CrazyBoards.org

Anyone else here take vistaril for anxiety? I used to take buspar but that didn't work so now I'm on vistaril. All it seems to be doing is making me tired, like benadryl does. I can expect that since they are both antihistamines. But, does vistaril actually work for anyone here? I think the reason why it isn't working for me is because most of my anxiety comes from my concerta speeding up my heart rate, and vistaril doesn't slow it down. I used to have klonopin for that, but my doctor took me off of it since it was addictive.

I've taken vistaril before and I did feel like it helped with my anxiety.  I was put on it during an IP stint by a pdoc that wasn't my regular pdoc.  I was also taking xanax. I stayed on it for a few months, but was taken off during another IP stint at a different hospital and put on klonopin.  I feel the klonopin does a better job of controlling my anxiety as it is longer acting and, overall, a better fit for me.

I've taken buspar, it seemed to work for awhile but eventually it was like...nothing. Vistaril was rx'd to me for migraines (combined with phenergen), it works well in that sense. For anxiety? I don't know. Once it helped me immensely. I was REALLY upset in the hospital and it calmed my ass right down. Otherwise? Eh....

• 5 months later...

Buspar gave me the worst aide effects that I have ever experienced and that was at the starting dose. My pdoc was reluctant to prescribe me vistaril, thinking it wouldn't have any effect. Mostly it made me very tired once I reached 100mg but not before. It was enough to take edge off if my anxiety was not too bad. So to me it was worth taking. The problem was it made me so tires I couldn't even drive without worrying that I would fall asleep. So that was a no can do when I had to deive everyday to get to work and class.