CrazyBoards.org

For context about what I have been going through, and for how long, please see my recent post http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/66238-things-i-am-ashamed-of/

After many years, I talked to an old friend I was out of touch with and told him what I was going through. He was very supportive, and we talked about many things. One of the things he said was He offered to score drugs for me. I am middle aged and have never been interested in illicit drug experiences, and have actually always been afraid of the consequences. I don't even drink alcohol, although I did in college. He suggested exstacy and acid. Not as a way to get me into the drug lifestyle, but he sees me suffering and he wants me to get better and if I can't get an actual recovery then he wants me to at least have a positive experience in life and get a break from feeling horrible all the time. I find myself open to the idea, although I am afraid.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Oh hive mind, what do you think?

Ecstasy fries your serotonin synapses. It induces pleasure sensations which of course make you want more. Then you need more to feel the same level of pleasure. Then, unfortunately, it's short-term pleasure comes at the long-term loss of the ability to feel pleasure. Ironic. If there was a healthy way to use it to treat depression, then it would be an approved treatment. My advice is don't go there.

Acid induces psychosis and what flavor, good or bad, is hit or miss. If you have schiz, your brain can already go there all by itself. Why fry the brain cells that still function? Acid kills brain cells.

I think your friend may be well intentioned, but his suggestions are toxic.

ETA: I deal with anhendonia and motivation issues, too. I totally get wanting something to work.

I also see that I misread your dx. Schiz is old. MDD is current. I assume that's MDD with psychosis, so more or less what I said above are still my thoughts. Bad acid trips can include life long flashbacks, too. I've seen bad trips. They seem horrible. My psychotic experiences were bad enough. You couldn't pay me to take the stuff.

Edited by AnneMarie

If illicit drugs were effective in treating depression, then everybody would be taking them and doctors would not be advising against using them. 

I understand wanting a break from the depression, but illicit drugs are bound to cause more trouble than relief.  To me, the risk outweighs the potential benefit, which is likely to be temporary and fleeting.

I would listen to the part of you that is apprehensive and fearful of trying ecstasy or acid.

Not as a way of getting you into a drug lifestyle???  He's trying to get you hooked as much as he is.  Sorry, I don't see his offer as sympathy for a friend.  How many folks do you know that use drugs as powerful as these for Just.One.Time?

A terrible idea. It's a myth that acid kills brain cells or causes schizophrenia, but if you take it while depressed you'll have a wretched time. It also has a fairly long half-life, so you can be imprisoned in a nightmare world for hours and hours. There's a possibility it can cause or exacerbate psychosis if you are already susceptible. I don't know much about ecstasy but I suspect it would be similarly unwise.

Another issue is that while nobody has died from either LSD or MDMA, because they are illegal you have no idea where they are produced and there's no assurance that they're not contaminated with or substituted for more harmful compounds. You need to be careful with your brain, even if it isn't working perfectly right now.

If you're feeling bad enough to consider illegal drugs as a viable alternative, then maybe it's time to see the Pdoc for a reeval?

Obviously something is terribly wrong if you're willing to induce a psychotic experience in order to try to feel something...

Maybe at this point you might need inpatient? Seriously, street drugs are a huge red flag that you need more help than you're getting.... {{Sorry if I sound grumpy--I'm not, just trying to be brief :)}}

• 3 weeks later...

I think you definitely should not do this. Our brains are broken anyway. I had a couple bad experiences with head meds and alcohol (learned the hard way) so I don't drink at all anymore. I'll stick with just my prescribed meds and follow dr's instructions.

I think you definitely should not do this. Our brains are broken anyway. I had a couple bad experiences with head meds and alcohol (learned the hard way) so I don't drink at all anymore. I'll stick with just my prescribed meds and follow dr's instructions.

our brains aren't broken, they just have a few screws loose

I  have a lot of experience with drugs.

I think your friend is a bit of an idiot for suggesting those 2 drugs in particular, they are the ones that affect your brain the most. if you want to try drugs try:

Oxycontin

Cocaine

Meth

Valium

MDMA (not Ecstacy which could be anything) and only once.

Do not try: LSD, Heroin, Nicotine(if smoking  runs in  either side of your family).

The drugs I listed for you to try have low damage especially with one time use you would fully recovery.

Edited by ScrambleHead