CrazyBoards.org

Mania vs. Anxiety

I think I may be headed into mania but I am not entirely certain. My anxiety level has been pretty high the past week and I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping, despite the Trazodone. I have only slept 3 hours in the past 2 days. I have nighttime anxiety due to PTSD and I wonder if it's just worse right now bc I'm more anxious in general. However, we did increase my Zoloft recently, so it could be mania. I find myself taking my Klonopin more than usually to take the edge off.

I don't feel very tired despite the lack of sleep and have been getting a lot amount of stuff done. And adding more to my plate.

I feel antsy and restless. But also stressed out. I want to spend, but am broke. Definitely feeling more social and chatty. But didn't like being around a group of people on Friday (was at an AA mtg) and left right after instead of staying to socialize.

I tried to get an appt with my pdoc for Wednesday but she's out of town. I left her a vm to see what we can work out over the phone. It's hard for me to get up to see her (nope on a car) so we do a lot of our stuff on the phone. Hopefully she can call back soon. I might email my tdoc, too, and see what she thinks.

I know you guys can't diagnose but was curious as to if anyone has experienced this mix of feelings. A quick reread of what I just wrote makes me think mania, actually. I'm concerned that not sleeping is going to trigger mania. Thoughts?

:wall:

Just going on your post (obviously), you are coming across as anxious and speedy.  And the sleep issue is a big red flag.  My pdoc always uses my sleep patterns as an indicator of where I'm at, and for me, less sleep = a steady slide to mania unless it's caught early enough.  I hope you a get a call back soon.

Trazodone alone does not make me sleep either. I think if you get something else to help you sleep you can stop yourself from becoming manic. I take a small dose (200mg) of seroquel to sleep as well as 1mg of klonopin. It still takes me hours to fall asleep and I wake up consistently during the night.

I'm concerned that not sleeping is going to trigger mania.

Not sleeping for me will trigger mania and increased hallucinations.  Stress for me will increase hallucinations also.  It gets anxiety-provoking when I hallucinate because I know it is happening and I just want it to stop and not get worse, but I am afraid it won't (or will take a long time to do so).  So I try really hard to get enough sleep, rest, and have a low stress life. 

I hope you get a call back from your pdoc so if this is something like mania starting you can get a handle on it before it gets out of hand.

I have also experienced (hypo)mania manifesting with severe anxiety as well. I was sleeping very little, I was talking very fast, starting projects. racing thoughts and running around all over the place. So, it was typical hypomanic behaviour for me. Only thing is, I was having extreme anxiety too. Like, butterflies in my stomach, feeling like I'm gonna puke, and my head was spinning-type anxiety. It was awful. I felt like I was going to explode at any moment. 

I agree, leave another message with your pdoc and contact your tdoc. You wanna stop this, whatever it is, ASAP. The lack of sleep could easily trigger mania. 

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm going to call again today for sure. I drifted off for 2 hours, thankfully. Vision had started getting blurry after 6am. I might take a little extra Trazodone tonight and see if that helps. I'm guessing my pdoc will want us to increase my Trileptal. I was on a higher dose previously but we reduced the last time we did a med tweak when I was feeling depressed. I respond really well to Trileptal so i am optimistic.

Thanks, thankfully I haven't had urges in a long time but I cherish my recovery and know what to do if they arise. I've been going to mtgs several days a week. 6:45am most days! I'll have 4 years of sobriety in December, pretty pumped. If you ever wanna talk about recovery, I'm here! : )

I feel like we're (pdoc & I) always a step behind my moods. It's frustrating. Hopefully increasing the trileptal will get this under control b/c I really don't wanna go into full blown mania. Feel crazy enough as it is right now. And lonely. My bf left for NY this am & will be gone for 5 days. I don't like being by myself when I am like this.