CrazyBoards.org

Will have to expose scars, need advice

craigo

Hey guys basically my situation is I really want to join the RAF but have quite a lot of self harm scars on my shoulders and chest due to unfortunate circumstances in my childhood. Im a bit self-conscious of what individuals might think when they see them during certain physical training exercises like swimming and was wondering what opinions you all may have.

Thanks in advance for you replies I appreciate them all

I'm learning that if I make a big deal about my scars and act self-conscious of them, then other people are more likely to notice and ask questions. 

Focus on your strengths and what you would bring to the RAF.  The people there are going to be more concerned with their own performance on the training exercises and challenges than on your appearance. 

Ask youself what is more important: Your leadership skills, hard work, kindness, and integrity or some scars from your past?

^ What lifequake said. They're from your past and nothing to be ashamed of, staring at them and worrying isn't going to make them go away. Maybe prepare an answer if someone does ask, but otherwise don't make a big deal about it and don't even bring it up if you don't want to. The people around you will be more focused on their training. You're scars don't define you.

I have a lot of scars, I pay no attention to them, they have faded substantially because I take care of them. If someone does notice I lie...I say I fell in gravel as a kid, no one has ever questioned it. 

Everyone has scars, most people don't ask and if they do, just tell them what you want to, I said I fell in gravel, you can say a window shattered on you or tell the truth, most people will say "oh wow" or "ouch" and carry on. The scars are part of you and are "battle scars" you survived and you are good now, who cares what others thing and like paper and life said, they don't define you and most people will not really notice or care.

I would say that if you are planning to the join the forces, you get some advice if you have any mental health issues in your history/current life. The armed forces are not known in the UK to be very supportive generally, someone jobs are unavailable for people with mental health issues.Here is the link to the UK health standards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sOgxtDZ83U

You may already have joined or be joining in another country, but just to make you aware, more than one episode of self harm would be an issue during recruitment.

I would say that if you are planning to the join the forces, you get some advice if you have any mental health issues in your history/current life. The armed forces are not known in the UK to be very supportive generally, someone jobs are unavailable for people with mental health issues.Here is the link to the UK health standards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sOgxtDZ83U

You may already have joined or be joining in another country, but just to make you aware, more than one episode of self harm would be an issue during recruitment.

Sorry, I didn't know that is what RAF meant. The same rules apply in the US, MI people are not elgibile to be in the military so you may want to make sure you tell them, you don't want a dishonorable discharge (or what they may call it there) here in the US a dishonorable makes it EXTREMELY difficult to ever get another job, from what I understand it makes you undesirable for employment.