortable posting to the place, or perhaps since the SZ/Psychosis forum is so broad that perhaps SZ folks are feeling uncomfortable?  Because my understanding of your point is what I've been basing my entire response on.

I don't have a sort of solution or anything, and I'm not denying this suggestion either, I'm just also not necessarily agreeing with it.  I would think perhaps more discussion and information seeking should be done (which yes, this thread is obviously a part of instigating, which is good.)  IIRC, typically the choices about making a new forum or sub-forum are partially based in "will this subject get enough traffic on its own; will it pull away enough traffic from the original group to the point of making the original group rather obsolete," and in the case of the latter well that could perhaps be served just as well by an attempt at re-framing or re-defining the focus/name/etc. of a particular board.

Edited by Mirazh

Mell, I would like to reply to you but I am having trouble understanding what you are trying to say to me or about me. I know it's the damn akisithia or however you spell the thing. It sounds so painful and I can tell by your posts and the fact that you can't sleep. I've only had it mildly so I can't imagine.

ETA: are you saying I was a good person and now I'm not? I don't get it. If so I'm very sad because I really respect you.

cheese, i adore and respect you..

NOT about you at all...i mean you and para and some other are why i bolded that did NOT WATN TO BE SPLIT  FROM YOU

you have always been and are now a goof person...

fuck, i cant find where you see that...but I ILKIKE YOU AND RESECT YOU AND =CANNOT RECALL A TIME I HAVENt.

i triedt to fix typos

OH i was saying since i 1st got set up (*not by you, by someone not even here)  ;...i returned to the section because i *met* people like=YOU.

i am saying i met you and  you are one the reasons i stayed..

fuck..pleas tell em this makes sense. i so sorry you  r sad becauser of ,me

Edited by mellifluous

I apologize for misreading your post mell. In fact I apologize to everyone. It's not an excuse but I'm about losing my mind manic and have been for a while. I had some small med changes but they don't have samples so I don't start the increase til mail order come and it is a holiday weekend. Wtf I will stop talking here and blog my mind out. I'm sorry for disrespecting and being off. Topic.

i asked if there were of the jsutns

sz

MIZ:

in answer to your suggestion about creating threads ...

1. seems unfaur three is an ALLERGIS section. that is not in the DSM...but we have to prove we stuff other than psychosis? come on,seriously.!?

2, background:

i had undergone 17 rounds fo ECT for refractory  SZ.on an existent thread--general info on the section--i asked if others were SZ only like me

(to see if it was worth creating a separate thread because ECT is so often done for mood--i didnt 'notice the ECT section ty the time )

my post was turned into thread...the one linked above..titled something fucked  up :defining identity" (WTYF?)...and open season. no, MIZ...i didn't exactly feel comfortable posting anything even hinting....as SZ only. 

just to recap:  i asked (legitimately...after 17 bilateral rounds of ECT for refractory SZ--NO MOOD component.)   "i  notice a lot of SZA, is there anyone else like me with SZ?"  and was repeatedly told: we have everything you have and there is no difference (well..that;/s what the kind people sad.  one suggested i needed to educate myself..and anther said  "it's not a contest" (WTF?! )

One of the fundamental aspects of establishing a group identity is the ability to exclude others.  By excluding others you are able to form a stronger bond of belonging and identification with a group.  This very site is built upon the premise of excluding the general population that do not personally, directly suffer from MI, regardless of how aligned they may be with us in every other category.  By doing this we build a community that feels safe in that they have their own special place and their experiences will be validated because they will be surrounded by other with the same experience who are also looking for validation and support.  This is the very nature of support groups.  I know that it wouldn't be an act of total exclusion in that others would be able to see whats going on and have the mechanical ability to comment, but it would still have the strong symbolism that comes with a category and separation.  

The only downside I can see to forming such a board is that I feel it might dilute and weaken the support for broader forms of psychosis.  If there wasn't a board that funneled all psychosis into one place than it would have to be broken down into its individual natures, such depression, mania, chemical, PTSD, and so on.  This would weaken the ability to go to others and gain the widest possible support possible.  

The question seems to be, "Would the increased support caused by forming a separate Schizophrenia disorders board be worth the potential loss of support that would happen if psychosis of all stripes no longer had a central clearing house?"  It seems to be a simple Boolean question.  Then again, it really does get down to what does the management think of the idea.

The question seems to be, "Would the increased support caused by forming a separate Schizophrenia disorders board be worth the potential loss of support that would happen if psychosis of all stripes no longer had a central clearing house?"  It seems to be a simple Boolean question.  Then again, it really does get down to what does the management think of the idea.

I'm one of the mods on Schizophrenia and Various Psychosis. At this point in time I'm leaning towards leaving it the way it is now. We'll keep an eye on it to see if making another board makes sense.

CB is huge and has many sections already.  The questions of content/support dilution, additional confusion about where to post, along exactly what line this proposed split would happen, what needs are perceived as not being met, this very board's past history in similar situations, if there's other ways of meeting needs, etc.  I think all of these are very important points to be considered.

Edited by Mirazh

Yeah, psychotic disorders of any sort aren't all that common, so it makes sense to clump them together for that reason.  

But I don't see why schizophrenia is so different from something like psychotic depression... Especially if one is talking about the psychotic aspect specifically.

The only downside I can see to forming such a board is that I feel it might dilute and weaken the support for broader forms of psychosis.  If there wasn't a board that funneled all psychosis into one place than it would have to be broken down into its individual natures, such depression, mania, chemical, PTSD, and so on.  This would weaken the ability to go to others and gain the widest possible support possible.  

This is a really good point.

Yeah, psychotic disorders of any sort aren't all that common, so it makes sense to clump them together for that reason.  

But I don't see why schizophrenia is so different from something like psychotic depression... Especially if one is talking about the psychotic aspect specifically.

Most other illnesses don't deal with negative symptoms.

If most with sz spectrum stuff don't want their own board, then this is a non-issue. I just thought it'd be easier for me as a non-sz person to raise the issue. I thought it was worth asking because I've heard the complaint off and on over the years, there seems to be a fair amount of sz spectrum traffic, and well, it is the only Axis 1 without it's own board.

With all due respect anne marie there are more reasons than negative symptoms why schizophrenia is different from psychotic depression or anything else. Not saying certain elements don't overlap, but so do depression and bipolar and I'm assuming its the overall pictures being different that makes people repair and recognize they are different illnesses. Why that is lacking for mine us beyond me. The onset, variety of impairments and how they present, that it is a progressive degenerative illness, the statistical outcomes, the variety of disorganized symptoms, the anosognosia that so often leads to discontinuation and relapse, the incidence of legal issues, the length and number of hospitalization a on average and how damaging that alone is to social functioning. Schizophrenia has more than just hallucinations and delusions, too. There's formal thought disorder, catatonia, all of the negative symptoms, grossly disorganized behavior and inappropriate social expression...and those are ones I know off the top of my head. And if you spend considerable time in groups and programs and hospital stays...or just know a lot of schizophrenics...we have more than two symptoms. It's a huge diagnosis and I promise you my symptom presentation is a lot different from someone with psychotic depression. If nothing else, I don't have a mood disturbance. So the SOLE similarities would be some element of psychosis. Though, I've never known someone with psychotic depression whose psychosis is really like mine at all in content pervasiveness and so forth.

******Above I wanted to give some idea of the depth and variety of differences between schizophrenia and other disorders presenting with psychosis. Below is more generally addressed to members of this site, on this thread obviously but more generally regarding the cultural inclusion and status of those of us with a strict schizophrenia diagnosis.*******

So many times on these boards I've seen people told to go educate themselves about another illness when someone says inaccurate things or asks what are taken to be invalidating or dismissive about a persons diagnosis and what I'm seeing from this thread is that my diagnosis is somehow different. How often do people jump to say "don't invalidate others' diagnoses" and yet that is exactly what I see happening here. There's no move to even understand, I'm not seeing anyone even give the same "don't invalidate" every other fuckung person one his sure gets--rightfully. I would never invalidate or dismiss or reduce ANY other diagnosis. I really am shocked because I really like a lot of the people here and apart from my completely inhospitable "welcome" I thought that was a one off. But there seems to be an emerging pattern that schizophrenia and those of us with it aren't afforded the same respect or even acknowledgment. It's kinda fucked up because we get messages from society that we don't fit all of the time because of all the things I mentioned above (and keep in mind, I was once, relative to others with my diagnosis, moderately high functioning. I think you lack an appreciation of the illness because a huge percentage of people with it will never be or been high enough functioning to know or to even be able to know this sure exists or what it means that a mental health forum that promotes education and demands respects and validation for every other diagnosis doesn't for ours.

This isn't even about having a section for me, though, yeah I have thought that's kinda fucked up and saw this thread and jumped on it. It is abundantly clear we are way in the minitity and what we are afforded is beyond our control. I implore others to promote the equality of respect and validation a site with this ones culture and statements of reason for existence...to promote those for the minority of which i am a menber. You've lived lifetimes of exclusion and dismissal and been subjected to prejudice intolerance and ignorance for being mentally ill. And you've been in the minority position and suffered the will of or been afforded the recognition of mattering as persons by that majority. You are in the majority position now. A section means nothing compared to whether this community, which means its individual members, will stand up for us, too. Will you as individuals apply the same messaging and approaches to us. Will you demand respect and recognition and denounce invalidation and reduction? There are people I've really enjoyed on this thread and many more in this community. But enjoying conversation of being helpful or a thead or having an interesting chat experience...that's all great but at the end of the day, if i abide by the rules of this community to the best of my ability and participate in earnest and grant others respect, do I and others with my diagnosis get the same benefits and protection by others against ignorance and intolerance?

As I said, this isn't even close to being about a section or not that us obviously waaaaay secondary if there is at issue a more basic "do we get equal recognition as existing and being included". I feel kinda like a naive tag a long who's ok at recess, but not really a member of the club. I do want to acknowledge that i dont doubt (or dont want to) there are some who want us here and actually see we are not reducible to one feature or another diagnosis--even if only some of the schizoaffectives and other psychosis folks. Yeah, it's a weird combination to wonder in a more social-political minority voice sense if i'm not counted as meriting the same recognition in a community and this just hurting my feelings because I am fuckung human and it sucks to feel excluded. It also sucks to think you might've been all along and are just now getting the message through your thick head.

Edited by mellifluous