CrazyBoards.org

Bodywork Therapy?

Guest ~Aurelie~

Guest ~Aurelie~

soon i will be in a trauma therapy program.  during my assessment we decided which avenues to take.  EMDR is one, since i've done it before and had positive results.  Individual therapy is another.  and Bodywork therapy is another.

i was too out of it to grasp what it's all about.  has anyone here ever done this type of therapy, and if so, would you mind describing it?  i'm guessing it has to do with grounding oneself?

thanks

aurelie (who's brain is in depersonalized mode)

I'm not sure what kind of "bodywork" you're actually referring to but I will relate my experience with massage.

When I was at my lowest point in my depression; was down to 85 pounds (5'6") and the doctors wanted to hospitalize me; simply wanted nothing more than to die...I began going to a massage therapist who could "feel" what areas of my body needed to be worked on. No two massages were ever the same and I left after every massage feeling more balanced, less depressed and hopeless, and "stronger."

It was a combintion of a spiritual force, massage and touch by someone who had empathy for me and who cared about me. She literally saved my life.

Here is a website about an area gentleman who is highly regarded and respected by several people I know. Perhaps just reading what he says can give you a better idea of what your "bodywork" could entail. He might even be able to offer suggestions.

http://www.purewhitelight.com/

Light and love to you....

Guest ~Aurelie~

I'm not sure what kind of "bodywork" you're actually referring to but I will relate my experience with massage.

When I was at my lowest point in my depression; was down to 85 pounds (5'6") and the doctors wanted to hospitalize me; simply wanted nothing more than to die...I began going to a massage therapist who could "feel" what areas of my body needed to be worked on. No two massages were ever the same and I left after every massage feeling more balanced, less depressed and hopeless, and "stronger."

It was a combintion of a spiritual force, massage and touch by someone who had empathy for me and who cared about me. She literally saved my life.

Here is a website about an area gentleman who is highly regarded and respected by several people I know. Perhaps just reading what he says can give you a better idea of what your "bodywork" could entail. He might even be able to offer suggestions.

http://www.purewhitelight.com/

Light and love to you....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi auburn sunshine and more sunshine (can't get enough sunshine)~  thank you both for your help.  thank you for the website and for sharing your experience. 

i had a massage once and it didn't go over very well.  triggered stuff and spiralled me into a bad depression.  the bodywork therapy my doctor is referring to better not entail anyone touching me. 

i am glad it was a positive experience for you.  i know how terrible that kind of depression is. 

aurelie

ps. erika, thank you.  i did a google search and there's just so many different types of bodywork therapy that i'm going to just have to ask my doctor again to know for sure which type they're talking about.

Until I got to the end of your thread I was going to suggest that you try again with a woman. I can see how it could be freaky - and inadvisable - to see a man in a situation that required physical contact if there was trauma involved.

I think there probably is a lot of benefit to bodywork and touch. Touch seems to be something that we all need and to have yourself deprived of it because of whatever happened is maybe the worst part.

Try again with a woman and explain as much as you can what your situation is so she can go slowly to build up trust.

Good luck.

Guest ~Aurelie~

if anyone knows of a type of bodywork therapy specifically for trauma related issues, that does NOT involve touch, please do share!

thanks

aurelie

ps. from what i can find through google, it seems it has to do with releasing trauma stored in areas of the body.

I THINK that Rieki is supposed to be "non touch". Some of the people I associate with (can't call them "friends") swear by it and a lot of other stuff that I would consider "new age".

I'm personally a bit skeptical of "body work" that doesn't touch - but then, I'm a bit of a skeptic anyway! It doesn't require clothing removal. And even if it didn't "work" it might be a good way to move closer to more physical contact. "Successive approximation".

Wish I could give you more "hands on" information! ;)

I hate to see situations where trauma has invisibly stolen part of your life and future. I think touch is too important to be lost like this. (who am I to talk! I've missed it for years! - but not as a result of trauma - as far as I know. So - listen to the voice of experience!) I hope you can persist. Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

if anyone knows of a type of bodywork therapy specifically for trauma related issues, that does NOT involve touch, please do share!

thanks

aurelie

ps. from what i can find through google, it seems it has to do with releasing trauma stored in areas of the body.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

aurelie,

That is just what I've started with my T, it is called somatic experiencing and sounds like what you described; no touch, just me feeling things in my own body with the T providing guidance and asking questions about what I feel.  See my thread above wher eI describe briefly my session.

Tommy

I have tried all forms of so-called "new age" treatments, and am a big fan. Reiki, or energy healing, is done by some people with their hands on you and by some without their hands on you. Personally, I go to a lady and she touches me. I'd get freaked out if a guy touched me doing Reiki, just because of past sexual trauma, but I've had guys do it without touching me. It is very accepted- there is a center by my house- run by NUNS- and they do Reiki.

There is the belief in Chakras, or energy centers of your body, that you might have heard of. This originates in Hinduism. The belief is that by sensing and stabilizing your energy centers that you center and balance yourself. When the Reiki people do their thing, this is what they're usually working with, your Chakra energy on different areas of your body (or energy body).

Personally, I meditate daily, and hypnosis, both with a therapist and later self-hypnosis, has saved me a lot in money for meds and trips to the pdoc/tdoc, and helped me feel more in control of my moods.

Hypnosis isn't what I'd consider "bodywork", but it is a non-traditional therapy that I will swear by.

And for touch, just someone touching you for no apparent reason-

My best friend has Asperger's. It isn't uncommon for us to just stop talking and to say it with touch (this is totally platonic). We communicate this way because we're close and understand each other like that. Usually, we can go about ourselves in this way and not talk much. It is really comforting.

And I love massage! Sign me up!!!

Archived