CrazyBoards.org

Can anyone relate to this?

I tend to do several specific things over and over again, but I don't really feel like something bad will happen if I don't do them like is the case with OCD (at least I don't think I do).

One example would be dropping and adding courses so many times that I have over 30 pages of registrations on file for one semester alone, and this is something I know I probably shouldn't do, but I feel it is not easy to stop, and I continue to do it every semester. Another example would be playing the same few low levels in a computer game hundreds of times (not all at once), or starting a new game or different character constantly (I don't think I have ever finished any of the games I have played.) Sometimes I do this because I think I can do better with a new character, or because I want to explore all the different possible outcomes in the game, I think.

I also find I often can't seem to stop clicking links even if they are ones I just viewed a second ago. It's like I do a round of a few links and then start over without even realizing I am doing it, and it can be difficult to stop (like if it is time for bed). 

Does anyone else have issues with these specific kinds of situations? I don't know what to think about them.

Yes! I totally relate to your post.

During my short years in college I would add/drop so many classes that they actually locked me out of the registration website. They said, "boy, you must have added and dropped classes like 50 times" or some ridiculous number like that.

It is rough having OCD. I have this thing with numbers too. And if I don't do it "right" then I will have a ruined day.

I know it doesn't make any sense but to my brain it does.

Are you on any meds to help deal with your OCD?

Thanks for the feedback! I have been getting concerned about doing these things but never have considered I may have OCD nor have I told my doctor. I am actually going to see a new pdoc this month at the university, and am going to mention this to him. I was thinking medication for OCD might be really helpful. 

BTW, I actually remember that when I was about seven, I told my mother that I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop counting in my head, and she said, no, you just hear your heartbeat, but even then, I knew that wasn't it, it felt like I was hearing a distorted woman's voice in my head, and she kept counting up to 15 and then started over again. It was probably related to anxiety because my parents were going out for the night. I am sure there are other examples I have overlooked.

I am glad some other people can relate to this --  I am glad I am not the only one, Wonderful.Cheese! I think the people in Student Accounts think I am off my rocker, and they specifically pointed out to me several times that I was doing this (like I don't know already).

Phoenix _Rising, just to clarify, even though they are considered self-soothing behaviours, they are part of OCD for you? I am wondering because I think that is the reason I didn't mention to my doctor that I do these things, because I never considered they would be treatable.

I am not on any meds right now as I had some disturbing side effects that looked a lot like Tardive Dyskenesia was starting (which are gone now), so I will have to talk to my new pdoc about that issue.

Phoenix _Rising, just to clarify, even though they are considered self-soothing behaviours, they are part of OCD for you? I am wondering because I think that is the reason I didn't mention to my doctor that I do these things, because I never considered they would be treatable.

Yes.  I feel compelled to do these types of behaviors.  I feel like if I don't do them, something bad will happen.  Or, by doing them, I am staving off an episode.  I tend to b/c very compulsive when I think an episode is imminent and go through all kinds of rituals and repetitive behaviors.  The only med I take that I think helps is klonopin.  Working with a therapist has been an important part of treating it as well.