CrazyBoards.org

Body Dysmorphic Disorder, anyone?

Hey hey, I've been reading this forum since I stumbled across it a few days ago, and I was looking around to see if there was much here on BDD, but alas, there isn't too much. What up with that?

Anyway, I really like this forum's no-nonsense vibe, and I'd really like to hang out here!

Hi, welcome to CB 

In the eating disorders forum there are posts about BDD, although they may not contain it in the title. You're also welcome to start your own thread, of course.

In the bottom right corner (--> in case you're directionally challenged like me) you'll see a link to the rules. We recommend that all new users check it out, because otherwise the nipple clamps can be intimidating. It saves confusion later on.

Looking forward to seeing your posts around :)

Well if it gets more responses, then super! I just posted it in OCD cause it was recently reclassified as a type of OCD. It's not actually an eating disorder at all, and that's one of the common misconceptions. There's definitely a comorbidity there, but most people with BDD obsess over facial features, hair, or birthmarks and scars. But hey, as long as the thread gets responses!

• 2 weeks later...

i was never diagnosed with BDD but the counselor I was seeing back when I was first diagnosed with OCD mentioned that BDD symptoms were a part of my OCD.

for me it has to do with my skin. I feel like I am covered in acne, even though apparently I am actually not. I think it's sort of a delayed reaction to the fact that I did have really bad acne as a teenager. funny thing is, I didn't give a shit back then. but now that I don't have acne any more, I am afraid to look in the mirror for fear that I DO have it. the human mind...what a strange thing.

OMG, I can't believe they put a name to this part of my obsessing over my appearance!! Egad, I do believe I am a prime "suspect" for BDD! I have picked at my skin for years, obsess daily over hairs, pimples, anything.  I got worse over the years but I have so many other issues going on this one got shoved on the back burner so to speak! I am waking up more and more every day though and I am pleased to find out that I am not alone, though I am not pleased that anyone of us is suffering! I have really struggled with this, like many of my other MIs (yes, I could be called multiple MI lady) for years and it has sort of come and gone and come back again.  Unfortunately, acne did rear its ugly head and this is something I really struggle with, though many would probably say that I have nothing to worry about.  I have way too many scars though, although fortunately in this climate I get to sun bleach some of my scars in summer time - you know, get a healthy skin tone, etc.  Still, I see permanent damage and I don't even know if anything can fix it - I am getting laser hair removal and have considered doing laser treatment for scarring and/or acne. 

Anyway, there I go again! Welcome to the board btw.  Sorry to hijack your discussion! I get a bit over excited.....

I think my body-related preoccupations are better explained by my eating disorder than by BDD, but I can definitely relate to the symptoms of BDD.  Avoiding going out in public, compulsive body checks, low self-esteem, self-consciousness, etc. 

I have a first degree-relative who had cosmetic surgery last month to "correct" a problem that wasn't really there.  It really brought home the fact that this is something I struggle with, too.

My preoccupations are related more to my ED, too. I obsess over certain body parts that I have been told look fine (not as huge as I think they are, for instance). I am constantly looking in mirrors to make sure everything looks "right" and am never really happy with how I look. My hair, any hairs that are unsightly, my teeth. I am constantly checking and obsessing. Drives me crazy!

• 4 weeks later...

I can relate a bit. My face bugs me. I get pimples, often in the same spot, around my period. Sometimes I can hardly leave the house, my hair, this is wrong, that is wrong.. its frustrating.. my thighs are too big, my shirt is too short, this is touching the wrong spot.

I suppose an ED can clash... you always see the same thing in the mirror, no matter what!

Body issues just plain SUCK. No matter the label

Edited by thesystemisdown
Can't spell.

To be honest I think the main way people get diagnosed is through an ED, there must be so many people out there that have it and don't have an ED and just walk around thinking they look like trash when they really don't. I know it comes with my ED and in order for it not to trigger me I have to literally avoid reflective surfaces to avoid going off on one. Kind of hard to do but it has to be done. Even mirrors where I can only see my face make it all bad. My nose, ears, cheeks, my general face. Urrrgh.

If I hadn't got an ED but had BDD, I'd still be obsessed with my appearance.