CrazyBoards.org

Anyone taking Buspar?

Hello,  I was recently prescribed Buspar for anxiety and I am wondering if it has worked for anyone.  I have tried Vistaril, which I can't take due to it totally sedating me.  I have also taken benzo's before (Xanax, Attivan, Klonopin), they seemed to help especially with panic attacks, but not much for daily anxiety (I was only given small amounts to be taken as needed).  Does anyone have any ideas on something else I can try if Buspar doesn't work for me?  I have been taking it for 2 weeks and see no change, I know it will take longer to see significant change.

That's odd odd the above poster takes it as a PRN....Buspar is for anxiety and has been found to efficacious with time, and comparative effects to benzo's; "It may take 3 to 4 weeks before you start to feel better. Initially you may begin to notice a decrease in irritability and worry. Do not stop taking this medication without talking to your healthcare provider first."

What dosage are you on out of curiosity? 

buspar did a lot for my anxiety, unfortunately the am dose made me extremely nauseous. I just couldn't tolerate it and it needed to be a twice daily med. it didn't matter whether I took it with food or not, it just made me sick. eventually I just gave up on it even though it worked for me.

I would give it more time. like crtclms said, it seems to be all or nothing.

I'm guessing the headaches are from the Wellbutrin. My pain Dr. wants me to come off the wellbutrin because I have chronic migraine, and wellbutrin is known to cause headaches. I have to wait until I find a pdoc (new city) to do that, however.

I was just prescribed Buspar, but at an extremely low dose.  My pdoc seems to think it causes extreme dizziness in all people so she wanted me to take a quarter of a 5 mg tablet once a day, and only move up to 1/2 a tablet if I felt ok.  It seems to be doing nothing (only at 1.5 weeks in), but I think that's due to the incredibly low dose.  The pharmacist even remarked about the low dosage!

• 4 months later...

Hi - A little late to the party on this thread, but I'm trying ro read everything I can on Buspar - Anyone have any updates?  Did you feel better everntually?  I'm trying to push through the "head cold" feeling hoping once I'm stabalized a bit I'll feel better.  Its only been 2 weeks for me - and I transitioned from Celexa if it matters. 

It took a while to start working and I'm really surprised at the dose I take versus everyone else.   15 mg 3x a day.   1/4 tab?   How do you even do that?   Does she have you crush the tablets or?

BearCrazy.  I went from Celexa as well.   That stuff is like the ultimate nullifer for sex drive.

Hi - thanks for that - I actually have the 5mg sized pills so I take three of them.  They make them in a few sizes so I get the smallest one.

I think I'm just anxious about switching - go figure.  I'm off the celexa completely now.   I'm looking forward to feeling "normal" again soon!  I'll give it more time.