CrazyBoards.org

Has anybody had success with this med for depression? Does it seem to help your anhedonia/lack of motivation? I have been on this med before but not on this dose. The dr, said this dose helps depression for some reason. 

I failed all of the ssris, snri's and wellbutrin. Nothing seems to touch the depression part. I have been trying for years. Even with counseling and all that.

Is it common to use risperdal for depression? I'm not the dr. here,but I'm thinking there are safer methods. 

I have Bipolar, more on the depressive end, suffered untreated for a decade. During treatment, SSRIs made me agitated, tricyclics did get little, lifestyle stuff failed.

We tried risperdal for pyschotic stuff, but it has mood stabilizing properties and helped somewhat. For me, the miracle med was Lithium, but risprdal def helped.,

Have you tried tricyclics? They work very well for a lot of people who are otherwise treatment resistant.

I know that several AAPs are used for depression, although I can't speak to risperidone.  I've used it to stomp on mania and hypomania, but that doesn't mean that is the only way to use it. Good luck.

I took Risperdal for a short time to quell the anger associated with my depression.

It did a great job squelching my anger. Unfortunately, it squelched all of my other emotions. The benefit did not outweigh the flat, hollow feeling it gave me.

In my case, I wouldn't call it a mood brightener.

Abilify was the most effective antidepressive AAP I have taken. Unfortunately, it gave me restless legs.

Seroquel has been somewhat helpful for me, and is often prescribed as an augmentative agent. It has made it difficult for me to swallow, so I am coming off it. t

You might consider ECT. I had a course earlier this year, and I have been pleased with the results.

Edited by LemonHead

I've taken Risperidone to tamp down mania (in particular to calm me down enough to sleep-combined with trazodone). I also take it when my anxiety levels reaches an emergency level and my Klonopin isn't working. It doesn't help with my depression but Abilify and Zoloft have worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I'll be honest, I'm not certain what the uber low dosage of Risperdal I'm on is specifically geared toward...  Like, depression, anxiety, blah blah blah.  Here's how I ended up on it, I told my dr. I needed some help for self harm.  I didn't want scars all over my arms anymore because my kid's getting old enough to notice and ask questions.  I'm ashamed. I brand myself to stop panic attacks in their tracks.  The pain just snaps me outta it.  It was worth it to me when I was younger having some scars but few panic attacks.  I'm getting older, the shame factor's kicking in.  Sooo, he gives me Risperdal, and lemme say...  I don't get the urge to hurt myself almost at all or get nearly as addled up.  *shrug*  Odd.  My depression is still gnarly, so I'd say no.