CrazyBoards.org

Ever look at anyone and suddenly want to cry?

Yes.  Before I was diagnosed, I was in a mall and there was a small group of children playing their violins.  I have no idea why, but one of those little girls just made me want to cry.  I left the place all teary-eyed and upset.

To me, this is a symptom of depression.  You may want to talk to your psychiatrist about your antidepressant.  It doesn't seem like it's working well.

olga

In high school, I went to a McDonald's and I guess I was probably really depressed or something. I saw a little boy and he was very happy and all I could think of was what a terrible place he's growing up in. The kind of person he could become, all the pain he might experience, everything.

I cried right there and didn't stop until I went to sleep at home hours later.

So yeah, that's happened to me. I'll actually never forget that day.

i do this a lot.  there's no pattern to it either.  just something about someone else's joy, or pain, or anything at all makes me sob uncontrollably.  sometimes i can't look at people at all.  at least i'm crying about someone else's imaginary *whatever* and not about myself i guess.

i do this a lot. there's no pattern to it either. just something about someone else's joy, or pain, or anything at all makes me sob uncontrollably. sometimes i can't look at people at all..

Yeah, that. I am more likely to cry about it at home but I do tear up occasionally while out.

i do this a lot.  there's no pattern to it either.  just something about someone else's joy, or pain, or anything at all makes me sob uncontrollably.  sometimes i can't look at people at all.  at least i'm crying about someone else's imaginary *whatever* and not about myself i guess.

I do that too. I do that A LOT actually. Enough that I think empathy is actually a curse, honestly.

I do this too ... sometimes I'll look at anyone, like a kid usually, who is doing (anything), and tear up.  I think it is because I am so glad to see them happy (or at least appear to be) and enjoying life, as opposed to my own life.  Not that I don't like life, just I wish it could be more of the norm.  Also reminds me of childhood when things were more simple.

I do that too. I do that A LOT actually. Enough that I think empathy is actually a curse, honestly.

ugggghhh yes!!!!  lately i wish i had no feelings for anyone else ever, because my brain does not understand PROPORTIONATE empathy.  not for humans nor four-legged creatures (nor fish nor fowl).  no wonder i can't leave the fucking house most of the time.

This sounds misanthropic, but I will cry very easily at the thought of an animal being hurt. I can't stand watching shows where there are prey and victim. I know it happens, I know it has to happen, but I don't want to know about it personally.

I cried when I found out a French Bulldog (my dog's breed) drowned on the Titanic. It is making me uncomfortable to think about it right now. And I can't stop thinking about this documentary I saw YEARS ago about how they domesticate elephants, and they start by separating the babies from their mothers. The babies scream and cry for weeks, it is horrifying, I cannot believe people can listen to that, and still do it over and over again.

I know that I should be more sad about people, but I just feel like WE are doing it to those animals, and they don't understand why, or what is going on. Okay, I've worked myself up, I'm stopping.

I think I understand too, crtclms. I was watching a documentary and the presenter was talking about the naturalist Alfred Russell Wallace, who adopted a baby orangutan. He had him for three months, after shooting the mother for a collection, and became quite attached and tried to care for it and really saw how strikingly similar he was to a human baby. The little orangutan eventually died. This happened in the 19th century and I still can't help but feel so sad for both of them.

I also cry when someone does something kind. Not necessarily for me, either.

I'm sure it's depression. These are things that would make me smile or turn down the corners of my mouth and say, "aww". Now, it's like I'm so raw and so sensitive that even smaller things spill out into tears.

When I am depressed, I seem to be really emotional when I see other people laughing, playing, joking around with friends, hugging, etc.  It's kind of a bittersweet longing for that in my own life and a respect for their pure joy.

On the flipside, when I am finally out of a depressive episode, I really feel for people who look like they are hurting, sad, or suffering.  I ususally end up silently wishing good things for them in my head or wanting to reach out to them.

Yes. Before I was diagnosed, I was in a mall and there was a small group of children playing their violins. I have no idea why, but one of those little girls just made me want to cry. I left the place all teary-eyed and upset.

To me, this is a symptom of depression. You may want to talk to your psychiatrist about your antidepressant. It doesn't seem like it's working well.

olga

Yeah, she just upped my dose by 5 mg. I check back in with her in 3 weeks. ;-;

I think I understand too, crtclms. I was watching a documentary and the presenter was talking about the naturalist Alfred Russell Wallace, who adopted a baby orangutan. He had him for three months, after shooting the mother for a collection, and became quite attached and tried to care for it and really saw how strikingly similar he was to a human baby. The little orangutan eventually died. This happened in the 19th century and I still can't help but feel so sad for both of them.

I also cry when someone does something kind. Not necessarily for me, either.

I'm sure it's depression. These are things that would make me smile or turn down the corners of my mouth and say, "aww". Now, it's like I'm so raw and so sensitive that even smaller things spill out into tears.

When someone says something kind to me, I dismiss it a bit. I mean, I say thanks and what not but its just hard to believe because you're so depressed.

When depressed there are certain people and animals that can send me into a fit of tears:

1. Babies and small children

There's a combination of things about them that sets me off. Their innocence and true happiness, seeing them feeling amazement or wonderment at things that aren't giving me any feelings at all, and knowing that seeing babies should be making me happy (should as in I Am Usually Happy When I See Babies, not that everyone is happy when they see babies).

2. Puppies

Just seeing a puppy sends me into a fit of tears. And it's all because they aren't giving me the feelings of joy that they usually do, and so I'm even more aware of just how not-right my mood is in that moment.

3. Intuitive People

Those with good intuition, the people who can just sort of look at me and somehow, without me saying a word, just know that I am not alright... those people I end up breaking down in front of often before they even open their mouths. My family doctor and my building's handyman are the two this occurs with most lately, along with one tenant who every time he sees me asks what's wrong and if I'm alright - I seem to be fully capable of putting on an A-Grade act with everyone else, I can say I'm fine and they believe me or at least pretend to, but these people no matter how hard I try to say I'm fine or hide how I'm feeling, they take one look at me and know I'm not. And the minute they throw that knowing look in my direction or begin to open their mouths I lose my ability to pretend I'm okay.

3. Intuitive People

Those with good intuition, the people who can just sort of look at me and somehow, without me saying a word, just know that I am not alright... those people I end up breaking down in front of often before they even open their mouths. My family doctor and my building's handyman are the two this occurs with most lately, along with one tenant who every time he sees me asks what's wrong and if I'm alright - I seem to be fully capable of putting on an A-Grade act with everyone else, I can say I'm fine and they believe me or at least pretend to, but these people no matter how hard I try to say I'm fine or hide how I'm feeling, they take one look at me and know I'm not. And the minute they throw that knowing look in my direction or begin to open their mouths I lose my ability to pretend I'm okay.

^THIS.  I hadn't thought of this until now.  I can relate.