CrazyBoards.org

Did any of you have negative symptoms long before Dx?

I think I have had negative symptoms all my life I am not sure, but I dont usually have much to say, if I am at a party or meeting new people I dont tell stories, I dont initiate topics much.

I have trouble expressing how I am feeling in any detail unless its good, bad, tired, depressed, maybe thats normal.

I am always to the point, and I dont express much empathy. The only pleasure I find it life are my hobbies, I am smart but never applied myself in school, I never cared, I dont work, I havent worked in almost 10 years, its like I have a messed up reward system, I dont feel much acomplishment for earning money or doing labour.

I have bouts of lack of consideration for other people such as offering someone a drink, I need to go out of my way to be reminded I need to cater to guests and such.

I dont really get offended much, like if someone takes a stab at me or mocks me I dont feel offended, although sometimes I can fly in to a rage depending on the circumstances.

I never have any witty replies, I always think of what I should of done or said or a different way to handle something where at the time I was blank.

From what I gather these are all schizoid traits or from negative symptoms of schizophrenia, can anyone else relate or have you had negative symptoms most your life?

In terms of pathology, these things are best viewed not compared to others, but compared to yourself. If you take your healthy self in a snap shot at say, age 15, how does that differ from today?

There is a lot of work being done on the negs, since a lot of the literature has been based on institutionalised "crazies" who ultimately see 4 walls 24/7, which naturally complicates these things.

The trouble is thinking back before the MI kicked in when memory is so shot with the crazies, valproate [Rx'ed for epilepsy, but off label uses are handy] help the negatives for me [after getting through the first 6-12 months of making them worse]