CrazyBoards.org

What are the little things that keep you going?

What are the little things that keep you going when you are feeling super depressed?  What sensations, sights, and activities help you, if only for a moment?

What inspires you to keep fighting in spite of the pain?

I'm struggling to hold on to hope right now and am curious what helps you all when you are really hurting. 

Anything you are willing to share is appreciated.

*edit: spelling

Edited by lifequake

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burying my head in my kitty and listening to her purr.

Sitting outside on my deck with a cup of tea and a book and the sun.

The smell of boxwood bushes.

Swimming

A forest of trees

The sound of birds singing

the sound of my daughter laughing

the sound of my hubby laughing

cooking a baked chicken with roasted onions, potatoes and carrots.

going outside

putting my face in the sun

reading

drawing

painting

making a list

calling a good friend

laughing at myself

laughing at anything

reading gossip websites

making a cup of tea

sweeping the kitchen floor

making my bed

taking a shower

putting all my clean clothes away

rearranging a room in the house

just letting myself be depressed and make that ok and getting into bed and reading a book

edit:

looking at the moon

looking at the stars

saying goodnight to my girl

going on crazyboards 

listening to music

Edited by water

I'm sorry you're doing so bad lifequake, you are a lovely, intelligent and very caring person. I feel very glad to have met you here, honest. 

-My cats. It's hard to think about killing yourself when a chubby black cat plants himself on your chest and purrs really loudly and touches his paws to my face. I like to think he's saying 'Hey, I'm here, don't leave me cause I love you'. Or I'm just crazier than first thought. I think it was you that mentioned having a dog, I think that would be amazing for you.

- This sounds lame, but nature sometimes. I hate the sun, so preferably at night time. There is so much out there that you haven't even seen and it's really close by.

- I try and put positive goals in place, think of all the people I haven't met yet, the places I haven't seen and the experiences I haven't had.

-When things are really bad, make tiny things to look forward to. I know it feels like nothing is worthwhile, but pick something you used to like. Plan to go see a movie with someone, or meet someone for even half an hour to have coffee.

-Know that there is so much to you that you haven't discovered. You are incredible and there is no limit to what you could accomplish or who you could become.

Going to the computer to find email., going on CB and other sites.

Walking in the morning.

Music.

The people I care about in my life who surprise me with things (NOT surprise parties, just little things).

I'm sure there are other things but I cant think of them at the moment.

"I'm sorry you're doing so bad lifequake, you are a lovely, intelligent and very caring person. I feel very glad to have met you here, honest."

^^ this is exactly how I feel about you too lifequake.

I'm very sorry to hear you are feeling depressed. You don't deserve that. Can you call your pdoc and tdoc to get some extra support?

What keeps me going is family. I have no friends so I have to rely on my family.

Also doing things that make me feel confident helps. For me this includes things like exercising. Or doing crafts. Especially working with yarn.

And realizing that if I need to self soothe then that is ok.

Also coping skills like deep breathing or guided imagery help me a lot. I haven't done them in a while but when I was doing them regularly they really helped me out.

Take care.

I agree with LABOO, you're a great person and I'm glad to have you around here

Nature, hiking, biking, spending time outside in the woods basically keeps me going.  Connecting with and spending time in nature is a spiritual thing for me and keeps me going.

making art, hoping to develop as an artist, etc.  I guess it is helpful to have a goal like that... for me it is to develop as an artist.

for me my girlfriend, family and dog also help.  Like others I don't really have friends, so I rely on my family a lot.  

Whenever I have the money, I like to make travel plans.  Little weekend trips... I look forward to those a lot.  It is important for me to see the world and explore.

Crazyboards... I check in here daily.  I deactivated my facebook and don't use twitter or myspace, so crazyboards is my only sort of an online social outlet other than e-mail.

Coffee!!!  

Edited by koakua

I want to add my voice to the chorus of "My kitties!" 

My kitty cats always keep me going when I'm depressed. Their softness, their warmth, their purring. It's so nice to have someone around who loves you (almost) unconditionally. I say "almost" cause, well, cats can be assholes sometimes. ;) But even their asshole behavior can be very endearing and funny. 

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way right now. But I am glad that you are looking for ideas to boost your mood. That's something to be proud of yourself for, not everyone can be that proactive when on a downward spiral into depression.

The things that can lift my mood, even if only for a little while are as follows:

-Being outside, seeing the natural beauty of the world we live in.

-Spending time with people (or animals!) that I care about.

-Reading a book.

-Planning a trip or event (even if it is just a day trip to the next town over) Basically something for me to look foward to.

-Trying new recipes or baking my favorite dishes.

A lot of people have posted a lot of really good ideas, I hope you find something that works for you. I wish you the best.

I am sorry life, it will get better, and I hope you can feel better soon.

Here are the things that help me

My daughter and her sense of humor and love, she is always telling me how lucky I am to have a daughter that is so wonderful. LOL!

My boyfriend and his stubborness, he won't let me get too low, if he has to he will do whatever it takes to get a smile from me

I wrap my self in a super soft blanket and I pet it

I will make something pretty like arts and crafts

Force myself to exercise, endorphins really do work

It's keeping away from depression, rather than keeping going through it at present.

Sunday, lying on the bed, not able to move (physical more than mental problems head my list of issues, currently)

I heard two kids squeal approval of the little toy train I have running in my kitchen window.

I can't change it as often as I used to, but it's good to know that even on a tiny scale I can still put smiles on other people's faces.

That's what my guru (near as I've ever had to one.) thought it was all about.

Chris.

My dog, my husband, my best friend, packages in the mail (they don't have to be exciting; I just got two pop-up hampers, whoo-hoo!), music, knitting, politics (I'm a dirty, dirty hippie). 

I love to plan trips, too, Owldello, but these days I can't travel because of chronic migraine. I plan some trips anyway.

My dog, my husband, my best friend, packages in the mail (they don't have to be exciting; I just got two pop-up hampers, whoo-hoo!), music, knitting, politics (I'm a dirty, dirty hippie). 

I love to plan trips, too, Owldello, but these days I can't travel because of chronic migraine. I plan some trips anyway.

Pop up hampers are great!

It sometimes helps me to get outdoors.  Even if it's just a 15-minute walk, a little fresh air and sun are good for my mood.  I also laugh at my animals---just watching my little dog romp across the yard with his tail curled up and his ears flapping---well, it always makes me smile.

olga

My fiance. I don't know what I'd do with myself if I didn't have her.

Smaller things...going out for a drive, there are some nice back roads around here. Going to baseball games. Getting lost in the city for an afternoon. Assuming of course I can summon the energy to do these things. But if I can, they're worth it.

Edited by blackaltis07