CrazyBoards.org

And the merry-go-round of meds continues... now with manic spending sprees!

I my pdoc today and she said my antidepressants have been sending me careening into mania and thus why I cannot. Stop. Spending. Money.  I don't even remember spending money half the time.  My bank account is in the red ALREADY this month and I don't know how.  So she's slowly taking me off Wellbutrin, keeping me on Zoloft for my OCD, and upping my Abilify to 10mg and adding Lamictal (yay, the death rash drug, as my friend and I call it).  I'm hoping this combo will get me sorted out and stop me from these insane spending sprees and inescapable compulsion to buy things.  Has anyone else ever experienced that?  That you have to have this thing or your world will crumble?  It's irrational sure, but it doesn't feel like it in the moment.  Not until the bill comes.  This post was all over the place, I'm sorry, I'm just in a bad place right now and I feel like the worst person in the world.  Also she took me off my Klonopin which is terrifying me.  I'm just going to call my regular doctor and get them.

Edited by sixteenshells

If you disagree with your pdoc's decision to take you off klonopin, I really don't think that going behind their back to get it from your gdoc is going to make things better.  In my experience, it's a very very bad sign to start making decisions like that.  It's akin to doctor shopping, thinking you know better than they do.  You don't, that's why you/yourinsurance/whoever is paying them to help you get better.  Talk to your pdoc.

If you disagree with your pdoc's decision to take you off klonopin, I really don't think that going behind their back to get it from your gdoc is going to make things better.  In my experience, it's a very very bad sign to start making decisions like that.  It's akin to doctor shopping, thinking you know better than they do.  You don't, that's why you/yourinsurance/whoever is paying them to help you get better.  Talk to your pdoc.

This is still bothering me.  You're implying that I don't know anything at all about what I may or may not need, and that the doctor knows all, which is absurd.  How exactly is Abilify or Lamictal going to help me stave off panic attacks?  My guess is she doesn't like to prescribe benzos, and well, that's her prejudice and not my problem.  Klonopin has been working for me for over a year, and my GP has always been the one to prescribe it.  Without it I'm not functional, so yeah, I'm going to ask my doctor to refill it for me.

I was unaware that your GP was the person who prescribed the klonopin in the first place and not your psychiatrist.  I stand by my statement that asking one doctor for a medication that another doctor has told you to stop taking is a bad sign.  Especially if you're not planning on telling your general practitioner that your psychiatrist wanted you to stop taking Klonopin; it very much seems akin to doctor shopping, you're just picking and choosing which parts of things you want to communicate and since you have already admitted you're manic and your judgment is probably impaired...  think about it.

I was unaware that your GP was the person who prescribed the klonopin in the first place and not your psychiatrist.  I stand by my statement that asking one doctor for a medication that another doctor has told you to stop taking is a bad sign.  Especially if you're not planning on telling your general practitioner that your psychiatrist wanted you to stop taking Klonopin; it very much seems akin to doctor shopping, you're just picking and choosing which parts of things you want to communicate and since you have already admitted you're manic and your judgment is probably impaired...  think about it.

Now I'm being untruthful because I'm crazy.  No.  Just no.  If this were about using my life savings on a trip to Argentina or something, sure.  But this is actually about a med that I need to stave off panic attacks and anxiety so bad that I can't leave the house.  I'm also tired of talking about the very last sentence of my post and not the rest of it, so if you have nothing productive to add, cool it.  I seriously don't need the aggravation right now.

When I'm hypomanic, I spend like crazy. During my last hypomanic episode, I spent about $400 on a new wardrobe. I generally have a spending problem though, I think it's related to my ADHD (impulsivity). But with my impulsive spending, it's little things here and there. With my hypomanic spending, I seem to make big purchases, such as the new wardrobe.

I would recommend putting some kind of safety measure in place, like giving someone your debit card or arranging a spending limit with your bank. If you have credit cards, try freezing them in a block of ice. 

Also, the Abilify increase may help with your anxiety. I find my anxiety is almost non-existent on Abilify. Since tapering down to 20 mg from 30 mg, I've had increased anxiety, but it's nothing major. I took Lamictal during my last hypomanic episode, I found it actually made me happier, though it did stop the hypomania in about three days. So, hopefully it works for you! Be sure to update!

Edited by Parapluie

Have you ever tried Luvox for OCD? For the folks in my family, it worked so much better and Zoloft. I was amazed. It didn't even make me manic like the other SSRIs. Luvox is different somehow. I'm not sure how but I'm grateful for the difference.

About the benzos. You should at least tell your pdoc that you're taking them. If pdoc prescribes you something that doesn't work well with benzos then you might very well have an interaction that could have been avoided.

Oh, and about all the stuff you've bought. Most places will let you return within a couple of weeks. I used to do that all the time. Go out and blow a wad of money on clothes. Take them all home. Hang them up. Then, I'd pick the one or two that I really liked and all the others went back into the bag to be returned. 

I get why you are making the judgment call about the klonopin. Is it possible that the pdoc wants to see this med change happen without the klonopin being a factor, I know my pdoc likes to minimize having a lot of med effects in terms of sedation going on when he is trying to medicate my mood. Sometimes the anxiety I have is tied into a mood episode, if we can get a clear idea on whether a med stabilizes my mood without a benzo type med, we can then adjust or leave the benzo. I spose it's like retrying a recipe and changing several spices etc; makes it harder to tell what is having the effect,

I just wanted to raise the idea that the klonopin thing might not be because your pdoc thinks you don't need it. It's possible that she knows that you do, just that the hope is that the med will change that need and it's harder to tell with the klonopin in the mix.

When I'm hypomanic, I spend like crazy. During my last hypomanic episode, I spent about $400 on a new wardrobe. I generally have a spending problem though, I think it's related to my ADHD (impulsivity). But with my impulsive spending, it's little things here and there. With my hypomanic spending, I seem to make big purchases, such as the new wardrobe.

I would recommend putting some kind of safety measure in place, like giving someone your debit card or arranging a spending limit with your bank. If you have credit cards, try freezing them in a block of ice. 

Also, the Abilify increase may help with your anxiety. I find my anxiety is almost non-existent on Abilify. Since tapering down to 20 mg from 30 mg, I've had increased anxiety, but it's nothing major. I took Lamictal during my last hypomanic episode, I found it actually made me happier, though it did stop the hypomania in about three days. So, hopefully it works for you! Be sure to update!

Yeah, I can't stop with the clothes and makeup.  I feel like if I don't have it the world will just crumble.  Such a stupid thing but it won't stop.

I hope the Abilify helps.  It hasn't yet, not with the anxiety, but it's been really helpful for a lot of other things, so maybe my moods have just gone off the rails and once that's better everything else will fall into place.  Thanks for the advice and concern :)

Have you ever tried Luvox for OCD? For the folks in my family, it worked so much better and Zoloft. I was amazed. It didn't even make me manic like the other SSRIs. Luvox is different somehow. I'm not sure how but I'm grateful for the difference.

About the benzos. You should at least tell your pdoc that you're taking them. If pdoc prescribes you something that doesn't work well with benzos then you might very well have an interaction that could have been avoided.

Oh, and about all the stuff you've bought. Most places will let you return within a couple of weeks. I used to do that all the time. Go out and blow a wad of money on clothes. Take them all home. Hang them up. Then, I'd pick the one or two that I really liked and all the others went back into the bag to be returned. 

Haven't tried Luvox, but I can mention it next time I see my pdoc.  I'm kind of surprised she didn't address it at all this time.

Good point about the benzos.  At the very least I'll do research and make sure nothing is going to potentially interact.  My goal is feeling better, no matter what I'm taking to make it happen.  If she finds a med combo that works without benzos, god love her, so to speak.  I'm just disturbed by having the rug pulled out from under me.

Ohhh yes, I know about the returning, haha.  I do that a lot.  I bought a pair of paints for my job which now does not exist, so those can go back for sure, and pretty much everything else.

I get why you are making the judgment call about the klonopin. Is it possible that the pdoc wants to see this med change happen without the klonopin being a factor, I know my pdoc likes to minimize having a lot of med effects in terms of sedation going on when he is trying to medicate my mood. Sometimes the anxiety I have is tied into a mood episode, if we can get a clear idea on whether a med stabilizes my mood without a benzo type med, we can then adjust or leave the benzo. I spose it's like retrying a recipe and changing several spices etc; makes it harder to tell what is having the effect,

I just wanted to raise the idea that the klonopin thing might not be because your pdoc thinks you don't need it. It's possible that she knows that you do, just that the hope is that the med will change that need and it's harder to tell with the klonopin in the mix.

This is possible.  I get the feeling she thinks benzos are kind of a band-aid and not a long-term solution, which is fair, but so far they're all that has worked for me and my anxiety is crippling enough that until/unless we find something else that works, I need them.  I was fresh out of the appointment when I wrote this post so I was very upset and not thinking very clearly.  I know she's not trying to mess me up or anything, it's just that it doesn't seem right to just stop a med dead, especially once I've been taking for over a year.  Thanks for the perspective.

Also she took me off my Klonopin which is terrifying me

Is your pdoc weaning you off the klonopin or did she just tell you to stop taking it?

No weaning, just dead stop, which seems wrong.  I've been so anxious it's been exacerbating my depression and just crippling me. 

Also she took me off my Klonopin which is terrifying me

Is your pdoc weaning you off the klonopin or did she just tell you to stop taking it?

No weaning, just dead stop, which seems wrong.  I've been so anxious it's been exacerbating my depression and just crippling me. 

IMO you should be weaned ... going off klonopin cold turkey isn't a good idea. 

When I was going down to a lower dose, it took me a long time to get down to 1 mg from 2-3/day.  Like decreasing by 0.25 mg every week or 2, then another 0.25, etc.  Even that though might be too quickly for some people, IMO.

Can you ask to be weaned?  It might make you less anxious.