CrazyBoards.org

Early REM?

I have been told that I am going into a deep sleep very very fast, as in, I fall asleep and 3 min later I am talking in my sleep, I have been woke up before during this and I can remember the dream. I have very vivid dreams a lot, 2 nights ago I was crying in my sleep. 

Is it normal to go into such a deep sleep so quickly? Does anyone else do this? Should I mention this to my PCP or Tdoc....I am on NO meds.

This happens to me, but I am on meds.  I go into deep sleep fast, and only sleep a couple -few hours.  But just about every time I fall asleep I'll have a dream and wake up, then a little while later fall asleep, etc.

Early REM is common in people who have SZA.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Schizoaffective_disorder

(scroll down to "Diagnosis Methods").

Early REM is common in people who have SZA.

Im not sza, I have depression "clinical depression" is what the tdoc said, and GAD/PTSD/OCD. I am not too concerned, just think it is weird, my fiance said that I am always moaning or talking 5 min after I fall asleep and I will say random things. I assume stress causes it, he just mentions it a lot like "last night you said..." its kind of funny to me, but weird. I can remember the dream if I am woke up while I am in it.

My sister said she is the same, she is in deep sleep very fast and she has vivid dreams as well, but she has the same dx. 

Did you find this out through a sleep study?  If not, then maybe a sleep study would be a good idea to rule out narcolepsy, sleep apnea, etc.  However, I have read that a short interval between falling asleep and the onset of REM is not uncommon with depression.  My general rule is that if something is worrying you or causing impairment in your functioning, then bring it up with the doc.

I do have things that worry me, but it isn't horrible now, I do see a correlation between my stress and lack of sleep and me having this go on, I sleep more now but I am more stressed, I was sleeping less before but not as stressed, its like a lose-lose. I dont have apnea, I had a study done 3 yrs ago, I had less than 1 episode an hour, so i am good and considered in normal range. I did a 1 day study due to my lack of apnea and everything looked fine then, and CPAP and BiPAP would have blew out, I can't tolerate 02, when I had my daughter I couldn't even tolerate it, my Pulse Ox is good. i worked medical for quite a while so I had/have access to equipment and testing and I am knowledgeable of it all. My BP is low and is considered for me "high" at 116/60 that is when I was brought in by paramedic, so high stress, I am very healthy. I wonder if it is a form of narcolepsy, I know a little about it, but the narcolepsy I am knowledgeable of is the kind where the person falls asleep randomly and with or without sufficient amounts of sleep. 

I am going to the PCP this week and Tdoc next week, I will mention it to both of them. Maybe a different study needs done? Is there another kid of study that can be done?

I wonder if it is a form of narcolepsy, I know a little about it, but the narcolepsy I am knowledgeable of is the kind where the person falls asleep randomly and with or without sufficient amounts of sleep.

I have narcolepsy.  Without medication (provigil) I will need to sleep almost constantly.  I can't stay awake for very long at any given time.  I had a sleep study that didn't reveal narcolepsy (neuro said I'd have to be off all meds to test for it, and there was no way in hell I was willing to do that).  I was diagnosed based on months of sleep logs, symptoms (basically the always being tired, sleeping a lot etc), falling asleep randomly only to wake up to a loud "voice" that wasn't really there, and other things I guess he picked up on.  It took a long time to diagnose.