CrazyBoards.org

Ultram (tramadol) and systemic pain

MrTastybutt

I got back from the pain clinic a couple of hours ago and they said there wasn't much they could do for me.  I have two (cardiac) stents, ckd, I'm on blood thinners, diabetes, and I have (almost) lupus.  I'm missing a couple of the signs or complications of lupus but I do test positive for anti-dsDNA and anti-RO so it's just a matter of time I guess.  It's the best explanation I've received.

They did take over my Utram (tramadol) prescription and kept it at 50 MG 2 times daily.  It helps but it doesn't take care of all the pain.  Which I suppose is good I guess.  I've been on this dosage since April or May.  I was hoping to get on one of the TCA meds but it was a no go because of the heart.  They don't do Plaquenil for pain, they referred me to a rheumatologist but I can't see another one on my insurance.

Is there anything they can do for my systemic pain other than Tramadol?  Baclofen (?) is out because of my heart.  Or kidneys.  I don't know which.  Flexeril does nothing for my joint pain.  (It's great for my back though, go figure!)

I have SLE and Rheumatoid arthritis and send you my very best wishes for any other diagnosis.

It is wonderful that Tramadol works well for your chronic pain. It did less than peppermint Pez for me. I adore the docs and technicians/therapists at my "pain clinic". I am filled with anticipation for the day that my white blood cell count and platelets are "normal" and I can return for more than pill/injection therapy.

I take Plaquenil 200 mg to assist with the horrific symptoms of Sjogren's syndrome. It does partially relieve the dry eye part of the syndrome, but does little for the dry mouth, et al. I truly cannot report that it does much for joint pain, but as an DMARD, methotrexate does help relief joint pain as well as helps prevents loss of joint integrity.

I also take a biological agent, Enbrel, which target tumour necrosis factor and adds a further protection to joints. I am currently under treatment for another autoimmune dis-ease and may be switching to an interleukin 1 (IL-1) receptor, the IL-6 receptor, B lymphocytes and T-cell costimulation in the next month or so: time will tell.

I am scheduled for the insertion of an intrathecal drug delivery implantation as soon as I can be cleared for surgery. My current pain med regime is mostly either IM or IV: not my favourite source, nor anyone else's I dare say.

Good luck, best wishes, and be well.

Thanks for the reply.  At this point I'm just glad to have any information other than "well you're crazy that's why you hurt."  My mom had RA and my grandmother died from complications of lupus.  They only ever tested me for RA factor but I don't test positive for that.  I also have crepitus in my joints?  So my joints are creepers.  lol

Maybe I can wait or see about going out-of-network for another rheumatologist.

Crepitus, in RA,  may be caused by rough joint structures rubbing together because of deterioration. Or, early on in joint disease, either RA or OA, it may be caused by inflammation of a tendon or tendon sheath.

Crepitus may also be simply a sign of an aging body. The sound and the situation are not necessarily demonstrative of a negative physical condition.

http://www.arthritis-health.com/types/general/what-crepitus

Edited by Indigo 'n dye

• 4 weeks later...

They did take over my Utram (tramadol) prescription and kept it at 50 MG 2 times daily.  It helps but it doesn't take care of all the pain.  Which I suppose is good I guess.  I've been on this dosage since April or May.  I was hoping to get on one of the TCA meds but it was a no go because of the heart.  They don't do Plaquenil for pain, they referred me to a rheumatologist but I can't see another one on my insurance.

Is there anything they can do for my systemic pain other than Tramadol?  Baclofen (?) is out because of my heart.  Or kidneys.  I don't know which.  Flexeril does nothing for my joint pain.  (It's great for my back though, go figure!)

Can they not just increase the tramadol? before I switched to codeine my prescription was for 2 tramadol up to 3 times a day (i.e. max 300mg a day), 100mg doesn't seem like a lot.    

Can they not just increase the tramadol? before I switched to codeine my prescription was for 2 tramadol up to 3 times a day (i.e. max 300mg a day), 100mg doesn't seem like a lot.    

To be honest, I'm scared to ask them to up it.  At least until it becomes unbearable.  Tramadol is treated the same as hydrocodone (?) around here.  I was on the same schedule of 1 to 2 every six hours at first from my GP and that was good for me but the second time I asked for a prescription they put me on it twice daily.  I guess that I should feel lucky that it takes care of some of my pain.  I don't want to lose the prescription that I have for it now.  

To be honest, I'm scared to ask them to up it.  At least until it becomes unbearable.  Tramadol is treated the same as hydrocodone (?) around here.  I was on the same schedule of 1 to 2 every six hours at first from my GP and that was good for me but the second time I asked for a prescription they put me on it twice daily.  I guess that I should feel lucky that it takes care of some of my pain.  I don't want to lose the prescription that I have for it now.  

Fair enough I don't know how your Dr would respond to a request for more...although asking for 3x per day instead of 2 would not seem unreasonable to me.  

I don't quiet get tramadol really.  Over here it seems to be given a lot by GPs for moderate pain. Mostly it seems to be considered as having low potential for addiction/abuse.....they seem to treat it similarly or even less restrictively than codeine which is the other medication commonly used in primary care for chronic pain. However when I was on it I found even 50mg to be quite potent, for me it has a definite mild-moderate euphoria, way more so than codeine, made me very talkative and socially outgoing (I have social anxiety disorder) as well as killing my pain stone cold dead.  

Yet it is not a true opiate and I've read many posts on various forums where people swear  it does absolutely nothing for them..? so I think it is a bit weird really. 

It is a good pain reliever, I'm finding codeine less effective than previously so I'm thinking about asking to go back on the tramadol, but I really disliked the out of control and 'high' feeling, plus it made my heart race and gave me bad anxiety at times too........... tough to weigh up the pros and cons of these things.  

Oh and like you I am scared to ask my Dr for a change of meds incase it triggers a red light in his head and everything gets pulled :(

Edited by crazyguy