CrazyBoards.org

I have a very broad kind of question. 

How do you all experience positive and/or negative symptoms of psychosis?

For example, for positive symptoms, I experience hallucinations (auditory sometimes, mostly visual and sometimes tactile), delusions (paranoid and bizarre), and disorganized thinking/speech. An example of my disorganized thinking/speech would be when I'm thinking, my thoughts jump around inside my head and I can't catch them. Then, when I talk, I switch topics a lot. I think that's called derailment. I experience thought blocking as well, which is when I'm talking/thinking and suddenly my head goes blank and I completely forget what I was talking about. 

As for negative symptoms, I experience alogia (poverty of speech), meaning I have very little to say. This doesn't last long for me though. I also experience great apathy, flat affect and difficulty expressing my emotions verbally and physically. I just feel blank inside and out. My negative symptoms mostly happen in the months directly after a psychotic episode.

So, how do you all experience positive and negative symptoms, including formal thought disorder? What are your most prominent symptoms? 

When it comes to negative symptoms, how do you deal with them? Does medication help them at all? Does medication help your formal thought disorder?

Thanks guys. :) If you need clarification on anything, just ask!

Edited by Parapluie

I experience hallucinations as well, but more auditory than visual.

An example of my disorganized thinking/speech would be when I'm thinking, my thoughts jump around inside my head and I can't catch them. Then, when I talk, I switch topics a lot.

^THIS.  I could have written this.

Medication makes this a lot better.  Without medication I am psychotic without a sense of reality.  My mind does become sharper though and I think fast, talk fast, do things fast.

For the negative symptoms, apathy is a big one for me.  And I just cant think, my mind feels foggy. I stare into space.  I'll also get word salad.  Meds don't always help this; sometimes I just need to ride it all out.

Positive symptoms: auditory and visual hallucinations most common but I also get not as much tactile (recently I felt someone cutting my leg open and I looked and no cut was there), olfactory hallucinations (mainly smelling things rotting or other gross things), gustatory hallucinations (rare but I taste awful things and it makes me want to puke.) So I experience hallucinations of all senses but outside the auditory and visual the others are rare and they are never all at once. 

I also experience bizarre delusions. Or what seems like delusions to others. People tell me they are delusional and I still believe what I believe. The delusions are more severe than the hallucinations. 

I experience word salad, derailment, loosening of associations, and neologisms when I get badly psychotic. So disorganized speech. The Latuda has helped with 70-80% of my symptoms.

I go catatonic for short periods of time, just staring off into space.

Depersonalization, derealization. I get this thing where I am not in this reality/ dimension. Its hard to explain. Its the visions (psychic powers). One time I was in the car a few years back and saw an airliner crash in front of me, I was there. I wasn't even aware that I was in the car in the first place, I was somewhere else. A few days later Air France crashed in 2009. I saw the vision just a few days before. One time I woke up in my room and I was on the moon. I looked all around and it was the moon. I wasn't dreaming. But it could have been sleep paralysis. 

Negative symptoms: Less emotions but not total flat affect. My parents say I do have a flat affect while psychotic but I swear that I was smiling. I get anhedonia as well, losing interest and pleasure in my hobbies and other things that I typically enjoy. A blank mind. Depression. 

Cognitive symptoms: Memory loss is a big one for me. Especially short term memory. Long term stays in tact. I can't figure out the simplest of tasks, I don't know if its a cognitive symptom or just a low IQ. Concentration problems. Focusing attention on things. Understanding what others say. Comprehension. My reading goes downhill almost to the point of being called dyslexic even though I am not technically dyslexic. Words look weird and a different language. Eye tracking problems. OK I think I got it but probably missing things. I do have severe anxiety but I am not writing it here because these are my schizoaffective symptoms. Oh, mania and depression the typical symptoms for that. 

I hear things more than I see them.  It bugs me.  I get paranoid but it always feels like it's for a good reason.  I think the delusions that I have are strange but I'm not sure.

My negative symptoms (are they all negative in a sense?) are avolition and poverty of thought?  I'm not sure.  For most of the time I can't be bothered to speak.  When I do I sound bland and I tend to stop in thought and speech.  It's not so much jumbled although that does happen.  I think the negative symptoms are worse.

Certain medications help but I've found nothing that treats everything.  CBT is good for me to get me out and doing things I don't normally think about.  Fanapt really got rid of the fog I seem to roll around with.  Latuda is good but not like Fanapt was.

Medication doesn't seem to even touch upon the negative symtoms. Sometimes it helps with the positive, but not lately. I'm starting to give up hope on medications. My most prominant symptoms are command voices, which are really getting to me right now. Again, medication and therapy aren't even scratching the surface it's just too powerful. On top of that my mind is racing. Then there's the negative symptoms. Sigh. It never ends. Yet my mind is seemingly blank with a thousand thoughts.

An example of my disorganized thinking/speech would be when I'm thinking, my thoughts jump around inside my head and I can't catch them. Then, when I talk, I switch topics a lot.

^THIS. I could have written this.

Yes!!!

I get a lot of chatter in my head, visual stuff like shadow people, bugs, birds, real (looking) people, etc. one time I was driving and saw someone run in front of my car. Eek!!!

Medication is really helpful as long as its the right one. So far there are two "right ones": Abilify and haldol. Both have causes tremors in my tongue but they have both made me feel so clear, normal, and free of the positive symptoms. I believe my current combo helps ease the negatives too, just might need some tweaking mood stabilizer-wise (according to pdoc).

Edited by forgetmenot220

What are your most prominent symptoms? I hallucinate and have delusions, such as aliens monitoring me. I also believe sometimes that when coincidences happen, it's something that happened just for me. My negative symptoms are being flat, no emotion, very little speech, and thought blocking. I also get the memory and focus problems.

When it comes to negative symptoms, how do you deal with them? I take my meds. I try to stay low key because I work and I don't want people to think, "WTH is wrong with her?"

Does medication help them at all? Yes.

Does medication help your formal thought disorder? Yes, I am fairly symptom free outside of episodes.

Edited by wj74

My positive symptoms seem to be hearing things or voices and paranoia. Sometimes delusions too. But mostly the first two.

Negative symptoms are rough too. I can't concentrate on anything. I want to lay in bed all day. I have very flat affect I've been told. I have zero motivation. I use words that aren't really words.

positive is all three...hallucinations delusions and formal thought disorder. are you asking what themes my "delusions" take? it's complex and related but they fall under persecutory referential/interpretation those of control/thought, and a few others that are just classed "bizarre" but all of them are reinforced by auditory, visual and less frequently somatic and/or olfactory hallucinations. with the formal thought disorder...thought blocking is a big one, but i do ..i'd estimate about 75% of the features of it... defo not every feature. i do get idea salad and have trouble with sentence construction and syntax is just non existent and it gets pretty obvious pretty quickly...there are things i've written here aren't my worst at all but you can see it. at my worst i can go word salad but i'm usually a few steps away from that. that's more a rarity for me to be full on.

negative for me are mostly avolition and alogia. self care plummets and i get the poverty of speech and i just fucking sit and stare and basically just retreat into my head because i can't get out and even i could i don't really care to or know why anyone would care to. meds aren't great for it but i do think that it's kinda more the progression of being yanked out of being psychotic for me. it does eventually pass but i decompensate badly in the meantime. 

meds for formal thought disorder: that's why i take the zyprexa. i don't find the typicals do well with disorganized symptoms but they're what work best for my hallucinations and i don't know if all the meds in the world will really rid me of my "delusions" though a fair amount of them in conjunction with CBT does do something maybe hopefully again or now...we'll see.

Edited by mellifluous

For me, positive symptoms aren't as strong as I think they are for some folks. I get a lot of bodily illusions; that is, quasi-psychotic experiences that result in subtle or blatant twisting of perception. Frequent examples for me include, but are not limited to: food that smells and tastes good suddenly turning foul, ashy, metallic or otherwise odd tasting in my mouth or on the dish after a bite or two; the smell of putrefaction or blood when food is cooking; the persistent feeling that a hand or foot is on backward (being able to see that it isn't doesn't necessarily allay the conviction); the feeling that the fingers on one hand feel different than the other (frequently, one hand feels smooth and bony to the other); hearing voices in ordinary sounds like the tap, the water softener, the furnace, hearing the recliner sob when it's kicked back, etc. I'm not sure if this counts as quasi-psychosis or is closer to the true thing, but I also experience frequent paranoia, see and sense specific presences whom only I perceive, and, rarely, hear true stand-alone voices. There's more, I'm sure. Sometimes it's hard for me to tell what's just me and what's everyone. If that makes sense.

Negative symptoms are worse for me. I experience more or less constant anhedonia (including for social interaction), periods of avolition, thought blocking/"thought theft,"and poverty of communication and thought, especially conversational ability. Sometimes I "go away" for awhile; self-care falls by the wayside or becomes weird, and maintaining conversations face to face is very hard. Online seems to help some, though it's taken me the better part of forty-five minutes to type this. -_-

So, how do you all experience positive and negative symptoms, including formal thought disorder? What are your most prominent symptoms? 

I experience all of the positive symptoms to varying degrees.  I have auditory, visual, and tactile hallucinations.  I have paranoid and bizarre delusions.  I experience thought disorganization to the point of becoming incoherent, in its milder forms I can't stay on one train of thought normally and I'm frequently derailed.  A lot of people have told me at various times that I don't make sense.  I also get thought blocking and other stuff too.  I've also been catatonic a lot, though now it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.  When I first got sick I spent the better part of an entire summer in a catatonic stupor.  

I experience avolition and flattened and/or inappropriate affect.  Other stuff too but I don't remember it all right now.  Poverty of speech is a big one too.

My most prominent symptoms?  It varies and it's changed over time.  When I first got sick, it was catatonia and thought disorganization mostly with some hallucinations and delusions but they weren't as prominent.  After awhile it turned into hallucinations being the most prominent.  Then my delusions became my most prominent symptom for a very long time.  Right now I'd say it's delusions and thought disorganization.  I've slipped into catatonic states quite a bit in the past year too, but they don't last as long as they used to.

When it comes to negative symptoms, how do you deal with them? Does medication help them at all? Does medication help your formal thought disorder?

I don't deal with them very well, they are always there and it's extremely frustrating.  Medication doesn't help much.  Medication helps with the thought disorganization though.

Edited by Schizophrenic_Sanity

currently i have more tendency to think suspicious thoughts than most, and struggle to communicate with people who focus on things like body language and tone (cos mine rarely reflect what I'm saying, thinking, and feeling)

no visuals etc for ages,

can't remember formal titles for any of that, and don't care, pdoc understands in non formal lingo anyway so it's not important to me

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, I was wondering, how do you differentiate between negative symptoms and negative side effects of your medications? I think anti-psychotics give me a lot of what would be described as negative symptoms, so how can I know what they are for sure? I never had any symptoms (positive or negative) before my first psychotic episode and I have remained under different medications ever since.

I realize maybe it's unimportant what causes a symptom, but I want to know anyways. I think knowing could help my pdoc give me a better diagnosis. Or am I completely misunderstanding negative symptoms?

Thanks in advance.

(And no, not taking my meds for a little while is not an option, I can't sleep without them.)

Hey everyone, I was wondering, how do you differentiate between negative symptoms and negative side effects of your medications? I think anti-psychotics give me a lot of what would be described as negative symptoms, so how can I know what they are for sure? I never had any symptoms (positive or negative) before my first psychotic episode and I have remained under different medications ever since.

I realize maybe it's unimportant what causes a symptom, but I want to know anyways. I think knowing could help my pdoc give me a better diagnosis. Or am I completely misunderstanding negative symptoms?

Thanks in advance.

(And no, not taking my meds for a little while is not an option, I can't sleep without them.)

Would you like to start a new thread? You may get more responses that way. 

Personally, I know mine were negative symptoms cause they went away after about 1 1/2 months. I seem to only have strong negative symptoms right after a psychotic episode. I know it's not my medication, or specifically my anti-psychotic, because my medication actually makes me feel better, allows me to think more clearly and gives me energy. 

I also never had any symptoms of psychosis before my first psychotic episode. That's why it's called "first episode psychosis." Unless you have schizophrenia, in which there is sometimes a prodromal period. But even that doesn't have psychosis. It's characterized by things like social withdrawal and lack of self-care. 

I would say, if the symptoms are persisting, they are probably actual negative symptoms, not medication side effects. 

I know it's not my medication, or specifically my anti-psychotic, because my medication actually makes me feel better, allows me to think more clearly and gives me energy.

I would say, if the symptoms are persisting, they are probably actual negative symptoms, not medication side effects.

^Both of these.