CrazyBoards.org

While taking my mom to her naturapath/herbalist/whatever, I was really tired and had to sit down and the lady came over and was like, you're anxious and stressed...here try this...and handed me a bottle of some kind of flower essences. What was freaky was that she knew I have anxiety, with *repressed anger*--and this formula has it stamped on the bottle that that's what it treats...freaky right?! Like, she *knew* without really knowing me what's up...Even my painted on smile and creative makeup can't hide it...

I've been taking it since Saturday and I do feel less murderous/suicidal. So far I take it every few hours, a few drops under the tongue. I still feel angry, sad, whatever...but I don't feel it to the point of being bed-ridden or where I'm so enraged that I might stroke out.

I was much less furious during my commute today too...I still got angry but not screaming-she-bat rage I normally get... So I'm thinking this stuff is working....

Just putting that out there...Anybody have any experience with homeopathic things like this? 

You probably won't find a lot of support for homeopathy and flower essences here.

If you search homeopathy in this section you'll see what I mean.

I think there are possibilities of things we don't yet understand with the limits of our science, but I'm also not a "crystal woo-woo" kind of person either. So I'll just say that and leave it be.

Oh yeah I hear you guys...points made.

I was going to put a disclaimer in my post that it's *not* as a replacement for regular therapy/standardized meds...

This was just about me personally looking for non-standardized treatments because I have seratonin syndrome and I nearly died--so no ssri's for me...but I could never function without my Xanax, so this is a good adjunct therapy for me... Just saying...

Sorry if I upset anyone :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is it Bach essences? They worked great for me (and my cats). I have customized mix and atm I am thinking I need to update it and replaces some of the essences with something else (cause some of my problems seem to have faded).

I know few peopel who swear by the essences. And since there's probably NO interactions with anything... it's worth trying. Worst thing that can happen is it won't do anything (and that's likely when you chose wrong essence for you). I am big believer in these things.

• 1 month later...

Have found Bach Flower essences to be very helpful in taking the edge off. Using PINE for my constant Guilt stuff.

A few years back I took a 3 week cross country trip with my step-Mom ( nice lady but best in small doses). Knew she would drive me to behave in a manner unacceptable to me. Used IMPATIENTS the whole trip ( put drops into my water bottle and kept sipping) and we never had a cross word. That falls under the category of amazing.

I use the bach flower essence anxiety spray for the times when I'm off the wall but have to drive (xanax and driving aren't such a great combination). As something to just help take the edge off, it helps a little. I usually require at least 4 doses of it though so I'm unsure as to how much of it is placebo effect but I keep it with me anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I use lavendar oil (not the edible kind) to dab on my bathrobe and in my bath. I will put a few drops on my sweater sleeve lately. It doesn't make the anxiety go away, but rather gives me something pleasant to help shift my focus into the present for a few seconds. It's more of a self soothe mechanism.

Bach Flower essences are placebos. Someone suggested I use Rescue Remedy for my Boxer, who was becoming anxious because of dementia. If you go read the web page, the list of "herbs," what they cure, and how they cure it is laughable. They actually have Walnut in it, and walnut isn't good for dogs. One of the herbs, I kid you not, is called "vine."

• 2 weeks later...

Bach Flower essences are placebos. Someone suggested I use Rescue Remedy for my Boxer, who was becoming anxious because of dementia. If you go read the web page, the list of "herbs," what they cure, and how they cure it is laughable. They actually have Walnut in it, and walnut isn't good for dogs. One of the herbs, I kid you not, is called "vine."

Rescue remedy does NOT contain walnut. Walnut essence is to protect against negative effects changes, such as new careers and big moves... not sure why would a dog need that.

Not sure what is so funny about "vine". But maybe you could try it. Is for inflexibility in opinions. Maybe it could stand the reason in caught your eye.

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I use lavendar oil (not the edible kind) to dab on my bathrobe and in my bath. I will put a few drops on my sweater sleeve lately. It doesn't make the anxiety go away, but rather gives me something pleasant to help shift my focus into the present for a few seconds. It's more of a self soothe mechanism.

aromatherapy is a different thing to essences, but helpful nonetheless (and kinda... more fun if you are a girl).

BohemianChick,

I am a supporter of the idea that there may be things we can't currently understand with our science as it stands. However, insulting people who disagree with you isn't cool.

The reason people here are critical of things like Bach flower essences/remedies and homeopathy is that when you look at the explanation for HOW they work, you get things like this:

How do the Remedies work?

The Bach Flower Remedies is a safe and natural method of healing. They gently restore the balance between mind and body by casting out negative emotions, such as, fear, worry, hatred and indecision which interfere with the equilibrium of the being as a whole. The Bach Flower Remedies allow peace and happiness to return to the sufferer so that the body is free to heal itself.

There is NO explanation of mechanism. It's impossible to prove whether they work because there is no explanation of how they work to test against other things that may be causing the outcome people experience.

Sorry Bohemian Chick. Maybe you would like to look at the list of ingredients from the Bach Essential Flowers Rescue Remedy page:

http://www.bachflower.com/bach-flower-remedies/

BACH FLOWER REMEDIES AND THEIR INDICATIONS:

The explanation for each ingredients presence is below the list, on the page of the link. The link is directly to the page. Please note the ingredient "vine."

Vine of what? Vine of Blackberries? Vine of gourd? Vine of Poison Ivy? It's like saying an ingredient is "Flower," or "nut," or "berry."

Maybe you would like to read more into it... and read that this is not what is in RESCUE REMEDY. These are 38 Bach essences. Rescue Remedy is a mixture of five essences. Walnut is NOT one of them. Nor is Vine.

I used Bach essences for few years, so not only I seen them work in real life, but I studied them more then brief (mis)glance on their webside.

here: http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-information/

Again, Rescue Remedy is one particular mix, using FIVE particular essencies. There is also Rescue sleep and apparently other mixtures.

I am a supporter of the idea that there may be things we can't currently understand with our science as it stands. However, insulting people who disagree with you isn't cool.

I am not insulting them for not believing in Bach. I am pointing out that the said poster knows too little of the essences to snark at them.

Edited by BohemianChick

I don't agree that "the poster knows too little of the essences to snark at them."

I think that there is NO MECHANISM OF ACTION that can be currently understood by our contemporary understanding of science.

That's not unique to the poster. It's a property of the flower essences. It's the same principle as homeopathy... which has been pretty thoroughly explored here and elsewhere as something that does not have any valid science behind it.

I'm not saying that it might not work for some people. What I AM saying is that until or unless the HOW if it is understood, there's no way to tell if it's ACTUALLY the flower essence or something else, like a belief that one is taking effective action in alignment with one's values to help them feel better... aka a placebo effect.

As the flower essences are currently described BY THE MANUFACTURERS, it's simply not a testable hypothesis.

Maybe you would like to read more into it... and read that this is not what is in RESCUE REMEDY. These are 38 Bach essences. Rescue Remedy is a mixture of four essences. Walnut is NOT one of them. Nor is Vine.

I used Bach essences for few years, so not only I seen them work in real life, but I studied them more then brief (mis)glance on their webside.

here: http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-information/

Just saying, I could bottle up some apple juice and tell people it will make them fly- doesn't mean it's true, but people would probably buy it. There is absolutely no scientific evidence that any of what they claim on that site is true. 

I don't agree that "the poster knows too little of the essences to snark at them."

I think that there is NO MECHANISM OF ACTION that can be currently understood by our contemporary understanding of science.

That's not unique to the poster. It's a property of the flower essences. It's the same principle as homeopathy... which has been pretty thoroughly explored here and elsewhere as something that does not have any valid science behind it.

I'm not saying that it might not work for some people. What I AM saying is that until or unless the HOW if it is understood, there's no way to tell if it's ACTUALLY the flower essence or something else, like a belief that one is taking effective action in alignment with one's values to help them feel better... aka a placebo effect.

As the flower essences are currently described BY THE MANUFACTURERS, it's simply not a testable hypothesis.

They don't know what are components to the Rescue remedy, that is what I meant. (Aka snarking at walnut not being good for dogs and then listing individual remedies as part of the Rescue remedy... .apparently shows they just glanced at the website and dismissed it).

Bach essences have been tried for some time. They work for many. Doesn't hurt to try and be open minded, especially if all the sciency treatments fail, right?

No, I didn't. I just focused on other point than you focus on.

I just think that if you criticize something and don't know what exactly it is... what right you have to say it's "laughable"? One of the point of criticism of rescue remedy was that wallnut is not good for dogs. It's as valid as criticising French cousin with "all the pizza and pasta sucks".

Edited by BohemianChick

This is listed under "The Original Bach Flower Remedies For Pets: Here is a Link.

I believe that walnut is right there between "vine" and "water violet" on the list.

Now what exactly is your problem with my comment about walnut?

I've cared for close to 1000 dogs. No one uses Bach Flower essences. I would know, because I was administering meds and vitamins for most dogs at one point or another.