CrazyBoards.org

Ambien poop out?

I, admittedly, made some idiotic decisions today in terms of sleep hygiene. I slept most of the day and then had a Vietnamese coffee with dinner. Caffeine is weird for me; sometimes it keeps me up, but often I feel no effect. I'm on 10 mgs. of Ambien. It used to work like a charm, and now it really doesn't- even on days that I don't consume caffeine late and haven't spent the day in bed. My previous sleeping aid was seroquel, but I don't want to go back on an AAP because I have diabetes (probably from all the aaps I took). I have an appt. with a new pdoc next week. I hope she has some ideas. Was wondering what else people have taken that has been effective for sleep and if Ambien's effectiveness often has an expiration date. Thanks.

I took ambien for years.  It worked wonderfully.  the whole time, never pooped out.   Once I was in bed and calm, I took my pill.  I have a terrible time falling asleep, have had my whole life.  Ambien nights were the first time ever I remember going to bed happy and relieved that sleep was definitely coming soon.

My IBS got worse and worse and ambien was the culprit turns out.  After a few years of figuring this out I stopped ambien cold, very reluctantly.

Now I take a sleep med PRN, as needed.  Sometimes a few days in a row, usually not so often.  I migrated to Temazepam, or Restoril.  I love it.   My pdoc started me at such a high dose the first pill kept me in bed all day, it was awful.  I take the 7.5 mg. size now and it works wonderfully.  I feel even less of a sleep hangover then I did with ambien. 

I need something for sleep 6 mights a week or else I will be awake until morning. A pharmacist once told me that it makes it less likely that a sleep med will result in tolerance if you take it 3 or fewer times per week. And I read on wikipedia that that the sleep effects of benadryl last for 3 doses. So what I do is I alternate between ambien and benadryl each night. One night a week I take nothing. Works for me

I need something for sleep 6 mights a week or else I will be awake until morning. A pharmacist once told me that it makes it less likely that a sleep med will result in tolerance if you take it 3 or fewer times per week. And I read on wikipedia that that the sleep effects of benadryl last for 3 doses. So what I do is I alternate between ambien and benadryl each night. One night a week I take nothing. Works for me

Alternating is a great idea.  Or if possible, skipping a few days.  Some people take the med every other night.

Benadryl completely and totally knocks me out.  This was my sleep med unbeknownst to me for years.  My issue with diphenhydramine is the after effect.  I feel like a woozed out old lady.