CrazyBoards.org

pdoc question "What happens with stress"

For me, when I get stressed, everything seems impossible. I can't think clearly and everything becomes a jumbled mess in my head. I get angry and hostile. Nothing makes sense and all motivation flies out the window and I "freeze up" and may end up staring off into space without blinking for some reason or I have to go hide in a quiet place where I feel safe. 

anxiety - sometimes paralyzing anxiety

I can be snappy and irritable, my husband thinks so

exhaustion - I can't handle the routine of an 8 hour day, trip to grocery store, making dinner, do the dishes

that normal life becomes too DIFFICULT for me, I retire to bed or couch

Do you have someone living with your that has noticed stress triggers? DH helped me a little, with leading questions. But in addition, he had to fill in a form about what things looked like from his point of view, and he didn't let me read it until after I got approved. He noticed a LOT of things that stressed me out, that when he pointed them out, I was like "Oh, of course!" But I couldn't think of them my own.

Stress raises my anxiety and irritability levels, in some cases, it can trigger suicidal ideations. But it depends also on the type of stress it is, for me, there is some positive stress: the kind of stress I make myself, meeting deadlines where I feel excited about getting the work done. Then, there is little anxiety and irritability and no suicidal ideations. Generally though, I think stress tends to amplify any mood or energy changes I already have. And it makes me much more likely to slide into either mania or depression very quickly.

Stress makes me stagnate and can also trigger my mania/depression. When i'm manic it's hard to concentrate and I can't get the things done that are important-like studying or focusing on tasks at work. I also get irritable when I'm anxious. When I'm depressed I can't really function much at all. I have trouble with self care, motivation, interacting with others, focus, and accomplishing anything at work.

Edited by Jaytea

Crippling anxiety typically. Once I was so stressed and anxious I became so depressed I had to go inpatient. Moving into my new house triggered a kinda long bout of hypomania. Extreme stress can and usually WILL be associated with one type of episode or another. Stress is a very huge trigger for me within this illness. Shit happens for seemingly no reason as well, but I am almost 100% positive that every time I get so stressed out I can't handle it, there will be an episode.

That's what happens to me with stress. 

I just stop functioning. I can't get out of bed because it is too scary and I just don't have the capacity to do so. The voices get louder and worse. I usually end up triggering an episode. It is just an awful mess. I try to live a low key life. Even though I am on SSDI I still get stressed easily and still can't function with any stress. I know I'd end up dead if I had too much stress in my life. Sad but true. Well either dead or IP.

I try to live a low key life. Even though I am on SSDI I still get stressed easily and still can't function with any stress.

^THIS.  My body was physically stressed (as well as my mind) and I basically "checked out," like someone above put it.  All I can do is stare, I cant think straight, and I have to sleep in order for anything to get better.  I was so nauseous today I needed Zofran before I fell asleep.  I could barely keep a little food in me.  I'm like a zombie, and just can not function.

Anxiety. My thinking becomes garbled and the slightest disturbance will fluster me. Especially at work...someone will ask me a question and I'll look like an idiot trying to come up with an answer. I'm usually on the verge of an episode if it's bad enough.

Physically I can become feverish and sweat depending on how bad it is, almost like I'm getting a cold.

Stress is one of the biggest triggers for me. It causes me to go into a trance more and its easier for the government to control me. This makes me wander. Also the voices come back, complete with command hallucinations telling me to hurt myself or kill myself. My delusions come on stronger and I have an urge to act on them. The anxiety becomes so severe that I end up sick. For the last few weeks I suddenly sweat to death, out of breath for the simplest of tasks, dizziness, nausea to the point of nearly throwing up (very close but I do everything to prevent it from actually happening because its one of my phobias), depersonalization, surroundings become weird, disorganized speech, I feel like I am in the middle of a nightmare/ dream because everything has a pattern and the background looks like plastic or fake. My IQ goes down as well and I can't figure out things that a 2 year old can figure out in a few seconds. Stress and anxiety nearly kills me. I sometimes get so bad that I get suicidal or self injury. 

My pdoc gave me a list of question for me to answer in preperation for my SSDI appeal. This one has me stumped. When an episode ends, I tend to forget the whole thing, so I am a loss.

I am looking for others reaction to stress in hopes I find my symptoms.

When you say episode, do you mean high anxiety, a panic attack or a bipolar episode?

Stress basically makes me non-functioning. A light amount of stress can have me more functional, but if its excessive, I go nuts. I stop functioning, my appetite goes erratic, my sleep is all over the place, and worst, my anxiety.. oh god..