CrazyBoards.org

Record for longest ocean swim.

I liked reading about this today.  A distance swimmer swam all of the way from Cuba to Florida!  How amazing is that?

Amid all of the sad news stories, it is refreshing to read one about someone accomplishing a lifelong dream:

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/2/us-swimmer-completesrecordbreakingcubafloridaswim.html

It is absolutely amazing she finally accomplished her longtime goal.  What a tribute to perseverance.

Can't help but wonder if Diana Nyad was the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida not in a shark cage, who DID swim that route in the cage?  Were they attacked by sharks?

It is absolutely amazing she finally accomplished her longtime goal.  What a tribute to perseverance.

Can't help but wonder if Diana Nyad was the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida not in a shark cage, who DID swim that route in the cage?  Were they attacked by sharks?

No one has tried it before her, that I am aware of. I think they said the shark cage statement because the waters are infested with sharks, and knowing that ahead of time were concerned about it.

I am so glad she accomplished this!  It has been a dream of hers for the longest time and she did it!  At 64 years old, too.

Doctors aboard a support vessel said earlier on Monday the swimmer's tongue and lips were swollen, her speech was slurred and concerns were raised about her breathing, her blog said.

I hope she's alright and makes a full recovery.  

Doctors aboard a support vessel said earlier on Monday the swimmer's tongue and lips were swollen, her speech was slurred and concerns were raised about her breathing, her blog said.

I hope she's alright and makes a full recovery.  

I saw her on the news today, and she is out of the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

Can't help but wonder if Diana Nyad was the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida not in a shark cage, who DID swim that route in the cage? Were they attacked by sharks?

"The treacherous Florida Straits has been swam only once before. Australian Susie Maroney, using a protective cage, was 22 when she completed the crossing in 1997. The cage glided on currents and allowed her to finish the swim in only 25 hours."

Can't help but wonder if Diana Nyad was the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida not in a shark cage, who DID swim that route in the cage? Were they attacked by sharks?

"The treacherous Florida Straits has been swam only once before. Australian Susie Maroney, using a protective cage, was 22 when she completed the crossing in 1997. The cage glided on currents and allowed her to finish the swim in only 25 hours."

Wow!  I'd never heard that.  103+ miles in 25 hours?  Shit that is good.