CrazyBoards.org

I'm currently being treated for type 2 diabetes but autoimmune stuff not only wreaks havoc with me but my family as well.  

In the hospital I was put on insulin (for the time) since my blood sugar was close to 800 I think.  I'm currently on Glipizide but my therapist wants me tested for LADA.  My BS is out of control for me.  I can't seem to get it down below the 160 range with diet, exercise and medicine.  It's often between 200-400.

Has anyone else been tested for LADA after being diagnosed type 2?  I'd feel stupid asking for a test that I don't really need. 

(BTW, I'm overweight by about 20 pounds.)

For those like me who don't know what LADA is, the following is from Wiki:

"Latent autoimmune diabetes of adults (LADA) is a concept introduced in 1993 to describe slow-onset type 1 autoimmune diabetes in adults.[1]Adults with LADA are often initially misdiagnosed as having type 2 diabetes based on their age, not etiology."

I would talk it over with the mdoc managing your diabetes and/or autoimmune stuff.

I almost just asked what it was, but figured I could get my fingers off their lazy butts and google it up. So, I shared.

If it was me, I'd be very curious what my mdoc would have to say. Are treatments different? Are there different long-term health concerns that you should take into consideration now? That is an important one. Yeah, the more that I think about it, the more that I'd want to at least know more. 

Are treatments different? Are there different long-term health concerns that you should take into consideration now? That is an important one. Yeah, the more that I think about it, the more that I'd want to at least know more. 

I may be moved over to injections quicker and I think that my risk for my eyes and neuropathy go up too.  I think I may ask for the test if they've not already done it.