CrazyBoards.org

Would Seroquel XR be a better option for me?

I want to get off latuda and possibly abilify, but I will probably end up still needing the abilify. Latuda is not helping me with my mood but helps with voices.

I'm curious though because I did much better on seroquel. Is the XR more likely to not be so sedating during the day? Does it still cause weight gain or is it better in that regard?

I want to ask m pdoc about the XR but I just wanted some opinions and wisdom experiences from you guys who have knowledge about this issue.

Thank you.

Seroquel is often used for anxiety and sleep at ~200-ish milligrams  I have never been abobe 150mg myself, but they say it really helps psychotic symptoms over 300mg, there are some people here who are on 600mg or more. 

In my experience, because I took the med at night Seroquel IR did not leave me AS tired in the morning but XR does, Perhaps, something like that could be solved by taking the XR early in the morning.

Besides Abilify (geodon too?) It's one of the lesser likely ones to cause weight gain and high prolactin ect.

I have used both over the past 2.5 years.  The IR is great because you will have more control as to when you will fall asleep.  The XR will have less control over timing your bedtime and will leave you more groggy than the IR the next day.  Under my current dose of 300mg, I did not have any issues with weight gain. at my current dose, it may be in cahoots with the Depakote in putting on pounds, but who really knows.  I tend to think that Seroquel for me is weight neutral.

You might want to check into adding Metformin if weight gain is why you're reluctant to go back on Seroquel. It has helped a lot of people and would certainly be worth a try, IMO.

Ugh, I hate Seroquel! I am on 100mg XR and I not only get tired easily in the evenings but I have weird dreams, it isn't helping my moods, etc and I feel drowsy as hell most of the day - keep needing to drink coffee.  I am finding I am still really angry, aggressive verbally about stuff that is pissing me off (not everyone and everything but some issues) and I can't stop obsessing so I find Seroquel to be a bit of a fail for me - I can't see it helping if I have the dose increased as thus far it hasn't helped at all.  No weight gain though and I am not hot and sweaty all the time - the only good things about it.  :(

I am ripping my hair out literally. I don't want to gain any weight but seroquel worked so well but made me tired during the day. I was hoping the XR would be different but I guess it's not. I'm so fed up! 

Frankly, seroquel XR is keeping me alive.  I switched to it in January 2012 after spending several years on an extremely high dose of the IR (1000mg),.  I still need to take small amounts of the IR as a "top up", but since starting to take 600mg of the XR per day my functioning has improved immeasurably.  For me, it's all about the timing.  I take it at about 5pm, and by 9-10pm my head has quietened down enough for me to take the rest of my meds and go to bed.  I get 7-8 hours of solid sleep a night (which is HUGE for me).  I do wake up needing a big mug of coffee, but that's it - after the coffee I'm able to get up, get dressed and get myself to work without feeling doped up. So I have to wonder if the people complaining about its sedative effects in the morning aren't taking it early enough.  Also, in terms of weight gain its been basically neutral for me.

Please don't give up on the idea of the XR - you don't know until you try whether or not it could work for you.  It could turn things around for you in the same way it did for me.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone! I'm going to talk to my case worker tomorrow about it and also call my pdoc again or have her call him. He or the nurse did not call me back yesterday.

And thanks miab. I am hopeful that this may be the ticket for me too. I would love to sleep through the night. I don't remember the last time that that has happened. It's been years.

I still want to eat my fridge about 11 pm.

mmm.... delicious fridge....

i'm a fan of standard seroquel. i ate more before i took it due to being suicidal, and anything, including binging on carbs or sugar felt better than being suicidal.

that said, i still have a long ways to go with my eating habits, self esteem, body issues, etc etc etc

Slurroquel was a godsend when I needed it.

And I gained about 40# in a relatively short amount of time.

The two interventions that seem to be effective for preventing or reducing AAP-induced weight gain include keeping a food log (so tedious, but so helpful), and metformin.

I would try bumping your Latuda up before bailing on it. It may be helping your mood more than you realize. And since you are already on it, you might as well test it out more thoroughly before writing it off. 80mg is not a particularly high dose.

If you go with Seroquel, I'd talk to your doc about metformin, too. Someone mentioned this already. It was a good suggestion worth mentioning again.

Edited by AnneMarie

So I spoke with the nurse today and pdoc doesnt want to make any med changes over the phone. I see him in two weeks about.

But I'm thinking that AnneMarie has a good suggestion in that maybe I should try bumping up the latuda before giving up on it. Couldn't hurt to try.

Thanks again everyone for the thoughtful replies.