CrazyBoards.org

Anyone ever had a hysterosonogram?

Please move this thread if it isn't in the correct place.

They found a polyp when doing an ultrasound, so the DR wants to do a hysterosonogram. 

The way it was described to me (the procedure) is they flush in warm water into the uterus to watch the polyp float around to see what it is like.

I've never heard of this and wondered if anyone ever has had experienced a procedure like this, and what it is like.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who has to have one of these ... the test was so painful I almost passed out.   They were putting cool cloths on my head and had me lay down for 10 minutes before I was steady.  I don't know how exactly the DR did this, but it involves a lot of cramping. I googled the procedure and it sounded like it was what they did, except with me they put some sort of balloon in my uterus with some sort of dye.  It really sucked.

Hey Melissa, sounds yucky! You know, I had a Mirena IUCD inserted and that alone caused cramping and me to feel nauseous, sweaty and to have an all round "vasovagal" episode.  I hate stuff to do with the female parts, it can be very painful as you mentioned.  It sounds like, apart from having a hysteroscope for viewing, they used ultrasound, would that be correct? I know they look with a "scope" and the "sonography" part refers to ultrasound or sonograms in the old terminology; I work for a radiology practice and we use ultrasound every day plus xrays, CTs, etc.  Did they give you any anaesthesia at all? OH, i just read the bit about the balloon, that would have made you feel uncomfortable.  They use balloons in lots of procedures, including angioplasties.  Kind of stretches things temporarily.  The dye then helps them to interpret the pictures they would have taken, I would say with ultrasound, it sort of "coats" things and makes them brighter on the pictures.  They are fuzzy pictures on ultrasound but show what they need to see.  If they don't get a good enough look, they may send you for CT or MRI.  Hopefully not as these can become quite costly.  All the best with it all!

Hey Melissa, sounds yucky! You know, I had a Mirena IUCD inserted and that alone caused cramping and me to feel nauseous, sweaty and to have an all round "vasovagal" episode.  I hate stuff to do with the female parts, it can be very painful as you mentioned.  It sounds like, apart from having a hysteroscope for viewing, they used ultrasound, would that be correct? I know they look with a "scope" and the "sonography" part refers to ultrasound or sonograms in the old terminology; I work for a radiology practice and we use ultrasound every day plus xrays, CTs, etc.  Did they give you any anaesthesia at all? OH, i just read the bit about the balloon, that would have made you feel uncomfortable.  They use balloons in lots of procedures, including angioplasties.  Kind of stretches things temporarily.  The dye then helps them to interpret the pictures they would have taken, I would say with ultrasound, it sort of "coats" things and makes them brighter on the pictures.  They are fuzzy pictures on ultrasound but show what they need to see.  If they don't get a good enough look, they may send you for CT or MRI.  Hopefully not as these can become quite costly.  All the best with it all!

Thanks for posting :) Yes they did a transvaginal ultrasound also during part of the procedure.  No, no anesthesia.  I totally wish I'd had some though.

That procedure sounds like it should come with some sedation. Sorry it was so painful. What is the next step?

They were looking for a polyp they thought they'd seen on a previous ultrasound, but when they did the procedure they didn't see anything.  If they'd seen the polyp they would have had to remove it, but they didn't see anything fortunately.

The next step is to put a Mirena IUD in because of my periods irregularity and pain etc.  But atm I am still in some pain and on prescription strength advil and using a heating pad from this procedure last Tuesday (2 days ago).  I called the office yesterday and they said they wanted to see me today if I was bleeding and had a fever.  I don't think I have a fever, but I began bleeding for some reason.  And I've had diarrhea almost constantly for 2 days. 

So in the short term the next step is to see if I need to go back to the DR today to make sure nothing is wrong from the procedure.

But long-term is to put the Mirena IUD in, which I really am hesitant about but will make a final decision later on.  Me and BC have never mixed well.

I don't have anything to add to the conversation, sorry, but I did want to say I'm sorry it sucked so bad, and I hope some information comes of the procedure.

Thanks.  All was normal with the results of the procedure.  They didn't see what they thought they saw earlier on.  DR wants to put in a Mirena IUD in now.

Thank you everyone for your concern.  It was very painful, and I still tear up thinking back to it. 

I had to go back to the DR today because the cramping and pain hadn't all left yet.  There was no sign of infection.  She thought that it might have been/is a spasm of some kind because of all the dye they put in there, that it is all working its way out of my body (ie through fallopian tubes), irritating the lining causing a spasm.

Atm I am doing a little better.  Still on a lot of advil, but it is improving slowly.