CrazyBoards.org

Your starting dose of clonazepam/klonopin?

Just wondering the above really...

I've been prescribed 0.5mg twice daily, however i also take baclofen (30mg) and clozapine (450mg) at night so will need to get the balance right as i don't want to be too sedated but i also need to be protected from anxeity.

Was thinking of doing a test dose before hand, only I won't be presented with the situation that causes high anxiety so that might be a bit futile.

I was first prescribed 0.5mg, but found that sedating and since 1/4 to 1/2 a pill worked, that's what I took for a couple years. Now I use .5mg to help with sleep or during the day for anxiety. I can take maybe 2mg without feeling terribly sedated. You can build a tolerance.

I suggest that you do a trial run when you can be sedated even if you don't have an anxiety provoking situation going on. Keep in mind that Klonopin takes about an hour to work but lasts for quite a few. That's partly why some people take it as a maintenance prophylactic med instead of prn.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh I started on a half of a 0.25 mg pill - so 0.125 mg.  But that's because I knew that I don't do well with benzodiazepines and sure enough - I had bad side effects and had to stop it.

I think I win the award for wimpiest dose of Klonopin ever.

Edited by tryp

hahahaha....tryp, that made me literally LOL.

I started at 1 mg AM 1 mg PM. My doc added .5 mg PRN because they wanted me off my PRN Xanax, which I rarely used but which was super effective when I needed it, so that's a bummer. The PRN Klonopin doesn't seem as effective on panic attacks.

My current dose is .5 mg AM 1 mg PM, .5-1 mg PRN to try and help ward off the daytime groggies.

The PRN Klonopin doesn't seem as effective on panic attacks.

I take klonopin on a regular basis (AM and PM), not PRN, and it works so much better for me.  I still need the xanax though for breakthrough anxiety attacks.  For me, klonopin doesn not work as well PRN.  I take it to keep a steady level in my system, like I do most of my other meds.

• 7 months later...

I take it as a PRN. My pdoc prescribed 0.5mg but I find it sedating at times but 0.25mg seems to work too, except without the sedation so I usually use that.

It helps that I can switch it up with propranolol, so I don't take it very often.