CrazyBoards.org

Movies with main characters featuring Schizophrenia and Various Psychoses?

I'm interested in watching movies with main characters featuring Schizophrenia and Various Psychoses. I've already watched A Beautiful Mind and seen the ending of The Aviator. Are there any other movies besides these two that have main characters with Schizophrenia and/or Various Psychoses?

Canvas is a 2006 film starring Marcia Gay Harden as a mother with schizophrenia. I remember it being really good when I watched it on Netflix a couple of years ago. Not sure if it's still available for streaming, but it's worth checking out.

Half of the movies above do not have main characters with schizophrenia although I accept there is some overlap (But Trainspotting? Really?) and there seem to be very few movies that overtly showcase schizophrenia. I'll give you my own list.

Relating to my personal experience -

Waking Life

A Scanner Darkly (OK maybe more drug addiction)

Fight Club

Vanishing point - 1971 original (notions of telepathy between Barry Newman and DJ "Supersoul")

I shot Andy Warhol

Being Flynn (for DeNiro's quite possibly schizophrenic father - he is described as such in the recent memoirs by Nick Flynn which are great reads)

This year's love (one of the main characters has a pretty credible psychotic breakdown)

The science of sleep (bit twee for my tastes this one but I think it has a relation to the schizophrenic experience)

Black swan (I hate this movie but think it deserves a mention and plenty of other people love it)

And for a little light relief there's recent comedy dramas "Jeff who lives at home" and "Safety not guaranteed" that have fun with the delusions/paranoia of central characters.There's a place in my heart for Steve Martin Rom-com "LA Story" too with its billboard sending the central character messages.

If you can stomach it there's little known documentary "The Bridge" featuring footage of a schizophrenic jumping to her death and interviews with her family and friends.

Golden Turkey award goes to "A Beautiful Mind". I've never been able to watch this all the way through and am sick of people telling me I must watch it given my diagnosis. I hated everything about it. By all accounts John Nash's life did not pan out in reality much like the movie at all. Glad I've never made it to the end where apparently he becomes stable all thanks to his wife's loving support. Bleurgh.

Half of the movies above do not have main characters with schizophrenia although I accept there is some overlap (But Trainspotting? Really?) and there seem to be very few movies that overtly showcase schizophrenia. I'll give you my own list.

Relating to my personal experience -

Waking Life

A Scanner Darkly (OK maybe more drug addiction)

Fight Club

Vanishing point - 1971 original (notions of telepathy between Barry Newman and DJ "Supersoul")

I shot Andy Warhol

Being Flynn (for DeNiro's quite possibly schizophrenic father - he is described as such in the recent memoirs by Nick Flynn which are great reads)

This year's love (one of the main characters has a pretty credible psychotic breakdown)

The science of sleep (bit twee for my tastes this one but I think it has a relation to the schizophrenic experience)

Black swan (I hate this movie but think it deserves a mention and plenty of other people love it)

And for a little light relief there's recent comedy dramas "Jeff who lives at home" and "Safety not guaranteed" that have fun with the delusions/paranoia of central characters.There's a place in my heart for Steve Martin Rom-com "LA Story" too with its billboard sending the central character messages.

If you can stomach it there's little known documentary "The Bridge" featuring footage of a schizophrenic jumping to her death and interviews with her family and friends.

Golden Turkey award goes to "A Beautiful Mind". I've never been able to watch this all the way through and am sick of people telling me I must watch it given my diagnosis. I hated everything about it. By all accounts John Nash's life did not pan out in reality much like the movie at all. Glad I've never made it to the end where apparently he becomes stable all thanks to his wife's loving support. Bleurgh.

I liked "A Beautiful Mind", at least parts. Like when he was looking for codes through the paper. I used to scour the newspaper looking for hidden messages. And how they filmed it so you weren't sure what was real for the first part of the movie. A glaring difference from his true life experience is that his hallucinations were mainly auditory, but that isn't interesting to watch.