CrazyBoards.org

Can an AD start working straightaway?

I started heading into a downswing the last couple of weeks so I was prescribed paroxetine (Paxil). I took my first dose yesterday and by the evening I felt a lot better. I thought I was imagining it, but I woke up this morning and jumped straight out of bed, feeling pretty good, plenty of energy, wanting to clean up my house which has been getting in a bit of a state. I thought they were supposed to take a few weeks to work?

Luvox seemed to work immediately for me. I took it for anxiety/OCD tendencies.

It can sometimes take weeks to work if you've had nothing in your system. There is the possibility of the other meds augmenting it well. Try and keep a log and see how you feel.

SSRI's and SNRI's take longer to kick in. I believe the TCA's and Wellbutrin kick in almost immediately.

Wellbutrin started working for me almost immediately. Others have taken longer. I was in a very dark, suicidal depression when I started taking the Wellbutrin and in less than 48 hours I was floors by how different and better I felt.

Wellbutrin also worked immediately for me, which was great because I was fairly depressed when I started taking it.

Prozac also worked immediately for me.

Unfortunately both of these medications made me hypomanic after a week, which I believe is why I felt the effects right away because my mood was being sent from depressed to hypomanic and I just had a bit of normality in the middle.

Yes, that's my only worry, that it will make me hypomanic, because I really do feel pretty good, very positive and kind of excited.  But I'm still sleeping, and I'm still taking chlorpromazine which brought me down from my last manic episode, so hopefully I'll be OK. I have another appointment in ten days so I'll just monitor myself carefully till then. All I know is that I had a little reminder of what it is like to be depressed and I can't bear to feel like that again!