CrazyBoards.org

Uber sensitivity to meds: need best pill cutter

So my docs are willing to work with me on taking fractions of the reguar doses of meds, since I couldn't tolerate many medicines and just suffered for years and once one finally let me just do crumbs I started getting better.

1. Any body else have this type of experience? (not interested if you think this is a figment of my imagination - - it's not! don't really care if you *don't* have this experience, kinda looking for kindred chemically inclined, here, but I am always open to hearing about anyone's personal experience)

2. Any body find a pill cutter out there that is more dependably accurate? Other than that ridiculously expensive Swiss one. Ridiculous that my choices are flimsy $1-$10 or a freakin' $60 pill cutter, hoping someone knows of one that's a little more accurate than, say the one that has rubber floor and sidewalls that runs around $5. <That one doesn't work well for tiny pills.

Oh yeah, I'm new here. Love the place. Can't believe there's a place where people talk about this shit "real".

I have had those problems.  I did not find anything better than the type of pill cutter you mention.  I was able to do pretty well with it (for example I was cutting 2mg Abilify into 1/8 and was able to do it pretty evenly, those pills are small) but some pills are a lot harder to cut than others.

What meds are you on?  What forms are available?

Also, call your insurance and see if they cover compounded meds.  Many people actually have insurance coverage for compounding but don't realize it.

I have friends that have this problem. Most of them have brain injuries, and their neurotransmitter thingies (sorry, new med, word finding issues) get overwhelmed really easily. These two articles kind of dance around that theory, but my dad used to use the "start low, go slow" method of treating patients with brain trauma.

That doesn't mean you have to have a brain injury, I just mean you are not alone.

P.S. Do you have a link to the $60 pill cutter? My husband and I take a *lot* of meds.

Edited by crtclms

Most pharmacies have pill cutters. I've actually used nail clippers on my HCTZ, its a tiny pill at 25mg and I have to cut it in half to 12.5mg.. Clean cut. 

The suggestion about liquid alternatives is a great one.Definitely look into that.

Nail clippers, that's an interesting idea, especially for an emergency.  It would be preferable to biting the pill in half, which I had to do the other day because I had put the wrong strength pill in my "oh crap I forgot to take my pills this morning" emergency keychain med container thingy.

I have one by Apex Medical Corp. (LSG Products Group-made in America!)  that I've been using for at least 10 years...we originally bought it so we could cut up the dog's prednisone for her. It's rigid white plastic, has a razor blade mounted inside over a v-shaped chute for holding the pills steady, and I've used it to cut a 100 mg Seroquel all the way down to 12.5 mgs without the pill disintegrating.

The trick is to CHOP quickly and decisively. If you apply slow and gradual pressure, pretty much any pill will crumble.

That is the style I have, but I think the blade has dulled. I snap it shut fast, because I've noticed the same thing as you, but lately, it makes pills crumble anyway, or doesn't go all the way through the enteric coating. And we take a LOT of pills, especially me, but DH's no slouch either. I showed them to him, and he wasn't that impressed. Whatevah, I'm getting one.

The easiest solution is to get liquid if it's available. Quite often, they'll have to order it and that might take a week or more depending on how often the pharmacy you use places orders. When I had to take liquid Abilify it took them ages to get it but they finally did and it made dosing so much easier.

If you can't get a liquid and it's important that the pills are split exactly evenly, then I'd opt for a compounding pharmacy. They should be able to make capsules that will have the amount you need. The problem is, your insurance might not cover a compounding pharmacy without you getting approval first. It's certainly worth a try. 

One other thing to consider is how long the half-life is on the medication. Some of them have such a long half-life that being off by just a tad will work out for you. Say you have a 10mg pill and need to take 5mg, if the half-life of the medication is long, it might not really matter if you take 4mg one night and 6mg the next. 

Best of luck. 

• 3 weeks later...