CrazyBoards.org

what is armour thyroid?  it sounds like potted meat (armor makes potted meat products here in the us).

or is it like thyroid in love stuff?

hate to tell you this, dude, but that ny times article was way wrong.  we don't scam drugs w/o scrips or trade meds here. 

if you're looking to score, you're in the wrong place.  bye.

Why use Armour?

As I recall since it is a whole extract, rather than synthesized, it contains both T3 and T4 hormones.  With Synthroid which provides T4, the assumption is that the body will convert suffiencient amounts to T3. Some doctors feel that it is better to use a combo.

A.M.

As I recall since it is a whole extract, rather than synthesized, it contains both T3 and T4 hormones.  With Synthroid which provides T4, the assumption is that the body will convert suffiencient amounts to T3. Some doctors feel that it is better to use a combo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I recall, there is a supplement on the market that contains both T3 and T4.

And any, any effort to self-medicate a thyroid condition sounds like a fast trip to really really bad things -- possibly permanent bad things.

If you feel your doctor is not adequately treating a thyroid issue, then get a second opinion!

Fiona

-Armour Thyroid hit search.

It isn't a controlled-scheduled med-,so it will be very easy to find,if it is still produced.

I would tend to steer clear of any product that is made from pooling animal byproducts.If you eat a steak,you are exposed to one animal(more or less).With pooled products,you might be exposed to 5000 animals.True,BSE hasn't crossed to pigs-yet-but why take the chance? Prions won't be destroyed by the processing.If you need thyroid,use synthroid.

Low doses of Synthroid-say 50 mcg-aren't particularily dangerous relative to the doses of many meds I see here-but what are you aiming for??

If you don't want to see an md,why don't you go to a self testing lab and have a thyroid profile done?This is legal,and it will give you hard data on the state of your thyroid.If your TSH is high bring the results to your md,and he will probably prescribe Synthroid(after retesting probably).

Thyroid preps are-were one of the products commonly used by MD's as "active" placebos-B12 is another.It was quackery,but it -the thyroid preps,not the B12- made the pts feel"something",and it rarely killed them(the pts).It isn't used like that very much anymore,but some older folks still remember it.It was mainly prescribed to females as a sorta "tonic".Common in the 40's-50's-60's-very uncommon now.

If you need thyroid,then it(synthroid-or the older preps) is a wonder drug.Luck.Charlie

Good comments phoebeisis.

AIRMARSHALL-it is driving me crazy;I can hear that song-the melody-in my head,but I just can't remember the product or the words!

Was it baloney-Oscar meyer boloney or hotdogs??Help.Thanks.Charlie  PS-phoebe and isis are our goofy greyhounds-easy to remember.

It isn't a controlled-scheduled med-,so it will be very easy to find,if it is still produced.

I would tend to steer clear of any product that is made from pooling animal byproducts.If you eat a steak,you are exposed to one animal(more or less).With pooled products,you might be exposed to 5000 animals.True,BSE hasn't crossed to pigs-yet-but why take the chance? Prions won't be destroyed by the processing.If you need thyroid,use synthroid.

Low doses of Synthroid-say 50 mcg-aren't particularily dangerous relative to the doses of many meds I see here-but what are you aiming for??

If you don't want to see an md,why don't you go to a self testing lab and have a thyroid profile done?This is legal,and it will give you hard data on the state of your thyroid.If your TSH is high bring the results to your md,and he will probably prescribe Synthroid(after retesting probably).

Thyroid preps are-were one of the products commonly used by MD's as "active" placebos-B12 is another.It was quackery,but it -the thyroid preps,not the B12- made the pts feel"something",and it rarely killed them(the pts).It isn't used like that very much anymore,but some older folks still remember it.It was mainly prescribed to females as a sorta "tonic".Common in the 40's-50's-60's-very uncommon now.

If you need thyroid,then it(synthroid-or the older preps) is a wonder drug.Luck.Charlie

i'm confused... do you think that armour is a placebo?  that only synthroid is a valid thyroid replacement? 

a lot of doctors use armour because their patients can not properly convert T4 into T3.  while synthroid has synthetic T3 in it, synthroid requires refrigeration.  also armour contains T4, etc which may possibly be helpful (some say, i have no opinion in this issue.)

i take armour as presribed by my doctor for a valid thyroid condition, not as a placebo , and not because it's "natural" but because he feels that it works the best.  and my doctor is not the only one who does so.  when i was first given an rx for armour i was concerned that my pharmacist would have difficulty obtaining it, and she laughed and said that it was a very popular medication, not a special order, and that it is always stocked.

there is a lot of debate over whether or not patients need T3, but there are doctors on both sides with valid arguments, and the ones prescribing armour aren't all doing it because it's a nice placebo or because it's "natural."

i don't mean to sound snippy, it's just hope that people understand that armour is a valid medication and not quackery. 

as to buying it over the internet... i'd be scared to mess with my thyroid levels without a doctor's supervision lest i push my levels too high and end up hyperthyroid.  hormone replacement is best left in the hands of professionals.

i'm confused... do you think that armour is a placebo?  that only synthroid is a valid thyroid replacement? 

I think what she's saying is basically that in less enlightened days of medical care, doctors used to give patients thyroid preparations (like Armour, but not necessarily Armour) as a placebo-that-isn't-a-placebo. 

Hypothetical example.  A patient would come in suffering from hypochondria.  The patient wouldn't take "you're healthy" for an answer, so the doctor would prescribe a low-level thyroid med.  This way, the patient would feel something change as a result of the medication, and likely assume it to be the cure of whatever they had been convinced was wrong in the first place. 

The big selling point of using a thyroid medication, or B12 vitamins (as in the other example Phoebe gave), was that the patient was highly unlikely to develop life-threatening side effects from the pills. 

If anything, her post shows that Armour wasn't a traditional do-nothing placebo because it was assumed that patients would feel some sort of effect from it, because it does indeed work.  Most posters in this thread, however, prefer Synthroid.

The closest I've come to thyroid troubles so far is daily, longterm babysitting for a mother with hypothyroidism, so I have nothing experiential to chip in.  If I'm lucky, lithium might play nice and let me stay that way.  I can hope.

I think what she's saying is basically that in less enlightened days of medical care, doctors used to give patients thyroid preparations (like Armour, but not necessarily Armour) as a placebo-that-isn't-a-placebo. 

Hypothetical example.  A patient would come in suffering from hypochondria.  The patient wouldn't take "you're healthy" for an answer, so the doctor would prescribe a low-level thyroid med.  This way, the patient would feel something change as a result of the medication, and likely assume it to be the cure of whatever they had been convinced was wrong in the first place. 

The big selling point of using a thyroid medication, or B12 vitamins (as in the other example Phoebe gave), was that the patient was highly unlikely to develop life-threatening side effects from the pills. 

If anything, her post shows that Armour wasn't a traditional do-nothing placebo because it was assumed that patients would feel some sort of effect from it, because it does indeed work.  Most posters in this thread, however, prefer Synthroid.

The closest I've come to thyroid troubles so far is daily, longterm babysitting for a mother with hypothyroidism, so I have nothing experiential to chip in.  If I'm lucky, lithium might play nice and let me stay that way.  I can hope.

ok.  i was just trying to make sure that people knew that armour is a valid medication and not just a new agey placebo thing. 

the problem with the internet is it's so easy to misunderstand the intention of what somenone says.  thank you for the clarification.

Archived