CrazyBoards.org

Sounds that make you panic?

There are certain sounds, or tones that make me feel panicky, I don't really have a reason why they make me feel that way but they do and often take me by surprise. 

My Gran used to hate the sound of air-raid sirens, if she'd hear one she would do quiet and look like a fox caught in the headlights. I remember being in the car and there was a recent pop song that came on the radio and during the instrumental bit there was this sound that sounded similar to the air raid siren (or possibly was purposely meant to sound like the air raid siren) and my Gran flipped in the car and collapsed in fear. It was really strange to observe and at the time I never understood it, and to that extent I don't think I ever will because I don't associate my 'scary sounds' with anything in particular. But it got me thinking about noises that make me feel uncomfortable, and even panicky.

I noticed I don't like tubas, there used to be a song that had lyrics like 'just a little more love...' and on the remix that I had on a CD there was a tuba instrumental and I could not listen to the song, the sound of it made me go cold and feel like I wanted to curl up and cry in fear. I was in a bit of a Haim mood earlier and a song of their I hadn't heard before came on 'send me down', and its the noise of something in the background that made me go cold again and want to curl up and cry, I hate it, it made me want to have a panic attack and I have no idea why, I almost dropped my laptop in fear.

I don't like the air raid noise either, but it doesn't make me feel panic... that weird one that they use to warn of radiation terrifies me though and again I have no idea why...

Does anyone else have noises that make them feel like that? 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any unexpected noise: car horn, baby scream, screech of wheels, loud engines, doorbell...I could go on, unfortunately, on what makes me jump in panic.  

I tend to panic with the sounds of a motorcycle when I drive; I can't stand driving b/c I seem to panic over everything, it seems.  

I get startled so easily...I jump at everything, especially loud noises. Those upset me sometimes.

Otherwise, worrying about my son can make me panic, like someone not being at the bus stop when he gets off the bus, for example. I'm a lot better than I used to be though. It's gotten easier as he gets older.

Wow, I am in good company here - I too hate really loud, unexpected noises.  I really hate that stupid doof doof music (i.e. any music that is played constantly with an emphasis on the bass, it goes right through me and I don't just hear it, I feel it).  I hate some high pitched sounds, like the sound of the phones at my work if someone leaves them off the hook by accident, that is sheer hell for me! I always joke and blame my "canine hearing" but I think it is nothing like that.  So, yeah, sounds can really bug me! My son (not his fault) decided he might yell in my ear one time and I really "went off".  Poor kid, but I can't stand that.  Now, don't get me started on when people touch you in certain places how that bugs me or makes me jump! :)

My ears are REALLY sensitive, so pretty much anything louder than I'm comfortable with and that's not hard to out-do by any means.

White noise

Heartbeats

The EAS system test every month. Hate that shit.

tornado sirens

Babies crying seems common, but I've read that most people experience anxiety hearing a baby cry

Anything that I can't tell if it's real or not. . . 

Yeah, I've noticed that any sudden noise will set me off, sometimes it doesn't even have to be that loud. I get the babies crying thing too, although having heard a child do that horrible scream when they have meningitis I don't think they will ever bother me as much as that shit did, I was having a gash seen to in A&E and it just echoed. It was the most awfully, terrifying sound I have ever heard and now when I hear crying I have to try and convince myself its crying and not the shrill meningitis wail. Shits me up.

I can hear my heart beat all the time, drives me crazy. I don't like white noise either...

If I can't tell if the sound is getting quiter or louder, mainly I always panic and think ambulances / police are coming closer when they are going further. I really like white noise and other people's heart beats. I feel I need to help any baby crying, especially if it goes on for a while or if it sounds like its congested and cant breathe. Sometimes I see parents too busy talking on the phone and ignoring the baby and my anxiety wants to shake the parent to attention. Even though I know that most times the baby isn't in danger.

If I can't tell if the sound is getting quiter or louder, mainly I always panic and think ambulances / police are coming closer when they are going further. I really like white noise and other people's heart beats. I feel I need to help any baby crying, especially if it goes on for a while or if it sounds like its congested and cant breathe. Sometimes I see parents too busy talking on the phone and ignoring the baby and my anxiety wants to shake the parent to attention. Even though I know that most times the baby isn't in danger.

I don't like the letting the baby cry thing either. That DOES make me anxious and I have the same reaction you do. If you're sitting RIGHT THERE and your BABY is crying, HELP HIM! But maybe people will think I'm nuts because I always immediately tended my kid when she was crying as a baby. They're helpless! HELP THEM! Grrr.

The heart beat thing I've had since I was . . . . for as long as I can remember. I remember the first instance it bothered me. I was very small and laying on my father's chest and I heard his heartbeat and then it occurred to me that he was going to die one day. After that day, I begged him to go to the doctor constantly after that, ha ha. I still don't like it when I hug him and hear that. My own doesn't bother me, but hearing other people's heart beats has always made me think of death. Or like, when they put it in movies or TV shows.  MAN, the anxiety! And that's not about death, I don't think. I just don't like it.

The Wipe Out song! My sister and I used to sleep with the radio on the oldies station when we were really little. I would hear "HAHAHAHA WIPE OUT!" and picture that guy from Tales From the Crypt (who really freaked me out) on a surf board. I'd jump up and that would wake me right up. Oddly, it really freaked my sister out too and she describes imagining a skeleton as well. It was weird when we discovered this in our teens. We're twins, but damn, that's random. Ha ha.

High pitched noises too. And really anything I can't identify. If I don't know WHAT it is or have any clue, it freaks me the fuck out.

Coughing. Chronic sounding smoker's cough. No no no. I think that's because I KNOW that could be me one day. Gross and unsettling. 

Any screaming whether it's kids joyfully playing or whatever. Can't take it. I don't know if something is wrong or not! 

Sorry, thought of way more than I did initially. This is an interesting thread! I never really put too much thought into this, actually but a lot of sounds freak me out, apparently.

List away Emperor! Its really interesting to see the similarities and spot things I forgot I hated.

Balloons are a nono too... I forgot about this because I'm not really around them any more. 

I don't like people chewing crunchy things either, it sets my teach on edge and makes me hyper ventilate. It's like its all I can hear and then I get jumpy.

yes! I hate opening those rolls of biscuits, those are an anxiety attack in a can. It's not really the sound though, it's the element of terrible surprise that I hate.

And anything really shrill, like a whistle.

Nails on a chalkboard totally. My mind shuts down and all I can think is "MAKE IT STOP!" but most people get that. I have a weird thing about my nails touching stuff, so I FEEL as though I'm running my nails on a chalkboard, I imagine that and I want to scream. Ha ha.

Startle noises are different for me than long droning noises like helicopters and air compressors and booming bass music.

Startle noises are easier for me to recover from.

Helicopters, air compressors, and booming bass music throw me into a disconnected state pretty consistently.

We live near an airfield, we frequently get the Lancaster Bomber fly over (at least once a week) it makes the house shake and the noise is terrifying. When I first heard it I was in the garden pegging out the washing and I could feel the vibrations in the grass and it just emerged from over the rooves of the houses and it was HUGE, I could see the bomb doors, the pilot... everything and it was so loud I just sank to the floor with my hands over my ears and tried not to die. I honestly thought my heart was going to explode. I swear I can sense it coming over before I even hear it. Fucking hate it.

Finger nails on paper, against rough glass, scraping stone... chalk boards... I have to keep my nails short to avoid accidentally dragging them over something.

I don't like those violin shreds they do on horror movies either, makes me want to hurl something at the tv screaming.